PDA

View Full Version : 450r carb on a 400ex

SHARPMACHINE
01-23-2006, 06:31 AM
Is this worth while to a mostly stock 400?? Could some people please post that have ran one for a while about the jetting etc....

thanks

01-23-2006, 07:18 AM
well the 400ex carb is pritty good stock. so a 450r carb wont probly do any good on a stock motor.

PismoLocal
01-23-2006, 01:34 PM
From what i read on this site there is a small performance gain when you put a 450r carb on a stock 400. I would guess like 1hp or something. I have seem the dyno sheet for a 450r carb on a 440 and it had a 4 hp gain over stock carb jetted. more air = more power so i really dont see how you could go wrong getting one ecspecially if your goin to bore to a larger engine size.

Rico
01-23-2006, 02:02 PM
anyone have a 450R carb for me to borrow?????

hauck400ex
01-23-2006, 03:15 PM
450r carb is a pretty big jump up... its 4mm bigger than the 05 (stock is 38mm and 450r is 42mm)... i got one if anyone is interested for $150 shipped... straight from honda in the original package...

Rico
01-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by hauck400ex
450r carb is a pretty big jump up... its 4mm bigger than the 05 (stock is 38mm and 450r is 42mm)... i got one if anyone is interested for $150 shipped... straight from honda in the original package...

Can I borrow it to see if it will work with my clarke 300 gallon gas tank??? I"m good on my word I won't steal it or anything..:cool:

yokeracer
01-23-2006, 08:25 PM
I would suggest to anyone interested, get the carb. I just put one on my 400 yesterday. Love it. You will notice a power increase:D . The only thing that I have is a filter a Jetted. The thing moves.

Check out this thread:
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=205478

Get that carb.

crewworrior
01-23-2006, 08:54 PM
rico if you want performance you might try a 3.0 gallon tank instead of a 300 gallon tank. do you sit on top.ha ha ha

hauck400ex
01-24-2006, 07:00 AM
if it was a used one laying around i would let ya borrow it, but i bought it and havent opened it yet and thats why its worth more than the ones on ebay... its brand new... i paid $170 for it and am trying to get $150 out of it... im wanting the 450r front shocks first....

UglyMotha™
01-24-2006, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Rico
anyone have a 450R carb for me to borrow?????

you seriously wanna borrow one, i'll send you mine buddy :o you can use if for a month or so, i dunno bout your 416 but i can tell you on my 452 when i went from the bored stocker to the R carb it was a night and day differance

yokeracer
01-24-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
you seriously wanna borrow one, i'll send you mine buddy :o you can use if for a month or so, i dunno bout your 416 but i can tell you on my 452 when i went from the bored stocker to the R carb it was a night and day differance

hey uglymutha,
I just left Refalova's house, He's got some bling bling now:D for the Rappy

I still gotta do somethin with my airbox.

Rico
01-25-2006, 04:41 AM

Heck yeah

I"ll PM you my address and can paypal you some shipping money if you want....:cool:

no need to send me a return shipping address...:eek:

UglyMotha™
01-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by yokeracer
hey uglymutha,
I just left Refalova's house, He's got some bling bling now:D for the Rappy

I still gotta do somethin with my airbox.

he get some honda emblems for his rappy

put a GT Thunder velocity stack in your airbox lid

UglyMotha™
01-25-2006, 03:28 PM

no need to send me a return shipping address...:eek:

dammit ugly's always gettin the shaft :mad:

yokeracer
01-25-2006, 04:31 PM
he get some honda emblems for his rappy

put a GT Thunder velocity stack in your airbox lid

inside the airbox?

here's my lil velocity stack.:D just a temp fix

got a pic of the velocity stack in the airbox?:confused:

UglyMotha™
01-25-2006, 04:53 PM
wow guy, you kinda got a bit of a hack job goin on there, why didn't you hit me up on the how too's

you can use your stock airbox, you just have to make a plate that will bolt to the subframe where the airbox use to mount to move the airbox up one inch and you can still use the stock airboot you just have to heat it up a little and it will stretch right over the mouth of the carb then gettcha a big hose clamp form the parts store to hold it in place also you need to take the vent line off the top and plug it with some jbweld and drill the one comming out of the side cause it will get kinked on top like that

yokeracer
01-25-2006, 05:09 PM
wow guy, you kinda got a bit of a hack job goin on there, why didn't you hit me up on the how too's

you can use your stock airbox, you just have to make a plate that will bolt to the subframe where the airbox use to mount to move the airbox up one inch and you can still use the stock airboot you just have to heat it up a little and it will stretch right over the mouth of the carb then gettcha a big hose clamp form the parts store to hold it in place also you need to take the vent line off the top and plug it with some jbweld and drill the one comming out of the side cause it will get kinked on top like that

Looking at the front of the bike, the vent tube on the right? I didn't know you could do that. So that's why that other nipple is on the side of the carb under that vent at top. Yeah I know I have to move the airbox up some, I just came up with that for the time being. I will probably cut the mounts off and weld them back in place. Just tryin some ideas before I wip out the welder:D

Thinking about getting aftermarket airbox.

what did you do about the choke? I just had to remove the lever because it rubbed a hole in fuel line. Is yours still on?

UglyMotha™
01-25-2006, 05:16 PM
its the vent line with the nipple comming out of the top if your setting on the quad, as far as my choke i over shot a big double a week after getting the carb and shattered my teeth including that choke lever so i just ripped it the rest of the way off, i dont use it anyways, can be 12 below and 10 pumps and she fires

aftermarket airboxs blow specially if you jump they tend to always crack i would stick with the stocker personally i used to run a aftermarket but went back to the stocker

yokeracer
01-25-2006, 05:29 PM
I'll just be doin trails, lil jumpin maybe after shocks and arms.
Have you ever ridin with Refa and Conley at the dump?

If so, we're goin Sat.

UglyMotha™
01-25-2006, 05:33 PM
is it muddy out there

yokeracer
01-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Don't know, hope it isn't. But the ground isn't frozen either:confused: :huh

UglyMotha™
01-25-2006, 05:39 PM
all i got right now is the ktm and riding that in the mud is like trying to ride on ice

yokeracer
01-25-2006, 05:41 PM
all i got right now is the ktm and riding that in the mud is like trying to ride on ice

what happened to quad?

UglyMotha™
01-25-2006, 05:49 PM
what happened to quad?

it needs all new rubber, brakes all the way round, a swingarm skid, steering stem, bars, bumper, and a dampner but i've devoted the next couple months to the truck before i drop a dime on the quad

Chino886
01-25-2006, 05:54 PM
Can I borrow it to see if it will work with my clarke 300 gallon gas tank??? I"m good on my word I won't steal it or anything..:cool:

Hey Rico....

I got a 42mm Mikuni BSR carb off of a predator that I would let you borrow.....

I am sure you could figure out someway to make it work.

I bought it to make it work on the 400, but bought a FCR....

Chino886

Live2Ride300
01-27-2006, 11:56 AM
What do you guys do with the TPS? Just not connect it?

C&SRACIN426EX
01-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by hauck400ex
if it was a used one laying around i would let ya borrow it, but i bought it and havent opened it yet and thats why its worth more than the ones on ebay... its brand new... i paid $170 for it and am trying to get $150 out of it... im wanting the 450r front shocks first....

Is that carb off the 450 a flat slide carb? I think it is, not sure though. Im really interested if it is. Can u post some pics?

Live2Ride300
01-27-2006, 02:15 PM
The 450R carb is a round slide.

F-16Guy
01-27-2006, 03:08 PM
There's a guy on this site that makes an adapter for the 450R carb. It fits in between the intake manifold and the carb. It moves the carb back so you don't need to modify the airbox mounts, and I think it moves it down a hair, so there is a little more clearance on top. I can try to figure out who it is if anyone's interested. This was a little while back, so I'm not 100% sure if he can still make them, but I can check.

yokeracer
01-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Well guys, it was running great last night when I parked it. Went to start it after work today, it wouldn't, then it popped (backfired) really loud. Drained battery during ordeal. I thought that I may have flooded it. Then my buddy asked me if I checked my plug. Nope... what do you all think?

...suppose to go ridin in the morning:huh

Rico
01-28-2006, 04:29 AM
inside the airbox?

here's my lil velocity stack.:D just a temp fix

got a pic of the velocity stack in the airbox?:confused:

That's some kinda setup you got going there hoss....:eek2:

Here's a pic of a velocity stack, i've had one for a few years and like it.

Thanks for the carb Ugly. I'll let ya know what I find out and if it will work.

yokeracer
01-28-2006, 05:27 AM
I just put my airbox back on, moved it up an inch:D
Now I'm just tryin to get the damn thing started.:huh Plug may be fouled. About to go check now.

UglyMotha™
01-28-2006, 04:36 PM
what jetting are you running there yoke, put a new plug in it she'll probably fire right up

yokeracer
01-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Yeah, I bought two of them at the parts store. Put it in, started up with no problem. Stock plug was fouled out. I'm cool now. Me and Conley660r went ridin at the Dump and the Rezz today. got pix up at OMR Dump/Elson st. thread Check em out. Refa's got his Elkas on now. Lookin good:D

Gettin me some pretty soon, along with arms.:D That bike kicked my *** today (sore). Feels like a brick:ermm:

TheChknhwk
01-30-2006, 08:21 AM
How's this coming along for ya there rico?