PDA

View Full Version : Eeeeeek Rust On New 450r

450RgETiRdONE
01-24-2006, 12:00 AM
I got back from the nasty arse wet dunes. Took quads out of the trailer as soon as i got home, and washed them up real well with soap water.

Then put them back in the trailer. Well...... not to smart I didn’t think about all the moisture still in the enclosed trailer.

I took out the new 450R about two and half weeks later and noticed, some rust on couple weld joints, and the ball joints of the arm, and where the tie rods connect top of those bolts.

What can be done regarding removal of this? WHITE GASOLINE or what?:confused:

Don’t want this to hurt my bike.

Should I look in to POWDER coating my frame???????

Plus seems like some weld joints are getting hit with this rust. Or is it like erosion of sorts from we sand.....

Please help ASAP my bike melting!!!!

quad9
01-24-2006, 05:55 AM
mine has done the same thing. the factory does not blast the frame or clean the welds befor paint.

z71
01-24-2006, 09:31 AM
spray the frame down with WD-40 and wipe off the rust.

01-24-2006, 09:57 AM
this happens to 100% of stock frames.
no way to completely avoid it.............other than pc every year.

01-24-2006, 11:21 AM
man just deal with it...ITS A FUXXING QUAD not a girls car

450RgETiRdONE
01-24-2006, 11:57 AM
Well ya no kidd' how ever I just didn't want it to like start getting to the joints and week n them, but i guess the rust would have to be hard core to get to that point.

Thanks

compedge
01-24-2006, 05:29 PM
I wash my atv w/ simple green and hot water , I blow it off w/ compressed air or a leaf blower. Than I use a half can of wd-40 over the complete bike. The plastic always looks new and the mud just falls off when you wash it. ( i dont wd-40 the seat or grips). Theres never any rust and all the hoses and cables will never dry rott. It also keeps mosture off everything.

CdaleXtreme
01-24-2006, 06:56 PM
You really really have to neglect your quad for the rust to do any sort of damage. Im talking, sitting outside for months at a time in the weather etc.

give it a quick WD here and there to keep things protected and you will be good to go.