PDA

View Full Version : What's the best single A-arms?

Logan #34's Dad
01-22-2006, 10:57 PM
I am in the market for A-Arms for my son's DRR. (Polaris type spindles) He races MX only. Will everyone give me their opinions on what is junk and what is good. I would like plus 3's with regular size shock. (my Works shock is almost 11 inches though) Thanks

Pappy
01-23-2006, 08:21 AM
IMO Hetrick /ATV Fourplay single arms are one ofthe best on the market and i was informed tonight that RobbsRacing makes them also (i did not know that) Fit is perfect, and they worked on creating a better angle for taking care of the bad camber found with the single arms in general.

www.hetrickracing.com
www.robbsracingengines.com

wvspeedfreak
01-23-2006, 06:31 PM
I did alot of research before I selected which a-arms to go with on our mini and Hetrick's are what we decided on.

Kool Kidz
01-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Granite Gear Racing a-arms. +3+1 4130 chromoly. Very strong and correct geometry.

Arctic Cat Dad
01-23-2006, 07:06 PM
Every aftermarket part on my son's race quad came from Hetrick Racing. There parts and service are awesome. Michelle Hetrick just called us last week. They wanted to know what we needed for the 06 season. They gave us a set of 3" extended a-arms. They should really make the quad more stable. Now little man can keep it pinned going into the turns.:devil:

Give Hetrick Racing a call.;)

Lugnuts
01-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Kool Kidz,

What do you see as the correct geometry? Would you not want an A Arm that you could adjust?

Thanks
Greg

Kool Kidz
01-24-2006, 07:25 PM
Greg,

Adjustable a-arms are great if their made right, like Robb's are. There are not many out that are made right. There are alot of a-arms made that are weak, not made with a quality material and do not offer the correct geometry, wheels pitched in or out, irregular arc, shocks bind and are usless. Theres more to a set of a-arms than just welding. Does that answer your question or was I just babling?

Pappy
01-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Kool Kidz
Greg,

Adjustable a-arms are great if their made right, like Robb's are. There are not many out that are made right. There are alot of a-arms made that are weak, not made with a quality material and do not offer the correct geometry, wheels pitched in or out, irregular arc, shocks bind and are usless. Theres more to a set of a-arms than just welding. Does that answer your question or was I just babling?

whats you opinion on using the conversion brackets and 300ex front end parts:p

Lugnuts
01-25-2006, 04:18 AM
Kool kidz,

I was asking what the correct geometry was. As in caster and camber. and we are talking single A Arms. I had a set of robb's on our TT quad nice parts but the tie rods would rub on the shock bracket and one spindle tube had to be welded back on. But the quad sat nice and worked well.

Thanks
Greg

ROBBSRACING
01-25-2006, 05:26 AM
Hey Lugnuts are you sure you had a set of my A-arms ? you said you had to weld one spindle tube back on. I dont use a spindle tube on any of my a-arms except for the LEMs.

Lugnuts
01-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Robbsracing

I bought a used predator 90 and was told they were robb's racing A Arms and Swing Arm. If not yours I am sorry for the above comment.

Thanks
Greg

howmuchnow
01-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Its a toss up between Robs and K-FAB neather are cheap but you do get what you pay for.

ROBBSRACING
01-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Greg,
Those are not Robbs Racing A-Arms those are Hetricks. The swing-arm is quite possibly one of mine though. I did build a couple of them for a Polaris a long time ago for one of my sponsored riders Zac Pearson.

Kool Kidz
01-25-2006, 08:11 PM
Pappy, Our dual a-arm kit coming out will be utilizing 400 ex components. Much better than designing something around stock mini parts, but does elevate cost.

Lugnuts, Correct geometry on a stock a-arm is fixed to get the best in all areas. Adjustable a-arms are set and stay set where you set them, caster in or out. If you have the right shock set up with the a-arms, you don't really need any adjustments. Maybe for circle track you might.

Does that make sense.

Lugnuts
01-25-2006, 08:14 PM
Robbsracing

Thanks for the info on the A Arms. What are your thoughts on caster/camber setting for mx,TT and flat track for a single A Arm quad? Did you see the ones I am building for the predator's?

Thanks
Greg

ROBBSRACING
01-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Lugnuts,
I personally like having the ability to tweak camber and caster settings based on track conditions. I raced TT Nationals and did some flattracking for many years back in the day. I understand the importance of having those adjustments. In my opinion the adjustability is much more crucial for TT and flattrack than for motocross. Im not saying that i dont adjust them for MX too, but the changes have a less noticeable effect in MX. If you look at the A-Arms I build rite now, they are all camber adjustable, and most are both camber and caster adjustable both singles and duals, except for the LEMs and those are coming. So i guess that shows MY preference. That being said however, i have found that the MAJORITY of people will never change either setting once they are on the quad. Especially MX guys. I tell people the intial settings that i have found to work the best for most applications. Most people will set it there and leave it. There are also ALOT of people that do not have the ability to PROPERLY set up a front end and one that is not set up rite is useless. Yes i have seen pics of the ones you are making and i think your on the rite track. Im not sure that they would withstand the abuse of a BIG jumper on an MX track, but i bet they work sweet on a TT bike.

camsdad
01-26-2006, 08:31 PM
we tried several different single a-arm configurations and a couple different dual configurations on our mini..in conclusion robb's a-arms were hands down the best out there..my rider is a national front runner and uses every bit of bike he has...he would tell me every time i want my other a-arms back on my quad..i have had 3 sets and never had a durability issue....just my 2cents worth but the truth is in the results..gnc#70 production..

Lugnuts
01-28-2006, 05:58 AM
Robbsracing,

Thank you for the feedback. I agree that most people will not do any adjustments. These seem to be the same poeple that do not understand way some Quad's handle so much better then others.

Kool Kidz

I was looking for numbers. How much camber and caster in deg.?

Thanks
Greg