PDA

View Full Version : starting problems on a 03' 400ex

SARPUP
01-23-2006, 10:30 AM
I hadnt ridden my 400 in awhile. And when starting it up the other day I killed the battery trying to start it up. I checked everything I thought, bought a new battery just incase, and it still wouldnt catch. It sounds fine turning over just not sparking enough to start. I know these things dont like colder weather, but should it be that bad? I also took the spark plug wire off and tried to start it up just to see if i would hear a difference, and there was difference in the sound. How often should a plug be replaced? is it possible thats all this is? Im used to my blaster being difficult with fouled plugs but a four stroke? Also its a pain in the arse to get to the plug on the 400. Do i need to remove anything to get in there better? Lastly, when I did put the plug wire back on the plug it was a little loose on there am I maybe not getting it to sit on there very well? It was hard to pull it off. any help is appreciated.

400EXtreme
01-23-2006, 10:32 AM
do you still have the tools that the quad came with cuz it has a spark plug wrench that fits it. That could be the problem but if u havnt rode it in a while nd its cold it can be a painto start

kingair
01-23-2006, 11:24 AM
I have the same Quad and usually when it sits for a period of time...i have had the same trouble. I started to drain the carb if I knew that I would'nt be riding for over 2-3 weeks. Ever since It starts right up.. I was told this prevents the gas gas from gumming up the jets. Try that!

400exstud
01-23-2006, 12:28 PM
The 400ex is a four stroke that goes through a considerable amount of plugs. If I don't ride it for 2-3 weeks it won't start without a new plug. Same story for my friend with one.

Changing the plug will get much easier as you will be doing it often.:p

user101
01-23-2006, 08:04 PM
i've never had that kind of problem out of mine...it was set up for a month at a time before and it started right up.

you might want to check all your electrical connections espically the kill switch

Brehmmotorsport
01-23-2006, 11:44 PM
there is several other threads about this and i answer them all the same. 400's are cold blooded get them going is tuff but can't beat them when they get going. I and several freinds have owned several 400's some with motor work some not. some with stock exhaust and some the very expensive race exhaust. They all suck starting them up. My advise is to carry a set of jumper cables when it gets cold. This is when most of the starting problem comes. It isn't even a long sitting problem either. Nor is it a jetting problem. It is a 400 problem. My advise is do your best not to flood it.

Honda#4
01-24-2006, 11:24 AM
on cold days i start mine every 2 days .

01-24-2006, 06:35 PM
fix your jetting...i had a problem like that, i wouldnt start it for about 3 days and the plug fouls when i try to....but i adjusted my jetting and its fine now

m1ke
01-24-2006, 11:56 PM
I tell you what you do. Instead of burning up the starter, you replace it with a fresh plug, loosen off the bolt on the bottom of the carburator, make sure fuel comes out, if gas is old, replace with 92-94 octane fuel, hook it up to a tractor/pickup truck, get it rolling, pull in the clutch, make sure the kill switch is dis-engaged; fuel is on( I never liked how it was a switch, I always had the push button oh my YZ) let out the clutch in a high gear, and it should fire up.

What I like to do if she's been sitting is spray some CARB MEDIC (VERY VERY VERY strong chemical) in the air intake, let it do its thing, and if you do get it running get it revved up and spray a couple good shots in there to clean it out. (It will eat guck off the jets/needle/bowl.

NOTE: REMOVE THE SPARK PLUG AND READ THE COLOR/CONDITION. IF YOU TURN IT OVER AND OVER AND YOU REMOVE IT AND IT'S WET, IT'S FLOODED AND EITHER THE SPARK IS WEAK / OTHER OR THE SPARK PLUG'S GONE SOUTH. IF IT'S DRY IT'S NOT GETN' ANY FUEL.