PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Duner, need help!

coryatver
07-09-2002, 06:46 PM
I plan on going to silver lake at the end of the month. I have a mostly stock 400ex and my riding buddy has a raptor with a yoshi pipe. I live in PA so i do not know anything about riding on sand. What kind of setup should I run? I have almost worn out front stock tires and half worn razr's on the back. Should I get new front tires before I go? I am waiting for the razor 2 tires to come out. I don't really want to buy sand tires for one ride. Around here the 400 and the raptor run equal but from what I hear I will get killed on sand. Eating sand roost all day does not sound that fun, is there anything that could help me out? Does anyone have some tips on riding on the dunes or where we should camp?

New-400ex_guy
07-10-2002, 12:53 AM
well some good tips are be careful. always ride nice and easy and check out the terrain before going ballz out. there are many drifts and the sand changes all the time. also watch out for the many idiots and showoffs, drunks, etc.

paddle tires will help out lots. you will climb much easier with them. actually your front tires are perfect, they will not hold much resistence to the sand and float on top like you want. you want to air them down too around 2 to 3 pounds in the back and about 4 in the front.

also a 14th front sprocket makes a nice differece in the sand.

airheadedduner
07-11-2002, 11:05 PM
Your stock tires will be the best besides paddles. radial tires work much better then standered nobs.

QuadJunkies
07-11-2002, 11:55 PM
You ahould be fine with your front tires as new400ex guy says,and paddles would be nice, but you can ge taround with stock, just dont plan on clinbing any real steep hills,our stock ran better than the V paddles did..