PDA

View Full Version : 2006 promblems

FreeStylerEx
01-23-2006, 02:07 PM
well i bought the first 06 er around my area and now since ive had it. its just making so many promblems...the tierods bent into horse shoe shapes 1st day i had it...they just bent off a jump? wtf? well now my starter is being dumb.. i went to start it sunday and instead of turning over.. the strater just kept turning and made a winding noise in the out turning the motor over.? and when I can get it to start it sounds like timingh chani is smacking somethnig? i dont know im takin it back to the dealer tommaro after classes.. I just hope its nuthing seriouse... and Honda warrenties it if anythings broke?

while its in the shop ima have HRC kit put in yay

RedRacer44
01-23-2006, 02:53 PM
I've had mine since October, no problems at all except issues with the HotCam which I've already addressed. I have at least half-dozen MX races on it and she just flat out rips.

I love my '06....

The motor is gonna make a lot more noise like the CRF does....just a thought.

KRMit
01-23-2006, 03:12 PM
I've also had mine since October and haven't had any problems. I think what you're hearing is probably normal noise the '06 motor has. As for the tie rods, I've had some pretty nasty landings and they were unaffected. You either got a defective part or landed seriously off-camber or something. No idea on the starter.

sweet lou
01-23-2006, 03:20 PM
i had the same problem with my 06 last week! and it's was my spark plug;) and the rejet the bike in same time because it's cold out here(canada)!

FreeStylerEx
01-23-2006, 03:33 PM
no its not normal engine noises.. you kno wwhen the bike i running and you hit the starter and it makes like a winding noise ? it sounds like that but wont turn engine over i changed battery. plug. and everything..im so clueless.. i mean i can get her to fire up..but when it stalls it takes at least 3 minutes to get it runnign again..its kind of getting dumb..now i wish i would of went with the yfz..i have had nuthing but promblems with it and i sure hope the mechanics no what it is..dont get me wrong i love honda and thier bikes...but this is the only bike that I have had promblems with.? the dealers gonna adjust my valves rejet it..and makesure nuthing is broke in the topend.

HAVOK
01-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Are you using the hot start after you stall it?

KRMit
01-23-2006, 03:45 PM
Mine was kinda hard to start until I adjusted the fuel screw. Adjusting that might help, but I dunno what would make the starter spin freely.

KRMit
01-23-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by HAVOK
Are you using the hot start after you stall it? No hot start on an electric start.

HAVOK
01-23-2006, 03:53 PM
I didn't know that.:confused: :cool:

FreeStylerEx
01-23-2006, 03:58 PM
any one know how baldwin is doing converting them over to kickers?..any1 know if hes gonna sell a kit?

FreeStylerEx
01-23-2006, 04:12 PM
any one know how baldwin is doing converting them over to kickers?..any1 know if hes gonna sell a kit?

RedRacer44
01-23-2006, 05:17 PM
It can be done. The cases are identical, just have to buy all the parts plus 2 additional gears that will be needed to make the conversion. Looking at about $400 in parts.....

yamablaster24
01-23-2006, 06:46 PM
unless my starter gives me problems i love the elec. start. My buddy has 05 and we were racin on track ( practice ) and if he stalled i could put 1/2 a lap on him as to where say i hopped a berm and stalled i hit the button and i was off.

FreeStylerEx
01-23-2006, 09:47 PM
i dont know what to do..

Dave400ex
01-24-2006, 08:16 PM
What did the Honda dealership say?

FreeStylerEx
01-24-2006, 08:30 PM
they will let me know in a day or so to tell me what it is..mechanic thinks the starter gears or something woreout? i dnno it should be warrentied tho fosho

andy roth
01-24-2006, 08:41 PM
I am sure the bendix Is the problem with the starter. Starters are all the same. The gear that connects into the flywheel is not working correctly. It sounds like the starter motor is working but the gear doesnt engage on the flywheel. I totally understand why your upset. This is the time when you find out how good your dealership is. So let us know what happens.

Dave400ex
01-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Are these problems with the starters becoming frequent, or are just a few having problems?

trick250r
01-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Are these problems with the starters becoming frequent, or are just a few having problems?

im wondering the same thing :ermm:

aroracer72
01-26-2006, 09:08 PM
Did you PROPERLY break it in and change the oil and filter from the dealer????? Also how many hours on it???? Also what mods did you have done to it??...and i dont know what to say about the tie rods, but maybe you bottomed too hard??
CHAD

JIMTED79
01-27-2006, 09:02 PM
It sounds like your bike was built on a monday mornig:(

wildheer
01-27-2006, 09:44 PM
ok, it looks like no one else is gonna say it so i will. I'm sorry if I'm wrong but YOU sound like the problem. First of all, tie rods don't just bend into horse shoes, especially not one Honda would use, especially not on their purpose built flagship bike with beefed up parts even from last years model. Losing control and smashing into something big, like, say a cinder block might do it, but it would definitely not happen all by itself. I would be willing to bet that out of the 300 million ATV's that Honda has built, they never put a tie rod on one that would bend itself into a horse shoe on its own. And certainly no jump that YOU took would have caused that either. Something on you would have broke first. Now, as far as the starter goes, that's not such a far fetched thing to believe, however, with your prior comments on the tie rod it leads me to call BS on that one too. Maybe holding the starter down for 16 minutes straight when its cold would cause that or something. 10 year old Honda ATV starters are unlikely to do that much less ones that are less than 4 months old. If it's even true, I'm calling user error and abuse. Hell, you can't even seem to spell Problem correctly much less probably don't even have a real one. Again, if I'm completely off here and you have that 1 in a million problem Honda, then I apologize.

coryatver
01-27-2006, 11:00 PM
yeah your spelling and composition is really bad man "yay". I am really surprised I have never heard anything bad with stock honda tie rods. You must have landed really bad! Good luck getting it worked out and please next time you post take a little time to write out your question nicely.

prepracing
01-28-2006, 03:32 AM
if your tierods bent from landing a jump then your shocks are set to soft for however big the jump was that you hit

Jersey450R
01-28-2006, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by JIMTED79
It sounds like your bike was built on a monday mornig:(
or friday afternoon...

FreeStylerEx
01-28-2006, 05:58 PM
wildheer...for one thing. the 06 tierods are different then 04-05 i bought 05 tierods froma friend put them on havent had one promblem..the 06 tie-rods are like a cheaper aluminum or sumthing..my dealer called honda and they said they were probbaly heated wrong or something dumb. it was like a 20 foot double..? and ive hit the jump for the last 3 years.. so its not me...

but btw wildheer ive got a prombelm and thats your b.s..you dont come up and be like o i think your the promblem man...thats really immature btw... the mods are just a exhaust..propegs douglas rims and holeshots and a set of bars....and yes its jetted... hondas replacing my starter.. dealer said the starter was fried..but I have no idea how thats possible?

Dave400ex
01-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Well at least they are replacing it, but that is odd. I bet it runs better after you have the HRC put on.

aroracer72
01-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Starters only get fried for certain reasons in that short of a time. Its either from having a poorly tuned quad and cranking it too death, bad starter components, or something very odd. And Did you break it in at all when you got it??...and BTW breaking it in doesnt mean puttings around teh yard slowly gettin on it now and then. It means two idle sessions, in which you let the engine fully cool down in between. Then you drive it steady RPM's for at least an hour total time, In which you break it up into two rides or more. Especially on a machine like the 06 honda, if this is not done then any premature failures are the owners fault, unless its a rare rare lemon. But im really jsut saying this not to jsut accuse you or anything, but to let everyone know that these quads arnt play/trail quads like the old trusty 400ex's!!!!

But glad to hear your dealer is doing there part, its great to hear that actually.
Chad

rowlrag
01-28-2006, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by aroracer72
Starters only get fried for certain reasons in that short of a time. Its either from having a poorly tuned quad and cranking it too death, bad starter components, or something very odd. And Did you break it in at all when you got it??...and BTW breaking it in doesnt mean puttings around teh yard slowly gettin on it now and then. It means two idle sessions, in which you let the engine fully cool down in between. Then you drive it steady RPM's for at least an hour total time, In which you break it up into two rides or more. Especially on a machine like the 06 honda, if this is not done then any premature failures are the owners fault, unless its a rare rare lemon. But im really jsut saying this not to jsut accuse you or anything, but to let everyone know that these quads arnt play/trail quads like the old trusty 400ex's!!!!

But glad to hear your dealer is doing there part, its great to hear that actually.
Chad
Just for curiosity, is this how you should break in say a new Ford? Cause when they come off the line, there WFO!

aroracer72
01-28-2006, 09:31 PM
And you still think that breakin it in isnt good for it if they ran them for a VERY short period of time WOT????

Quads are only thrown on a test stand(rollers) and started and have a couple quick revvs to make shure they run then bam off to shipping. It is on that special test stand weres there little to NO wheel resistance(as in compared to ground) soo breaking them in is still VITAL to how long you want your quad to last!!!...But bilieve what you want, i see were your coming from. Its jsut ive built ...well lets say plent..lol....of motors and breaking it in proves to produce less bearing and ahrd part failures and premature engine failure.

Breakin in the engine is like heat treating it, your setting all the components into syncronization and hardening all teh surfaces that are still fresh and new. This is why ill never buy a quad from the dealer that doesnt have the tire nipples on the tires, because that means the dealer boys did some parking lot riding on them....and that means your engine life has already been shortened. Breaking in your engine could make it last a day longer, a week longer, a month, heck, sometimes even a season. But isnt it worth one day of your flipping life to ensure your engine is all intune and perfectly matched to each other????
Chad

aroracer72
01-28-2006, 09:33 PM
OHHH and one thing i forgot to add, DO YOU THINK THAT A FORD IS IN AS HIGH OF STATE OF PERFORMANCE AND TUNE AS lettssss sayyyyy A 450 RACE QUAD?????

Didnt think soo
CHAD

FreeStylerEx
01-28-2006, 09:58 PM
what does that mean?

rowlrag
01-28-2006, 10:24 PM
OHHH and one thing i forgot to add, DO YOU THINK THAT A FORD IS IN AS HIGH OF STATE OF PERFORMANCE AND TUNE AS lettssss sayyyyy A 450 RACE QUAD?????

Didnt think soo
CHAD
I was just askin a question.

FreeStylerEx
01-28-2006, 10:31 PM
i did a break in process I looked up on this site somewhere.. I mean the bike runs so good..but its just starting? like when you go hit the starter the first time of the day it fires rite up...But the trouble occures if it is stalled..like i dont know mine has been wierd. If you jump sometimes it will stall out when you land, I hope it doesnt affect my race season this year? Ill have to sattle up on the old 416 and im dreading it...= (.....i should be able to pick it up tuesday. so ill let yall know how it runs?

Dave400ex
01-29-2006, 09:09 AM
Rowlrag have you had a chance to try and figure out the slow starting and not being able to give it gas when starting issues? I had PMed Shaff and he said you were going to look at his.

aroracer72
01-29-2006, 09:59 AM
Maybe something to do with it being in gear causes this problem???......I dont know much about the 06 starters but next time try always starting it in nuetral...unless you already are doing that. But you should have to if you have teh clutch pulled in.

And sorry about my second message above...i was having a bad BAD day......:rolleyes:
CHAD

rowlrag
01-29-2006, 10:23 AM
Rowlrag have you had a chance to try and figure out the slow starting and not being able to give it gas when starting issues? I had PMed Shaff and he said you were going to look at his.
No, not yet. I myself am sticking with 04-05, mainly because of parts replacement cost. Alot of the 06 parts are 2-3 times more than 05.

aroracer72
01-29-2006, 11:29 AM
Soo the parts are like yamaha parts now :p

Yeah i have the chance to sell my 04 and get an 06, but im modifying my 04 and sticking with it cause one it will be fully modified, and two i dont wanna deal with new again.
CHAD

popo
01-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Soo the parts are like yamaha parts now :p

If was like a Yamaha it would start fast now would'nt it. :devil:

aroracer72
01-29-2006, 12:56 PM
Personally i hate electric starters. If i bought an 06, i would NOT get with with electric starting. Its unreliable.
CHAD

QuadRacer041
01-29-2006, 01:28 PM
And you still think that breakin it in isnt good for it if they ran them for a VERY short period of time WOT????

Quads are only thrown on a test stand(rollers) and started and have a couple quick revvs to make shure they run then bam off to shipping. It is on that special test stand weres there little to NO wheel resistance(as in compared to ground) soo breaking them in is still VITAL to how long you want your quad to last!!!...But bilieve what you want, i see were your coming from. Its jsut ive built ...well lets say plent..lol....of motors and breaking it in proves to produce less bearing and ahrd part failures and premature engine failure.

Breakin in the engine is like heat treating it, your setting all the components into syncronization and hardening all teh surfaces that are still fresh and new. This is why ill never buy a quad from the dealer that doesnt have the tire nipples on the tires, because that means the dealer boys did some parking lot riding on them....and that means your engine life has already been shortened. Breaking in your engine could make it last a day longer, a week longer, a month, heck, sometimes even a season. But isnt it worth one day of your flipping life to ensure your engine is all intune and perfectly matched to each other????
Chad

you sound like your trying to break in a 2 stroke, not a 4 stroke.

check this link out

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

thats the way to do it.

QuadRacer041
01-29-2006, 01:30 PM
Personally i hate electric starters. If i bought an 06, i would NOT get with with electric starting. Its unreliable.
CHAD

i never had an electric start fail on me yet.
my 400ex started great and so does my 06.
on my 06 it was just a matter of doing a little tweaking and she fire's up in half a revolution of cranking.

Dave400ex
01-29-2006, 02:11 PM
QuadRacer041, I am interested in what tweaking you did? Was it just jetting, or some other things too?

QuadRacer041
01-29-2006, 03:05 PM
QuadRacer041, I am interested in what tweaking you did? Was it just jetting, or some other things too?

lol i cant tell you i might have to kill you....:devil:

400ex45
01-29-2006, 05:10 PM
my starts easy i put a pipe on it so i rejeted it. and another thing is that my idle was to slow and it would start easy so i bump the idle up using a tach to what the spec is and it starts easy know

aroracer72
01-29-2006, 06:42 PM
No, i was stating on how to break anything in. 4 strokes are even MORE important then 2 strokes in breaking in cause there is far more hard parts to break in.
CHAD

And my knowledge is from actaully working on engines and testing and trial and error, not listening to soem article. But thats a good way to start. :)
CHAD

4ABURN
01-29-2006, 07:18 PM
Heat cycles are very Important to a new TIGHT motor. I started my 06 for the first time let it get warm,then turned it of let it cool down,then took it for a ride varied my rpms then let it cool down again did this about 5 times (all in one day) Its 3 days old now and I'm ON IT.thats what I have done to all my toys 2 and 4 strokes.

PS: My 06 has started perfect every time even when its been -10 outside:D I love my 06 electric start.

OH I do recommend taking that 42 pilot out and throwing it in the garbage.(way to lean)**** emissions!!!!!!

Anyway my @cents:)

aroracer72
01-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Good man.
Chad

QuadRacer041
01-30-2006, 05:03 AM
No, i was stating on how to break anything in. 4 strokes are even MORE important then 2 strokes in breaking in cause there is far more hard parts to break in.
CHAD

And my knowledge is from actaully working on engines and testing and trial and error, not listening to soem article. But thats a good way to start. :)
CHAD

maybe if you read the article youd understand why to do it that way.

remmyTRX
01-30-2006, 07:18 AM
I was out riding with a buddy of mine and his did the same exact thing.

Contrary to what anyone says, you are not the problem.

This doesn't happen to him all the time, just sometimes when he starts the quad (hot start), it makes a whirring sound.... a really very odd sound.

I had to bump start him. That was the only way we were able to get the quad to turn over.

daryld123
01-30-2006, 11:49 AM
another 06 owner here. I run an hrc kit and a dmc slipon. never had a problem yet. But, having been a tech for many years I have to point out that electronics have a very low tolerance to heat. Maybe you are running too hot. Just a thought. The two that I have read that have this problem in this thread might also be faulty starters. It definatly sounds like a bendex problem and the gear wont enguage. Hope you get it figured out and have no more problems. Dont give up on the bike. It has a lot of potential.

Tripyn
01-30-2006, 01:51 PM
I am Remmy's buddy that has the exact same problem. Yes, if you stall it hot, almost impossible to get started. It will fire right up while being pulled, no problems. This happened from the day I brought it home from the dealer. Changed about everything I can think of to correct this (jetting, opened the airbox, full pipe) and it still happens.

I just got it from from having a cam installed and the tech that installed the cam for me was thinking the same thing. It sounds like some fo the newer 06's slipped out with faulty starters. My next step is going to be taking it back to the dealer. Hopefully I can duplicate it for them and it will get fixed once and for all. Guys, if anyone gets this fixed via a dealer/warranty pls let us know. I hate to go in and them and tell me it *can't be fixed* because they *can't duplicate it*

aroracer72
01-30-2006, 02:57 PM
AGAIN...i dont need to read an article because ive BUILT motors and done EVERYTHING possible, from no breaking in to mild, to extensive, and know what works best. I could write a worthy article myself, and im not a newcomer to engines and break in and how to deal with them. But thank you.
Chad

FreeStylerEx
01-30-2006, 04:23 PM
i got it back today and another mechanic there said it was the bandex thing. and they did tell honda about the promblem...im thing its some of the first 06s got the promblem?

o btw the hrc kit rips

QuadRacer041
01-30-2006, 05:24 PM
AGAIN...i dont need to read an article because ive BUILT motors and done EVERYTHING possible, from no breaking in to mild, to extensive, and know what works best. I could write a worthy article myself, and im not a newcomer to engines and break in and how to deal with them. But thank you.
Chad

since you have to build so many motors maybe your not doing something right.
id read it and maybe youd learn something.

daryld123
01-30-2006, 05:33 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

daryld123
01-30-2006, 05:35 PM
quadracer..........I dont think thats what chad ment. probably wasnt the same engine.

skaydogg
02-04-2006, 05:01 PM
HEY ,FreeStylerEx I JUST WONDERING IF THOSE ARC NERFS ARE FOR AN 05 OR 06, AND HOW DID THEY BOLT ON FOR YOU,OK OR DID YOU HAVE SOME PROBLEMS, DO YOU LIKE THEM? I AM INTERESTED IN GETTING A SET, BUT I AM WONDERING HOW THEY ARE GOING TO BOLT ON,I BOUGHT A FULL SKID PLATE AND THE GUY SAID IT WAS FOR A 04-06,THE OIL DRAIN OIL IS OFF,MINE RUNS GOOD TOO ,BUT WHEN I STALL MINE IT IS HARD STARTING TOO.PLEASE GET BACK TO ME ON THE NERFS! THANKS!!

Jonas
02-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by 4ABURN
Heat cycles are very Important to a new TIGHT motor. I started my 06 for the first time let it get warm,then turned it of let it cool down,then took it for a ride varied my rpms then let it cool down again did this about 5 times (all in one day) Its 3 days old now and I'm ON IT.thats what I have done to all my toys 2 and 4 strokes.

PS: My 06 has started perfect every time even when its been -10 outside:D I love my 06 electric start.

OH I do recommend taking that 42 pilot out and throwing it in the garbage.(way to lean)**** emissions!!!!!!

Anyway my @cents:)

What slow jet did you end up with?

Dave400ex
02-04-2006, 08:14 PM
FreeStylerEx did you get it back? Everything ok now? These are the only 2 problems I have heard with the starter.

FreeStylerEx
02-05-2006, 09:20 AM
yeah i got it back it flat out rips now..the acs were for the 04-05. mine bolted rite up. I gought them from jinxatv at a race last year. for like 190?

Dave400ex
02-05-2006, 09:41 AM
That's good to hear. What was their reasoning for the starter going bad, just a fluke, or a few got bad ones?

Sorry for all the questions, but I plan on getting one in less then 3 weeks, and these problems have me worried. I just want to make sure that buying it is the right thing to do. I don't want to have non-stop problems.