PDA

View Full Version : Loud mufflers

Mud Goat
01-24-2006, 10:53 AM
On my truck I got true dual exaust goin in to 3" stacks.
it is loud as heck. I can't even hear my radio over them and it's turned all the way up! I am thinking about putting flowmasters on it wat do yall think?

nowukno
01-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Get a louder radio. :p

j/k , I had flowmasters' on my old F150 and it sounded good and the sound level was just right.

FourFiftyFour
01-24-2006, 11:57 AM
I have flowmaster on my truck....love it. My friend just recently put a Gibson exhaust on his 04 z71...sounds pretty good too, but i like my flowmaster sound better.

honduh440
01-24-2006, 12:12 PM
get the 2 chambers not the 3

Titanium
01-24-2006, 12:45 PM
well if your trying to go for loudness stick with the stacks. but i have flowmaster 40's on my truck with no catylic convers and its pretty loud.

ShiftFMX
01-24-2006, 04:26 PM
What kind of truck is it??

Check out these sounds...

IMCO Muffler (http://www.grabthepower.com/sounds-front.asp)

ShiftFMX
01-24-2006, 04:28 PM
They're SINGLE Chamber Mufflers! I got one on my truck. Ive had duals straits for quite some time before this...and the muffler is only a little bit quieter

NacsMXer
01-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Hey, ShiftFMX, is there a way you could post up a sound clip of your IMCO? Thanks.

underpowered
01-24-2006, 04:46 PM
shift, what model is your muffler? how much are they compared to a folwmaster?

ShiftFMX
01-24-2006, 04:58 PM
The IMCO's are usually about $40 dollars. You can find distributors on thier website, and they also sell on ebay.

ShiftFMX
01-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Hey, ShiftFMX, is there a way you could post up a sound clip of your IMCO? Thanks.

Im having a little bit of a problem (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=206386) with mine right now, but, I can get you a sound clip of some one else's if you give me a minute.

ShiftFMX
01-24-2006, 05:02 PM
This Clip (http://huskyman.nrgservers.net/Weazel/truckrev.wmv) is of a 5.4L Ford F150 Super Crew

Scott-300ex
01-24-2006, 05:23 PM
If you got a diesel go with stacks and striaght pipe!

Titanium
01-24-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX

My buddy has a set of imco's on his 2001 ford f-15 and its pretty throaty its actually thoatier (sp) than the flowmaster 40's but not quite as loud.

HiperEX
01-24-2006, 06:26 PM
i run a flowmaster original 40 series on my truck with single in dual out love the sound it was kinda quiet at first but then after a month it sounds great nothing sounds like the deep rumble of a flowmaster

LTZ400rider
01-24-2006, 08:39 PM
i got a borla muffler no no tail piping
sounds deep

kdub33
01-24-2006, 08:48 PM
would dual exhaust sound alright on a ford ranger 4L V6? i'd like to have exhaust but it being only a 6 cyl and not a 8 cyl, im kind of skeptical on it.

Titanium
01-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by kdub33
would dual exhaust sound alright on a ford ranger 4L V6? i'd like to have exhaust but it being only a 6 cyl and not a 8 cyl, im kind of skeptical on it.

Some v6's sound pretty sweet with exhaust systems. like the chevy's v6 sounds kick a** with a exhaust system.

kdub33
01-24-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Titanium
Some v6's sound pretty sweet with exhaust systems. like the chevy's v6 sounds kick a** with a exhaust system.

well i'm new to the exhaust world so. What type of set-up would work well with it?? Glass packs? pipe size?

Titanium
01-24-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by kdub33
well i'm new to the exhaust world so. What type of set-up would work well with it?? Glass packs? pipe size?

Maybe some turbo mufflers would sound pretty good.

Camaroguy87132
01-25-2006, 12:02 PM
stacks are loud, but the loudest i have come across so far are dynomax bullets.. they are some of the loudest exhaust you will ever hear..

underpowered
01-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Camaroguy87132
stacks are loud, but the loudest i have come across so far are dynomax bullets.. they are some of the loudest exhaust you will ever hear..

bullets are great! like a glass pack but without the glasspack sound. very deep adn throaty. they are actually a race muffler. they vary in size and the sound depends on the size, the bigger (Longer) the quieter.

Mud Goat
01-25-2006, 12:32 PM

It's a 1990 Dodge 4x4.

Titanium
01-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Mud Goat
It's a 1990 Dodge 4x4.

Straight pipe it!:rolleyes:

Mxjunkie
01-25-2006, 12:41 PM

those systems are raspy as hell for the silverados haha

Mud Goat
01-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Straight pipe it!:rolleyes:

That's waht i'm sayin, I got true dual STRAIGHTS!!!

WKY400EX
01-26-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Camaroguy87132
stacks are loud, but the loudest i have come across so far are dynomax bullets.. they are some of the loudest exhaust you will ever hear.. Dynomax Bullets with an X-pipe sounds nasty. Got those on my truck and love them.

400exrules
01-26-2006, 01:31 PM
flowmasters sound pretty good:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5626898659860085564&q=flowmaster

but i prefer straights

ShiftFMX
01-26-2006, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
flowmasters sound pretty good:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5626898659860085564&q=flowmaster

but i prefer straights

I bet you'll be happy to know what I got fixed today!...

...What Muffler...

ShiftFMX
01-26-2006, 03:39 PM
AND I finally dished out the money for some new stainless steel tips! WooT WooT!

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/4916/dsc058134db.jpg

400exrules
01-26-2006, 03:41 PM
I bet you'll be happy to know what I got fixed today!...

...What Muffler...

nice!:devil:

how much does it cost to get straights put on, and what all do they do. do you tell them if you want to keep your cats or not, or will they even cut them off if you ask them to? So do they just fab up some pipes and you buy tips for it or does it come with tips?
do you have to goto a special exhaust shop to get it done?

ShiftFMX
01-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Well....

Some shops will do Straits...some wont. Just go there ask them if they can put you on some strait pipes W/O a muffler, and Go from there. Most shops WILL NOT cut your cats off. Most likely, they're going to cut your old muffler off and place a Y Pipe in its place and run back from there. It costed Me $200 for the strait pipes, but I brought along my own tips (THE FIRST TIME), The tips I bought today were $65 a piece INSTALLED, because they are stainless steel not cheap chrome that will rust away in a month.

Heres the Y Pipe...

400exrules
01-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Well....

Some shops will do Straits...some wont. Just go there ask them if they can put you on some strait pipes W/O a muffler, and Go from there. Most shops WILL NOT cut your cats off. Most likely, they're going to cut your old muffler off and place a Y Pipe in its place and run back from there. It costed Me $200 for the strait pipes, but I brought along my own tips (THE FIRST TIME), The tips I bought today were $65 a piece INSTALLED, because they are stainless steel not cheap chrome that will rust away in a month.

Heres the Y Pipe...

yah i hate seein a rusted tip.
So any automotive repair shop coul do it, just not all of them? Do they always use a Y pipe, cuz my friends ram has no muffler with an H pipe and its not that loud.

And ive also heard you could get them to run 2 pipes instead of 1, to 2 cats, and then straight out, and that its hella loud. seems like that would be alot more though.

how loud is it with 1 cat and straights? you need to get us some sound clips

ShiftFMX
01-26-2006, 04:09 PM
Dude, You live in tennessee and you dont have DUALS!?? :eek2: I have family down there and EVERYONE has duals on their trucks!

Just start callin shops, or asking your friends with duals (I KNOW YOU HAVE SOME!) where they got thiers. And please...Get stainless steel the first time!

Look at what happend to my chrome ones...

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7536/truck4gt.jpg

400exrules
01-26-2006, 04:16 PM
i dont have a truck yet, yah dont laugh...i have to pay the note, insurance and gas myself...thats why i dont have one. and i quit my job so that doesnt help either lol. i gotta go start fillin out some applications soon.

but yah, its hard to find a truck with stock exhaust.
my high is pretty much Z71 city, about 90% of the students trucks in the parking lot are z71's all with duals. i heard awhile back that some guys around here actually got into a fist fight arguing over whose pipes were louder lmfao.

so what do u know about them runnin two pipes with 2 cats, all the way back compared to one cat split with a Y to duals? how loud is your truck?

ShiftFMX
01-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Do some research online. My truck has FOUR Cats that come into one pipe, they all have sensors in them, thats why I didnt remove my cats. I would just Remove The muffler and leave it at that...believe me, you'll keep up, I have the LOUDEST truck in my school, if not my whole area!

My Cousin that lives in College Grove, TN(Marshall County) Has a Z71 thats strait pipe...and MAN is it loud! He also has headers...that helps too

400exrules
01-26-2006, 04:57 PM
Do some research online. My truck has FOUR Cats that come into one pipe, they all have sensors in them, thats why I didnt remove my cats. I would just Remove The muffler and leave it at that...believe me, you'll keep up, I have the LOUDEST truck in my school, if not my whole area!

My Cousin that lives in College Grove, TN(Marshall County) Has a Z71 thats strait pipe...and MAN is it loud! He also has headers...that helps too

whats his name, if u dont wanna post it just pm it to me, i might know him

i know quite a few straight piped guys around here, its music to my ears:cool:
cops dont really seem to care either, cuz these guys stomp it every chance they get and never get tickets. but you will get a ticket for loud subs around here though

Scott-300ex
01-26-2006, 05:20 PM
"My trucks the loudest." Everyone's ganna think thiers is louder, so don't get to big a head.

Also, straight pipes are easy, just go to a shop, or get a pipe bender, take out the muffler, AND CATS, and weld a new piece of pipe in there. Isn't hard, and shouldn't cost much at all. Just if you put a whole new pipes in, make sure they don't hit your driveshaft, frame, blah blah blah... And make sure they clear everything.

People who think they are my best friends, but I actually hate them cuz they're stupid and annoying, are always like, "Mines loud, mines loud." I'm like, good for you, know one cares!

Loud is good, but throaty and healthy is the best.

Put a good cam in there and that is wut makes a car idle, not the pipes.

Oh and if your puttin straights on, make sure you don't get rid of your O2 sensor.

underpowered
01-26-2006, 05:28 PM
I have headers, no cat, 3" in, dual 2.5" outs on my truck through flow 40 muffler. Sounds great, pretty loud. but if you are going for LOUD, True duals. An X-pipe or and H-pipe will help in power as it keeps the exhaust flowing and pressure equal in the banks. header do help out quite a bit, but not needed. ShiftFMX's truck is not a true dual setup, but is cheaper than haveing you entire system replaced. If the shop will not cut off your cats, or your dont want your cats cut off, a set of high flow cats will do wonders. My truck is much louder without the cat but with a muffler than it was with cats and straight pipes.

ShiftFMX
01-26-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
whats his name, if u dont wanna post it just pm it to me, i might know him

i know quite a few straight piped guys around here, its music to my ears:cool:
cops dont really seem to care either, cuz these guys stomp it every chance they get and never get tickets. but you will get a ticket for loud subs around here though

Jacob Gerweck

Titanium
01-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
I have headers, no cat, 3" in, dual 2.5" outs on my truck through flow 40 muffler. Sounds great, pretty loud. but if you are going for LOUD, True duals. An X-pipe or and H-pipe will help in power as it keeps the exhaust flowing and pressure equal in the banks. header do help out quite a bit, but not needed. ShiftFMX's truck is not a true dual setup, but is cheaper than haveing you entire system replaced. If the shop will not cut off your cats, or your dont want your cats cut off, a set of high flow cats will do wonders. My truck is much louder without the cat but with a muffler than it was with cats and straight pipes.

NO STAY AWAY FROM THE X-PIPES. they are bad news! they restrict so much airflow its not even funny!:huh

Scott-300ex
01-26-2006, 07:49 PM
NO STAY AWAY FROM THE X-PIPES. they are bad news! they restrict so much airflow its not even funny!:huh

He's either kidding or he's an idiot.

X-pipes, make it sound good, thats how Nascars sound how they do cuz they got them, H-pipes also make it sound better.

Titanium
01-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Actually they do restrict airflow cus when the pipes meet eachother and create the x u have all that air bein stuffed into the size of one pipe. i read it somewhere on a car web site. even at that the H pipe is still way better. so no i'm not an idiot.

trx400exxracer
01-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
He's either kidding or he's an idiot.

X-pipes, make it sound good, thats how Nascars sound how they do cuz they got them, H-pipes also make it sound better.

my brother has the h-pipes turndowns on his Toyota Tundra and man do they sound good I think he want 2 1/2 inch pipes though he's got 2 ich now

ugottabayou
01-26-2006, 08:14 PM
Actually they do restrict airflow cus when the pipes meet eachother and create the x u have all that air bein stuffed into the size of one pipe. i read it somewhere on a car web site. even at that the H pipe is still way better. so no i'm not an idiot.

It really depends what type of x pipe you have I have seen two types built. One was literally an x that the pipes met at a 90degree angle like this:

\/
/\

OK, so this is horrible but pretend those are pipes, you can see in the middle there isn't much room for exhaust flow (i don't think it was a very well built x-pipe that style does not get good flow.

Now this..

\ /
/ \

Thats the right way to do it, and has the same amount of flow as an h-pipe, so that type of x would be just as good. In the middle the pipes still balance the flow, but does not restrict. There is more space there

(sorry i had something way better but no lines would line up)

ugottabayou
01-26-2006, 08:16 PM
i know that first x is not a 90 degree angle but work with me here. and just say that the second x, the pipes barely meet, and still balances flow, but does not create a restriction like a y-pipe

If you have the right kind of x pipe done the right way it is just as good as an H

Titanium
01-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by ugottabayou
It really depends what type of x pipe you have I have seen two types built. One was literally an x that the pipes met at a 90degree angle like this:

\/
/\

OK, so this is horrible but pretend those are pipes, you can see in the middle there isn't much room for exhaust flow (i don't think it was a very well built x-pipe that style does not get good flow.

Now this..

\ /
/ \

Thats the right way to do it, and has the same amount of flow as an h-pipe, so that type of x would be just as good. In the middle the pipes still balance the flow, but does not restrict. There is more space there

See i ain't a total idiot :eek2: lol

ugottabayou
01-26-2006, 08:20 PM

no your not an idiot, but it is ok to have an x-pipe if the right kind is on there, that first one i demonstrated was like something i saw somebody build at home and didn't take the time to do it right. It all depends how much room is in the x for exhaust flow

X pipes are fine, but i think an h pipe would be easier to build. less bending

Scott-300ex
01-28-2006, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by ugottabayou

\/
/\

Now this..

\ /
/ \

How about this?

X

:eek:

LoL

And X-pipes ARE BETTER THAN H-pipes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read any car magazine.

And restricting airflow? The don't go into 1 pipe, they just meet and EQUALIZE back pressure in both sides, and it increases power, you actually get more power out of an X-pipe than open headers!

ugottabayou
01-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
How about this?

X

:eek:

LoL

And X-pipes ARE BETTER THAN H-pipes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read any car magazine.

And restricting airflow? The don't go into 1 pipe, they just meet and EQUALIZE back pressure in both sides, and it increases power, you actually get more power out of an X-pipe than open headers!

:rolleyes: I said work with me here.....

But true, an x pipe may LOOK like its crammed into one spot but its not. Just as good as anything else.

400exrules
01-29-2006, 01:17 PM
bump.

anyone got any sound clips?