PDA

View Full Version : 250r vs, yfz

Greg Chrin
01-24-2006, 05:37 PM
hey im plannin on buying a 250r with a fmf header and silencer. my freind has a yfz and i was wonder how the 250r would run against it and what i'd need to do to smoke it. He got one of those 06 bill ballance yfz stock and that thing rips!

hondardr4life
01-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Well, I would say bore it to 265, boysenn rad valve, 38mm carb, and air filter if it doesnt have one. Then you will have the kid on the yfz saying wow about your quad. But then you've gotta remember all the suspension components.

TheFontMaster
01-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Don't bore the stock cylinder to a 265 right away. Then when you need to rebuild the top end if you will need a new cylinder unless you are running an 86 piston. Ether get a top end kit, or if it needs a bore only bore it .020-.030 over at a time, depending on how deep the scratches in the cylinder are.

To get your 250r to keep up with, and pull ahead of your friends YFZ then I would say get a different pipe, some people like FMF, I don't, I would sugest Sparks racing, or LRD. A set of aftermarket reeds, a bigger carb, and a Cool Head will have you beating him in a drag race. Given that you have the skill to do that.

hondardr4life
01-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
Don't bore the stock cylinder to a 265 right away. Then when you need to rebuild the top end if you will need a new cylinder unless you are running an 86 piston. Ether get a top end kit, or if it needs a bore only bore it .020-.030 over at a time, depending on how deep the scratches in the cylinder are.

To get your 250r to keep up with, and pull ahead of your friends YFZ then I would say get a different pipe, some people like FMF, I don't, I would sugest Sparks racing, or LRD. A set of aftermarket reeds, a bigger carb, and a Cool Head will have you beating him in a drag race. Given that you have the skill to do that.

Good point on the cylinder. As for the whole pipe thing. If you're going to keep the FMF, get the silencer shortened. Rich Hetrick said that with the shortened silencer, the FMF is a good pipe. I would like to get a different pipe eventually, but this one is good for now.

Eddiesanders250
01-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
Good point on the cylinder. As for the whole pipe thing. If you're going to keep the FMF, get the silencer shortened. Rich Hetrick said that with the shortened silencer, the FMF is a good pipe. I would like to get a different pipe eventually, but this one is good for now.

Im in the same boat your in. I run my sparks 270 with an FMF pipe, runs strong and holy s*** its fast but id like to get another one. I would put that on the bottom of your list of things to buy.

hondardr4life
01-25-2006, 04:35 AM
Yea, a new pipe is definetly not on the top of the list. My FMF is pretty beat up though. The first part of the headpipe is alllll rusted up, and only has one loop for an exhaust spring on it. I'm going to weld another loop onto it, and attemp to clean the rust off, and then try to get the pipe to sit flat onto the exhaust flange.

robyone
01-25-2006, 11:19 AM
My R had a old rusty PTR TRX race pipe on it when I got it, so I got a nice new shiney FMF. The first ride I could immeditly tell the FMF didn't hit nearly as hard as the PTR. So I refurbished the PTR, and sold the FMF.
I think the fmf is a good upgrade over stock, but ounce you get a bigger carb and port your motor, there are alot of better pipes out there.