PDA

View Full Version : stripping paint

zeppelin
01-23-2006, 02:20 PM
okay ive pretty much decided i am going to strip the paint off of my 01 yz250f. mainly 'cause all of the newer years leave it bare aluminum and i am tired of repainting the spot where my boot rubs the paint off. do yall have any ideas of what the pest way to do this would be. i have a wire bruch wheel for my high-speed grinder that i can use but i dont think i can get into all of the really tight spots with it

philsan
01-23-2006, 02:27 PM
If the frame is alunimum, don't use any type of wire brush. It "curls" the metal and will look like crap. Find yourself a good stripper then blast it off with a pressure washer.

HiperEX
01-24-2006, 04:56 PM
i would never use a wire wheel on a high speed grinder there dangerous the wire comes off and sticks into you i know a guy around my area that actually had a piece of that wire come off go into his eye he is no blind in one eye, for good paint stripper go to walmart and pick up this stuff called aircraft paint remover it works great, spray on let it set you can see it eat up the paint then just whip it off.

XCRACER26
01-24-2006, 07:17 PM
I would get it sand blasted. its worth the 10 bucks to have it done rather than deal with stripper that always manage to get on your skin and burn the **** out of you.

zeppelin
01-24-2006, 08:31 PM
i just finished getting all of the paint off today, i used a samd blaster, then i went back with sand paper and steel whool and some eagel 1 polish to finish it up, turned out great