PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust slip-ons

BiggerRed 400ex
07-10-2002, 12:20 AM
I recently bought a 2002 400ex and am doing some "homework" on exhaust slip ons... but there are a ton out there. They all claim more power but which is a better pipe? Im kind of lost... im new to the 4 stroke world but had FMF on my previous ride and was happy with it. I am currently looking at the FMF Powercore IV-2 or the IV Q. White Bros. E -series, DMC alien slip on. Any recommendations??? Thanks in advance....

by the way... i want some sound out of the thing! this stock system makes it sound like a lawnmower... but i heard that some places do sound checks so i suppose not too loud???!! Thanks

Ryan

loganB
07-10-2002, 12:25 AM
go with the white brothers they sound great and add power. You can feal the power.:devil

07-10-2002, 05:10 AM
i would say White Brothers. but go with the R-4 system. i have it and i love it. stainless steel and loud as ****! i only have the silencer thats what i was guessing you wanted. great power to it too, no more kiss *** lawnmower sound either! later dayz!

YLW400
07-10-2002, 05:52 AM
You dont have the full system Racr? How much was that 250.00 or so right? Are there two different ones? YOu said you have the stainless one.

mountainman_270
07-10-2002, 09:11 AM
Hello,

I just purchased my bike in like new condition with a slip on yoshimura RS-3 titanium silencer ($400) and a k&N power kit. The airbox lid is removed and I run the 170 Dynojet (largest one supplied) at about 900 ft elevation. Now my friend just purchased a 2002 400ex and put a Big Gun full system ($450) and a power kit with the same 170 dynojet as mine. As far as sound, the big gun is louder. In a holeshot, my bike gets 'em and takes him into 4th gear, then its all over. He pulls away in 5th with about another 3-5 top mph over mine. Its the same when we trade 4-wheelers and race. When I ride his, I believe it has much more low end torque than mine, so no matter what anyone says, I believe the pipe you buy DOES matter. This is a good example of basically the same bike with different exhaust running better. I was lead to believe the Yoshi slip on was the BEST pipe available, but I get a little upset when I get beat buy a pipe with the same price. I cant totally putt down the yoshi pipe, it is still VERY loud and does make tons of power, and it wieghs next to nothing, and looks great. I have jetted down to 165 in mine and tried it with even less power. I would suggest the Big Gun to anyone now seeing what it is capable of. It looks great and is worth the money. And if anyone is looking for a Titanium Yoshi RS-3 slip on, give me an email ($350). Hey, at least its light in weight!!!! Oh, also, I am lookin to install a Hot cams stage one with a 11-1 compression stock bore piston. I was wondering if I am looking at any long term problems such as rocker arm wear and so forth, Ive heard it both ways, but Id rather be safe than sorry 5 years down the road. Do I really need to hard face rockers? Thanks for any replies and my two cents worth on pipes.

07-10-2002, 09:20 AM
I would go with the white brother r-series because the e is just built like crap.The packing has blown out on like 4 of them that i know of and they arent even a year old yet.i went out and got the full LRD chrome exhuat.We r having fun with it and it sounds great.Power wise it pulls harder than my friends 400 with an e-series.He evan has a bigger jet.I hav the 155 and he has the 160.I am going up to the 160 because of the pipe and expect to pull evan harder.My vote in the slip ons in far away from fmf on quads.The dyno just shows sound and like a little bit of power.

mountainman_270
07-10-2002, 09:31 AM
I'd agree, my friends LRD full system rocks, we installed a 160 main jet in it too. Its a very raspy pipe and also worth the money like the big gun, both are about equal. Thanks

EXflattracker
07-10-2002, 09:59 AM
Go with the Duncan Racing Fatboy 4 man. You will not be dissapointed with the gained power, throttle response, and also the great noise. It's a really deep thump sound just like a strong runnin 4 stoke should sound. I'd go with this pipe, and if not that go with Sparks.

BiggerRed 400ex
07-10-2002, 10:30 AM
Thanks for your help guys... so i guess it is down to LRD, BIG GUN, and white bros R series..... at this point is it just about sound?? im looking for that deep powerful sound? Further suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Also im interested in some other basic mods, the funds are a little shy seeing as how i just bought the thing, but i heard that re-jetting the carb makes a big difference.
Thanks
Ryan

07-10-2002, 10:32 AM
Mountainman, I think the difference you are seeing is, your buddies Big Gun is a full pipe with a larger headpipe which gives you more topend compared to your stock headpipe and Yosh slip on which keeps all of your bottom end. He is losing a little bottom end cause of the headpipe.:)

YLW400
07-10-2002, 10:47 AM
Does the LRD have a spark arrestor?

mountainman_270
07-10-2002, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the reply, but I knew that was the difference, I'm just saying that if I had to do it over, I WOULD not buy the yoshimura only because it is too pricey for the power it delivers. Thanks

mountainman_270
07-10-2002, 11:00 AM
I'm sorry, No, the LRD does not have a spark arrestor.

YLW400
07-10-2002, 12:25 PM
well, as of now, I am going with the R-series. WB. I think it is more pratical for me. I ride alot of tracks, but do also do the woods thing occasionally. I could probably get away with it actually.....having a pipe w/out a SA that is... But if I ever go to Hatfield/Mccoy or something like that, I dont wanna be that person. Be a big pain on the butt. So, I figure if I buy a pipe with one, Iwill be on the safe side. Plus, with the R series pipe, you can take the SA out for track riding. :D

Pepto_Bismol
07-10-2002, 01:55 PM
You asked about slip on's and I have to bump up the image of yoshimura here. I run the RS-3 comp(paid 250.00) with 165 main, no air box lid. I'm an aggressive rider and always push the limits on my bike. As far as power, on my bike the Yoshi makes excellent power lower through mid range all the way to the rev limiter in 5th. I have never dragged another EX with any other slip on or full exhaust that plainly outmanuevered me or blatenly out ran me unless they had some motor mods. But I will tell you this, at the track, for MX, 5th gear rarley comes into play (like never) so it's up to the rider with comparable bikes, and the Yoshi gives plenty of bottom end torque. It sounds great too. For those who live in area with sound restrictions, the pipe meets that (generally about 98 dB from the pipe) spec. The sound is crisp and not muffled. You might want to look up some old posts because there has been alot on this subject which you will find good info in. Good Luck.
Pepto :cool:

Pepto_Bismol
07-10-2002, 02:03 PM
BTW Bigger Red, just for thought, if you haven't done so already, you need to check and see if you need to adjust the thumb throttle cable and back out the excess slack. It usually comes from factory with it set so that you only have about 85% of full throttle available at the thumb throttle. Which means you will never reach top end speed of your bike.....
Pepto:cool:

BiggerRed 400ex
07-11-2002, 12:55 AM
Ok ,,, i'll have to start looking through the old forums.... thanks for the tip

FAST400
07-11-2002, 01:03 AM
go with the white bros. e series,its the best slip on out there right now 4 a stock or slightly modded motor.an its not all that loud,but louder than stock,a good deep tone.

BiggerRed 400ex
07-11-2002, 01:19 AM
How would i go about taking out the slack.... do they do that for break in purposes?? I thought there might be some slack but wasn't sure ... thanks again for the tip Pep.
Ryan

dariusld
07-11-2002, 11:07 AM
Go to the top of this page and click on search. Type in throttle adjustment and you will find it. In this forum the search feature isn't used enough. You can also look in the frequently asked questions forum for some other helpful tips. Or you can go to the search and type in "grinding exhaust welds, removing choke, parking brake". These are all good mods.

DiceMan400
07-11-2002, 06:07 PM
There is no real big differances between slip ons....... Some may give an extra horse than some others but the gains are not very noticable to begine with....... If you re-jet and add a new slip-on the gains will be much more noticable...... You sould re-jet when you add a pipe even if it is just a slip-on.....

PismoGuy400
07-11-2002, 11:35 PM
since you had it down basically to the sound of the pipe...

have you considered the pro circuit t-4??....it sounds EXCELLENT...honestly ive never had a single person say that they didnt like the sound that the t-4 puts out.

its also cheap at 190.00 from rocky mountain.

QuadJunkies
07-11-2002, 11:43 PM
GO with the Yoshi..I have it on my 300ex and our 400ex,all around good pipe..And it sounds awesome!! :)

BiggerRed 400ex
07-12-2002, 09:44 AM
Yea ... i just bought the K&N Power kit which has the pre-filter, filter and jet kit in it, but i am waiting to install it until after i buy the exhaust.....
No i haven't considered the pro circuit t-4 i'll look into it but i am really leaning toward the WB e series tunable.
Thanks for all the help
Ryan

Pepto_Bismol
07-12-2002, 01:54 PM
Bigger red, if you didn't find any good info on the throttle adjuments I'll post the "how to" tonight when I get home for yah...
Pepto:cool:

BiggerRed 400ex
07-16-2002, 10:05 AM
OK... thanks for all your input everyone... this site is pretty cool... I have decided on the WB e series exhaust.... i already have the K&N power kit so i am going to re-jet with that and change the pilot to a 42 AFTER i remove the choke from the carb..and then i am going to adjust the throttle cable play.... i should notice some kind of a difference over stock RIGHT??!!!:huh :D Thanks again for the input..... im still considering the whole 14t front sprocket...

Ryan

shook
07-16-2002, 10:34 AM
Id get a sparks complete system or a TC racing slip on.

BiggerRed 400ex
07-19-2002, 10:20 AM
when re-jetting the carb is it required to take the carb out?? i will also be removing the choke and i heard that you dont need the carb out to do that ..... any tips would be helpful ... thanks:)