PDA

View Full Version : Engine timing help (How do I?)

m1ke
01-24-2006, 12:12 PM
A while back me and my friend took my bike apart, and he just now tell's me he think's he was on the wrong stroke when we were setting the engine to top dead centre. I vaguely remember hearing him say the camlobes are up. I knew right then he screwed it up from where I had it.

My question to you is: How do I find the compression stroke? Does it matter? I'm just wondering if I need the compression stroke for the spark to go. I have no idea how to find it. Any ideas? I need to know ASAP.

NOTE: THIS IS FOR REASSEMBLY

underpowered
01-24-2006, 12:51 PM
hwo to time it:

On the left side crankcase cover there are two plugs.
Remove these plugs using the approriate allen key.

in the larger plug insert a 17mm socket adn look in the smaller holw for marks on the flywheel. there should be a T followed closely by and F.

The T is Top Dead Center and the F is Fire.

Once you find the T and align it with the corresponding mark on the crankcase cover, then you can take the valve cove off the top of the engine

Remove the cover completly exposing the cam, valves, ect...

There are three marks on the cam sprocket. Two align with the Head, while one is pointing Up. Most people time it with the lobes down, but truthfully it does not matter, but if you do time it with the lobes up, make sure the third mark is not showing and the other two are still aligned withteh head. It should fire and run correctly if you have the valves adjusted withing tolerance.

m1ke
01-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Below is a diagram in hopes you will be able to identify how this all works, I'm thinking the two ticks [ | | ] are to indicate the crank is on the compression stroke. There doesn't appear to be alot of replies for this.

JOEX
01-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Pull out the spark plug then hold a finger over the hole. Turn the motor over slowly until you start feeling pressure build. You are now on the compression stroke.

m1ke
01-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Pull out the spark plug then hold a finger over the hole. Turn the motor over slowly until you start feeling pressure build. You are now on the compression stroke.

dude the valve covers not on yet nothings gonna happen....

m1ke
01-24-2006, 08:34 PM
by the way this IS NOT a DIS-ASSEMBLY. THIS IS A REASSEMBLY

JOEX
01-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by m1ke
dude the valve covers not on yet nothings gonna happen....
I didn't hear that part and don't remember having two sets of timing marks on mine:ermm:

redrider05
01-24-2006, 08:57 PM
turn the motor till u hit those two lines the one befor the fire mark..if u have the cylinder on make sure the piston is at the top of the cylinder..then u are set on tdc compression..hope that helped alil

400exrider707
01-24-2006, 11:38 PM
I think I know what he's asking cause I too went through the same problem. You took the cam out? And now you dont know which way is what. Simple enough, just put the piston at TDC, the compression stroke is where you make it, because Honda designed it with a ghost spark on exhaust stroke, so it doesn't matter which TDC you are at. Set it at TDC, then put the cam in with the lobes pointing DOWN, and your set to go.