View Full Version : Jumping!!

Yfz450dan
01-23-2006, 12:28 PM
how do some of you guys get the will to jump like 50-80 foot jumps!I cealered a 35ft table top and that was kind of scary!
Are there any things that will help me jump father and higher,knowing i wont kill my self?:confused:

Camaroguy87132
01-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Yfz450dan

Are there any things that will help me jump father and higher,knowing i wont kill my self?:confused: well ill tell ya the best effect i have found so far... when you're just about to hit the jump, say apple pie and a little one eyed man pops out and pushes you 50 feet higher... just try it, it works

01-23-2006, 12:36 PM
damn I thot I was the only one that used that trick.

NacsMXer
01-23-2006, 12:50 PM
It's all about experience and practice.

The first time you cleared that 35 ft table, I bet you thought, "man, that was huge!". When you jump, for some reason you always feel like your a whole lot higher than you actually are.

Now if you hit that same 35ft table hundreds of times all day long, then by the end of the day you will be used to the feeling. Then, say, the next day you go out and try to clear a 50 footer. It's a bigger jump, but I bet you won't be as scared as if you were starting out hitting your first jump ever on a 50 footer. Kinda hard to explain, but you work your way up and the feeling comes with it basically.

I have the same problem because I'm in college now, and don't get to seriously MX ride until the summer. There's a 60 foot table that I've hit countless times at my fav MX track. Every time I hit that my first time back at the track, I never clear it the very first time. I just roll over it getting a little air until I feel it out and am ready to clear the whole thing. And that first time you clear it, you are a little surprised at the new feeling you haven't felt in a while. I can tell you that by the end of the day, that 60 foot table is cake, and I'm well onto trying harder 75-80ft + jumps.

Basically, once you constantly start jumping and get the feeling for it, you will be more comfortable to move onto bigger jumps. If you don't practice for a while like me cuz I have to go away to school, then you'll get rusty and sort of lose that "big air" feeling.

01-23-2006, 01:04 PM
I was to chicken to hit any jumps... lol.

Till a friend offered to drive and have me follow him, so I knew how fast to hit it.

works great, just make shure that your friend isnt like 50 lbs lighter than u... can result badly.

Ripitupfilms
01-23-2006, 01:06 PM
what you do is just go ballz to the wall visualize yourself landing and just dont puss out just do and dont think about crashing or youll never get good

underpowered
01-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by atvracer9m
what you do is just go ballz to the wall visualize yourself landing and just dont puss out just do and dont think about crashing or youll never get good

No, Never jump outside of what you are comfortable jumping, that is what gets people hurt. Tables are teh best to learn on becasue if you come up short it does not hurt nearly as much as casing a big double. like nacs said, start small, then hut it countless times untill you are truely comfortable on it, then go a little bigger. dont go from like a 35 ft to a 60 instantly. Practie makes perfect. alittle over a year ago the biggest jump i had ever hit was a like 15ft, but now i can do 50-70 doubles without hardly thining about it. i wan to go bigger just dont have the equipment right now to do so. 1 year ago i would never of thought i could ride an MX track decentlym but i practiced alot and kept at it even when i did crash.

ballz2thewall
01-23-2006, 01:25 PM
the first thing you should do is get a honda! J/K, just do it and worry about what happens at the end of the landing!

underpowered
01-23-2006, 01:29 PM
The "Big" jump about a year ago

underpowered
01-23-2006, 01:31 PM
what i do now, pic is of a 60' table at Earlywines

300extreme#8
01-23-2006, 01:38 PM
it all just takes time. when u know ur limits you learn how to judge stuff, but once u jump 1 u'll jump them all, it's teh difference between the pros and the other racers, it's all about confidence and experiance.... pros r confident that they can hammer down and keep it pinned, while others just think i can do this i can try this, it's a point of view and other stuff. like how some poeple look at stuff and say holycrap, and some one out of no where jumps it. and ur like how teh heck, once u been there and done it once or twice it's very simple afterthat so just go out and ride and have fun jumpin and the bigger stuff will work it's way in sooner or later, just dont rush somethign ur not ready for

Quad Boy 660r
01-23-2006, 07:25 PM
Hey, how do you like Earlywine. We may try going there sometime, but it is pretty far away.

Just want to know if it is worth the drive.

Sorry to interupt.

Honda TRX250ex
01-23-2006, 08:00 PM
well i have these to help...

and when you start to hit jumps you want to go bigger and you start to get use to it

NOTE (not actual size :devil: )

aroracer72
01-23-2006, 08:04 PM
Eitehr work your way up step by step, or if your a little nuttier(like me..a few screws loose)...hit the biggest jump around, and keep hitting it, then everything else feels small and easy!!!!...thats waht i did.

Few eyars ago, second day at this track i jsut went and followed someone and did the big 90ft tripple, and i jsut loved it, so i turned around and kept hitting it. But basically once you get good at hitting a decent sized jump(like yours...) the bigger you go jsut matters on confidence and dont think too much about it, jsut be smart and follow someone that way you know youll maek it if you keep up!!!
CHAD

Cdaleracer
01-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Quad Boy 660r
Hey, how do you like Earlywine. We may try going there sometime, but it is pretty far away.

Just want to know if it is worth the drive.

Sorry to interupt.

Earlywine's is the best!!!!

How far of a drive is it for you? There are a bunch of dedicated racers from WI that drive to race there every other weekend, and they have a 11 hour drive.

There is a quad race this weekend. Practice Friday night and racing both Saturday and Sunday. You should make plans to come out and race.

redlineranger
01-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Honda TRX250ex

and when you start to hit jumps you want to go bigger and you start to get use to it

:rolleyes:

xx3003xrdrxx
01-24-2006, 07:50 PM
start trying doubles , they will get your confidence up quicker than tables . if you case a 30 foot table your not goint to get hurt that bad , dont be stiff legged and uptight when your jumping.

01-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by xx3003xrdrxx
start trying doubles , they will get your confidence up quicker than tables . if you case a 30 foot table your not goint to get hurt that bad , dont be stiff legged and uptight when your jumping.

true, I have cased a 20 ft or so, double, I dident event fall off..

reconmaster
01-24-2006, 07:55 PM
what i considered big in 2004
http://www.funtigo.com/img/i11001423_26836.jpg
http://www.funtigo.com/img/i11001612_53489.jpg

big at the beginning of 05
http://pic.piczo.com/img/i50494656_40321.jpg

big a month later
http://pic.piczo.com/img/i64772747_35576.jpg
http://pic.piczo.com/img/i65623652_50708.jpg

justa tad bigger than the last table top but hitting doubles is different
http://pic.piczo.com/img/i121561819_18833.jpg

i can almost clear a 65/70 forget what they are tabletops at one track(plan to defintly clear them this year) what it is is just confidence and how many times you hit the jump or the distance hitting the that last doubel the 1st couple times was scary cause the just barely cleared it underestimating the size of it 2nd time left side landed on a hay bale 3rd time almost landed on a guy after that i was doin fine even overshot it big time. since you said 30feet feels big give it a week or two of non stop hitting it and you will say lets up to 35 which will turn into 40 etc just keep workin on it. it does alot of balls, practise, and confiendence

aroracer72
01-25-2006, 07:37 AM
I cased a 70ft super double once, and my suggestion is.....dont case any jump. Its better to overdue the jump then under do it. Cause casing that double messed me up pretty good.
CHAD

jwick07
01-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Man casing a 20 footer can hurt

blakefoote
01-27-2006, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Yfz450dan
how do some of you guys get the will to jump like 50-80 foot jumps!I cealered a 35ft table top and that was kind of scary!
Are there any things that will help me jump father and higher,knowing i wont kill my self?:confused:

it will all come to you...you just got to know what you are capable of.....:ermm:

moto04racing
01-27-2006, 07:32 AM
the first time i jumped a 15ft kinked table i was scared, but it felt good, i kinda wanna try that apple pie thing, lol

Punk'd
01-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Honda TRX250ex

LOL nice..

aroracer72
01-27-2006, 09:50 PM
Just no matter what jump in any condition, your shins/knee should be perpindicular with the ground. This is the easist guideline to follow and improves your control in the air.
Chad

Something like this, this is jsut a fun double i hit, not the biggest, but exhibits an idea of what your looking to do.

aroracer72
01-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Better picture, because the first one wasnt as good of an example as i thought, cause i think i was just about to slam the rear brakes and bring the front end down.

So heres a better one.
CHAD

aroracer72
01-27-2006, 09:55 PM
Not as good an example either, but you get the idea. Always have your knees bent almost 100% of the time until you reach th point in the air were you know youll be okay, or if your gonna style it out for your friends. But just remeber stay loose, keep knees bent, and hit it fast enough ..LOL.
Then eventually you can start moving the quad around and having some fun. :)
CHAD

XCRACER26
01-27-2006, 10:51 PM
For me the best way to hit big jumps is race and If you get the holeshot. when I get the holeshot I'm just pupmed and I try every thing that I normally wouldnt. but now I try just about every jump I see some one else hit.