PDA

View Full Version : 440 kit..how much hp?

440exnacsracer
07-09-2002, 08:05 PM
ive been waiting for 8 weeks on my motor. i was just wondering if anyone knew about how much hp my motor will have after doing the following, i know it cant be exact, just wanted a guesstamite

advanced sleeve
440 wiseco piston (10.5-1)
cometic gaskets
valves adjusted
correctly jetted carb, removed choke
k&n air filter
hmf silencer

later
Ben

NacsRacing400
07-09-2002, 08:10 PM
Without the cam ,carb and porting and polishing you will not get barely anymore power then u have now. You might go up a few hps, Mabey like 29-30 hp but with the extra machining and time put in the thing can be made to push 50 hp if done right. I cant believe you have been waiting 8 weeks just for that work to be done, you should be able to take that to a machine shop and have it done in a day or two.

mikeboone
07-09-2002, 08:19 PM
I agree..Do this: Stage 2 Hotcam (app $130) and Port/Polish head (app 200) . The Hotcam has specs comparable to WB track cam but w/o required hardfaced rockers. You also wont have to get HD valve springs. I really believe there is more power increase with a high lift cam and high comp piston than just a bigger bore. You will be very disapointed if you dont do moe than just 440 bore. Good luck!

440exnacsracer
07-10-2002, 04:21 PM
thanks guys. the reason its takin so long is i found out i needed a new clutch, then a new clutch dissengage pin, and all the swingarm bearings. the swingarm pivot bolt was bent, and that crushed my bearings, so i had to replace that and everytime i order a new bearing(s) etc, its either the wrong one or i needed another piece. i was going to get a cam, but im so antious to get it back, i thing im going to wait till this fall...:huh oh wait it is almost fall! not too much longer. anyway, the guy who did my motor work said he was goin to clean the head up too, but i dont know if he ported and polished it.

carlj75
07-14-2002, 05:10 PM
If I had about $900 to spend, and did everything but the machining myself, could I have a motor with about 50hp? What kind of set-up would you recommend?

nakomis0
07-14-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by carlj75
If I had about $900 to spend, and did everything but the machining myself, could I have a motor with about 50hp? What kind of set-up would you recommend?

I have about $2300 into my motor. And it dyno'd at 34 hp without the FCR. Probably add 3-5 more Hp with that. I'm guess I have max 37 hp, its prolly less.:(

If you want 50hp, you better get yourself a 25hp shot of NOS.:p

07-15-2002, 07:57 AM
wow man you got yourself a *****ty kit or you didnt build it up right, also spending that cash your motor should be able to rip your arms off. what a way to throw away that kind of money. im sorry man but it seems like it aint right for that amount of cash

PismoGuy400
07-15-2002, 01:03 PM
I have about $2300 into my motor. And it dyno'd at 34 hp without the FCR. Probably add 3-5 more Hp with that. I'm guess I have max 37 hp, its prolly less.

34 hp??..... ex's are pushing that w/ a pipe, no lid,filter, and jetting...you should be WAY more than 34 with your mods

07-15-2002, 01:59 PM
ive been waiting for 8 weeks on my motor. i was just wondering if anyone knew about how much hp my motor will have after doing the following, i know it cant be exact, just wanted a guesstamite

hmmmm about 28hp:D Seriously not much more. But it will sound fast with the HMF. :rolleyes:

Forget about the wiseco 440 kit and look into someone elses like the IMS etc. The wiseco is going to bring your compression to about 8.9:1 yes its gonna lower it. The IMS isnt set up right either but from what I have heard aboutthe weisco and my experience with the ims the ims is set up a little better. (search out "have you decked the cylinder" )

Dont waste your time without doing the cam, intake and at min removing the welds inside the header. I like to have the option of having the choke since I would rather be able to start it and ride than have a minimal hp gain and be watching my buds ride while I am wishing it would start.

wow man you got yourself a *****ty kit or you didnt build it up right, also spending that cash your motor should be able to rip your arms off. what a way to throw away that kind of money. im sorry man but it seems like it aint right for that amount of cash
$hitty kit??? Well most are but thats still 25-35% increase over stock, I know people with 3 times the $$ into their quads but with no more mods etc than mine, a lot depends on who what where if you know what I mean. Check out the thread I mentioned above it will help explain the problem, and the mickey dunlap tech atricle is good to check out also.

nakomis0
07-15-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by PismoGuy400

34 hp??..... ex's are pushing that w/ a pipe, no lid,filter, and jetting...you should be WAY more than 34 with your mods

LOL, a piped 400ex aint getting no where near 34hp. They might possibly be getting 34 hp at the motor. I doubt that even.

When i say I have about 37hp, I'm talking HP thats getting to the ground. I have no clue what my HP is at the motor.

As for me having a *****ty kit.. Trust me .. I don't. I have yet to see a 400ex faster than mine. I would even gamble and say ...'I have the fastest 400ex, running on gas in Michigan' ... I'm atleast in the top 5:blah

Thats just how it goes guys, If I can find my old Dyno sheet I'll post. I'm also going to look on the web to see if I can find any others. .. and don't come here and post some exhaust manufactures dyno ... saying so and so exhaust put ot 35 hp, because thats crap, and it it is true, its dyno'd from the motor and not at the ground.

Ps. That price includes my exhaust, carb, cdi and me doing all the work myself.

400exRacerX
07-15-2002, 02:30 PM
Nakomis, I bet you'd have alot more HP to the ground if you ran a higher compression.

Also, having adjusted valves and gaskets doest add HP.

Get a cam, carb, and prot and polish and you will get the most out of your 440.

07-15-2002, 02:39 PM
Well looked around the net it it seems that a stock 400 puts out between 24 and 29hp, with a pipe and jetting its up to 27-36hp. Well I aint buying all this crap, like everyting else about quads you need to read between the lines.

Also, having adjusted valves and gaskets doest add HP.

Not exactly. If you are using the thinner gaskets you will find a pretty good boost in compression and just go and tighten those valves all the way and see what happens. But I guess you were assumeing that the valves were set within reason to begin with.

Get a cam, carb, and prot and polish and you will get the most out of your 440. Bet this would help.

nakomis0
07-15-2002, 03:15 PM
I have all the goodies with my 440. The only mild mod I have is the 10:1 piston. I slightly regret i went with that, but I was thinking reliabilty. It could be a blessing in disquise, I have real high motor temps, and I'm still looking for a good way to cool it.

nakomis0
07-15-2002, 04:44 PM
Ok heres an actual Dyno, not some manufactures twisted truth...

http://www.paatving.com/Articles/tu...turbo400ex.asp#

Its located near the middle of the page. Its a 400ex with Turbo, hes putting out 48 Hp. I'm 11Hp behind this guy. I don't think thats too shabby, considering his Turbo prolly costs $3000-4000+, and I only spent $2.3k. I just started looking maybe I will find just a normal 440 dyno.

BTW.. I'm with 440ex4me about the amount of Hp, 440exnacsracer is going to put out. '28hp'

DiceMan400
07-15-2002, 06:29 PM
IMS 440 kit....... $299.95
Top end labor... $295.95
Machine and install sleeve..... $194.95
Precision cylinder bore.... $68.95
Cylinder porting and head mods stage 3......$245.00
Cylinder head rebuild 3 angle 4 valve grind seat plus parts..$115.95
Performance cam (core charge)....... $159.95
41mm FCR carb with cable and intake adapter..... $495.95
For a grand total of....... $1,877.00 Your EX can be as fast as mine:D ..........

07-15-2002, 08:34 PM
Well since the 440 was in the quad when I got it and all i have had to do is get it set up correctly both you guys have a whole lot more $$$ into yours. But I do have like 3-4 hundred into the machine work, rings, gaskets and cam etc.

Dice cant wait to compare my low budget motor to yours , that is if you ever get down this way. We may both learn something.

mopar 400
07-16-2002, 01:24 AM
Alright, I have to agree her with NamisO. I have the 416 kit, xr400 cam, hevy duty valve springs, je 10.8:1 piston, correct decking, stock carb (for now), K&N air filter with no lid, and at the time of my dyno run a full DR double barrel exhaust. I toped out at just below 32 horsepower at the rear wheels. I was a little upset, since I expected more, but this was true real wheel horsepower. I do have way more power than stock, and the seat of the pants test is always the real tell tell sign of power!

DiceMan400
07-16-2002, 06:14 PM
I think my work is low budget compared to the other guys out here....... It would be cool to ride with you and race alittle....... I do pretty good with what I have..... Can always use more power though........ Just when you think you are fast someone with more money comes around and they are faster........ But it is all fun........ I had a ball even when my bike was stock.....

07-16-2002, 09:53 PM
Just when you think you are fast someone with more money comes around and they are faster........

So true. I had learned this before I was old enough to drive when I was putting together a street/ strip camaro and get reminded of it everytime I get into anything performance. Though I have seen more than one hi dollar operation screw up a little thing here or there and blow it big time.

But as the saying goes (no not mine, I borrowed it) its not cubic inches that wins the race it CUBIC DOLLARS.

And that ride would be cool, if we can set up something in the next month or so maybe meet up at the rausch creek meet from the other thread.

Nausty
07-17-2002, 12:26 AM
i've seen a bunch of dyno's of the 400ex and most of the time in the big pipe shootouts the good pipes have about 29hp with jetting changes i'd imagine you could get 30 by removing choke, grinding out pipe weld and no air box lid and air filter.

TheChknhwk
07-17-2002, 05:46 AM
Dynojet.com posts the RWHP of the stock 400ex at 26.5, or at least I would have to assume it is RWHP since their dyno looks like the bike sits right on top of it.

Hawk

TheChknhwk
07-17-2002, 05:48 AM
BTW, the green lines are stock, the blue line is K&N stage I power up & the red is stage II.

Here is the torque graph.

Nausty
07-17-2002, 06:05 PM
wouldn't they want to compare to the lowest hp the 400ex can make to the highest for their product to make it seem like they put out more power?

Matt Fisher
07-18-2002, 10:25 PM
There are a ton of factors that will influence what a vehicle "dynos" at. The brand and model of dynometer, last time it was calibrated, ambient air temp, humidity, what gear the pull was made in, bike was/was not warmed up, gearing/tire height, tire slippage, stright through pull or a "spiked"pull. An experienced dyno operator can make back to back runs with the same vehicle look totally different. They can also help in getting very consistant readings.

A 10% difference ends up making a 36hp bike look like a 32hp bike (or a 40 horse bike).

The other thing to consider is while people love to sling around peak numbers, it's the power curve getting to that peak number that really produces what we all want- acceleration.

07-30-2002, 10:20 PM
someone said that a stok 400ex puts out 29 horse, and a piped and rejetted wil put out 36 hp. thats not tru.i laugh at it everytime i read it.if it realy did have that much of an increas, think about it, porting and polishing would make it almost 50, cams would b around 57,head workd will b around 63, and pros do a lot more than that and they stil only have around 60 horse, so your statement is like a joke