PDA

View Full Version : Eeeeeek Rust On New 450r

450RgETiRdONE
01-23-2006, 11:59 PM
I got back from the nasty arse wet dunes. Took quads out of the trailer as soon as i got home, and washed them up real well with soap water.

Then put them back in the trailer. Well...... not to smart I did'nt think about all the mosture still in the enclsoed trailer.

I took out the new 450R about two and half weeks later and noticed, some rust on couple weld joints, and the ball joints of the a arm, and where the tie rods connect top of those bolts.

What can be done regarding removal of this. WHITE GASOLINE or what?:confused:

Dont want this to hurt my bike.

Should I look in to POWDER coating my frame???????

Plus seems like some weld joints are getting hit with this rust. or is it like erosion of sorts from we sand.....

Please help ASAP my bike melting!!!!

Dubzy14
01-26-2006, 05:04 PM
I wouldnt even know...dont powdercoat it unless u really want to change the look of the bike..cuz its alot of work taking it apart and putting it back together...try using some white lithum on the rusty spots and scrub them hard and get it off...and if its stil there just paint over it with some similar color paint if you can match it good enough...i did that with my a-arms when grass chipped the paint off haha..looked good

prepracing
01-26-2006, 06:50 PM
its just surface rust...no big deal, just get some touch up paint for the frame. as for those other parts you listed the sand probably stripped the clear coat or sealer off them and caused rust spots. About the only thing you could do is clean off the rust with steel wool lightly and spray some clear coat back on them and see what that does

mc1984
01-28-2006, 10:14 AM
I would try wiping it down real good with a rag and some automatic transmission fluid. (seriously)

A friend of mine has a CORR Super Buggy (Like what you see racing in the desert)
The entire tube chassis on his car is bare metal. After every race the car is washed and naturally there is some rust because of the bare metal. We take a rag soaked in automatic transmission fluid and wipe the entire thing down. This will remove any surface rust and will also offer protection against rust. It works alot better than you would think. This should work as long as the rust isnt to bad.
Good Luck

dirtline
01-28-2006, 12:45 PM
after a beach race i was in i had the same problem. just get ride of the rust with some sand paper and clear coat it good as new.