PDA

View Full Version : Jumping Techniques

KoolKwad400
01-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Hey everyone....did a search on this but didn't have much luck.

I'm not tremendously experienced at riding quads. I have ridden them before, but this year I decided to buy a Z-400. I really like the bike and I was able to ride it pretty well pretty quickly. I used to have a 300EX years ago, but never really tried to jump it. Used it mostly in the mud, and only had it a few months.

My one shortcoming is jumping.
I've tried to jump the bike a few times, but just can't get the hang of it. I can wheelie, roost, ride mud, and climb hills, but the jumping is just not working for me.
I always seem to nosedive too hard, and when I land my feet bounce up in the air off the footpegs. I fell off once (no injuries or bike damage).

It's starting to p$ss me off. I can jump a snowmobile like you read about, but I've ridden sleds for years. Jumping a quad seems totally different.

Do you have any suggestions for how I can improve this?? I see guys getting air that I can only dream about, and would like to be able to at least do some small jumps (nothing too fancy). I know I'm doing something wrong, but not too sure what it is....

Any help would be appreciated.

Jerry

miller821
01-22-2006, 06:37 PM
How do you jump? When i'm hitting the jump right before it i let off the throttle then get back on it. Also i nose dive sometimes so you just have to pull up, cause some jumps are just crappy.

4punksdad
01-22-2006, 06:40 PM
power on for the landing................as illustrated here by my 6year old.

01-22-2006, 06:43 PM
Stay centered over the quad. If your nose is too high pull in the clutch and tap the back brake, if the nose is too low hit the gas.

yamablaster24
01-22-2006, 06:44 PM
like this
http://media.putfile.com/2-second-video-of-me-on-450r

lol but no really, it all depends on the jump. If you are nose diving on the jump then you need to not go as fast up to the jump and at the end just hold it wide open and panic rev if you are nose diving. If you are landing on your rear end ( most common with tables) you need to get a lot of speed before the jump, hold it there until the face and let off.

KoolKwad400
01-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by ride hard man
How do you jump? When i'm hitting the jump right before it i let off the throttle then get back on it. Also i nose dive sometimes so you just have to pull up, cause some jumps are just crappy.

I think the problem is that I am letting off TOO early before I get to the top of the jump. I also think I'm not pulling back enough, but I was wondering if I could get some tips from you guys that do more of it.

BTW- 4punksdad.....my five year old on his Z-50 can jump better than me. Doesn't surprise me that your 6 year old can, too.:(

Jerry

BlasterEaten250
01-22-2006, 06:46 PM
I go off the jump like i am definiatly going to nosedive, because it is way easier to put the front down than to pull it up. So i go off the jump leaning back and on the throttle. if the front is to high i let of the throttle a little bit. if it is WAY to high i let off the throttle and hit the back brakes. If the front is to low, lean back, pin the throttle and hope for the best:)

miller821
01-22-2006, 06:48 PM
On one of my jumps i have to pull back everytime before i hit it or i will nose dive. Just practice on smaller jumps till you get the hang of it.

KoolKwad400
01-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by yamablaster24
like this
http://media.putfile.com/2-second-video-of-me-on-450r

lol but no really, it all depends on the jump. If you are nose diving on the jump then you need to not go as fast up to the jump and at the end just hold it wide open and panic rev if you are nose diving. If you are landing on your rear end ( most common with tables) you need to get a lot of speed before the jump, hold it there until the face and let off.

Cool vid, I definately have some work to do before I get to that point, though....

Thanks for the input.

I know with a sled if you are nose high you tap the brake, nose low mash the throttle. Sound like it's similar in that respect.

Jerry

Jakeyracer
01-22-2006, 07:11 PM
i had the same problem
go at the jump like 3/4 throttle then when u are like 1/2way up the jump give all you can trust me i learned the hard way:( ;)

Ripitupfilms
01-22-2006, 07:15 PM
you guys are doing it all wrong if you let go of the gas before you go off .. stay centered kinda stand up but stay low . keep a steady throttle dont let up at all keep momentum if you nose dive with these instrection then you probally doing something wrong or you jump has a weird lip on it

BlasterEaten250
01-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by atvracer9m
you guys are doing it all wrong if you let go of the gas before you go off .. stay centered kinda stand up but stay low . keep a steady throttle dont let up at all keep momentum if you nose dive with these instrection then you probally doing something wrong or you jump has a weird lip on it Was your axle bent?:confused: It kind of looks like it

Honda TRX250ex
01-22-2006, 07:23 PM
when i hit jumps it just comes natural. gas it and right before the jump let off the gas than get right back on it. and do what MXFourTwoEight said. and just hold on for the ride

TCracin440ex
01-22-2006, 07:28 PM
well sounds like your problem is your not preloading...

and if your going to jump if it is a big or small...you should invest in a good set of nerf bars...

and when you get to the lip of the jump man you are gonna want to goose the throttle to give you that extra umph to get over the gap...

and remember its better to overshoot it instead of case it....

Ripitupfilms
01-22-2006, 07:37 PM
nope i never borke that axle or ever bent it .. and its a durapoo

but supposidly the old ones are different and thats what it is

250xridamatt
01-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
well sounds like your problem is your not preloading...

and if your going to jump if it is a big or small...you should invest in a good set of nerf bars...

I dont think preloading is his problem. Its probably not being smooth on the throttle. Whatever you do, dont let off the throttle right when you are about to take off, that will send your nose right towards the ground. Also land while on the gas, and it will be smoother. I would suggest practicing on tabletops, as they have a lot less risk involved than a double and are easier to learn on.

If you are doing all of this and you still nose dive it might just be the lip of the jump.

I also strongly reccomend nerfbars. They have saved my feet/legs many many times.

rollie
01-22-2006, 08:10 PM
just start hitting little jumps....then as you get better step it up to bigger one's, dont rush yourself or you'll get hurt

jumping awsome:cool:

Mxjunkie
01-22-2006, 08:11 PM
The worst thing you can do is let off the throttle in my opinion, it makes the quad nose dive. If you watch the fmx guys they roll up to the kicker creaping then once they get to the kicker they pin it.

Mx riders the same way but they have momentom from racing so once they come to the jump they do not let off.

Also rider postion is the key, if your nose diving, pull back and give it gas.

If your in a wheelie in the air, pull ur self forward and tap your rear brakes in the air.

Just pratice on little stuff work your way up. try throwing your quad around a little in the air to get the hang of it so incase need be you need to save it, you know how.

Ridin' Jesse
01-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Well idk about the throttle..it depends on the jump...some jumps u run up like braap n let off before the bottom of the jump n then give er hell, and some your just full out pinned flying off the jump...after a while jumping youll get used to it...just roll the jump a few times and get a feel for the lip first so you know. Some tips are if your gonna flat land land on ur back tires...its alot less stressful on you...also to practice english in the air, just try whipping, pulling, n pushin the quad around in the air. You can't change your jumping on the site...you gotta go get some seat time is the only way.

Also i learned that if you think your going faster enough to clear it...go a little bit faster..rather overshoot usually than case it.

optikid123
01-22-2006, 09:46 PM
every jumps different so once you feel the lip a few times by just going fast enough so you leave the ground a little you can feel how it will react once you launch it then you can work on clearing it, cause the lip will be the same just need more speed and at that point alls you gotta do is nut up and make sure you dont get nervous and let off at the last second or else youll be hurting

4punksdad
01-23-2006, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by KoolKwad400
I think the problem is that I am letting off TOO early before I get to the top of the jump. I also think I'm not pulling back enough, but I was wondering if I could get some tips from you guys that do more of it.

BTW- 4punksdad.....my five year old on his Z-50 can jump better than me. Doesn't surprise me that your 6 year old can, too.:(

Jerry

Jerry, just keep jumping. It will come to ya. Don't be afraid to ask other guys what gear they are hitting the jumps. That can be a huge help. The right speed and the right gear can make all of the difference in the world. Start off conservative until you build the confidence you need to nail the jumps.

Ruby Soho
01-23-2006, 06:34 AM
when your in the air, tap the throttle, to keep the tires moving

it should keep you straightened out

KoolKwad400
01-23-2006, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by 250xridamatt
I dont think preloading is his problem. Its probably not being smooth on the throttle. Whatever you do, dont let off the throttle right when you are about to take off, that will send your nose right towards the ground. Also land while on the gas, and it will be smoother. I would suggest practicing on tabletops, as they have a lot less risk involved than a double and are easier to learn on.

If you are doing all of this and you still nose dive it might just be the lip of the jump.

I also strongly reccomend nerfbars. They have saved my feet/legs many many times.

Thanks for all the info....
I did buy nerfs because my bad jump turned into a "rolled over leg". No big hurt, just a little one. I was pretty lucky.

Here's the bike now:

trick450r
01-23-2006, 08:45 AM
on smaller jumps (under 30 feet) i just hit it and make slight udjustments with the brake and gas and just body movement.

On medium jumps (30-60 feet) i usually hit it fast enough to the point where the quad jumps pretty straight so adjustment usually isn't necassary

on the bigger jumps (60-90 feet) i always inspect the jump first, then i hit it floored, or however fast i think it needs depending on the lip. If you mess up a jump this large you can adjust due to the amount of air time, but if you mess up really bad start praying!

ALWAYS CHECK OU THE LIP FIRST!

416exfreak
01-24-2006, 04:30 PM
i always check the jump out first, and if i dont want to do it, then i dont. But, i have a 400ex(mods in sig) and i like to roll up to the base about 25 feet back though, and then just pin it and hang on, i usually lean back about 3/4 of the way on my seat, and adjust in the air. but like every 1 else said take it slow and dont hurt urself tryin to show off, like i did(broke wrist and ankle)
other thatn that.....have fun!;)

aroracer72
01-24-2006, 07:47 PM
1) keep your body loose and make shure you have a firm grip on your bars

2) come at the jump with the full speed you need, let off a few feet before the lip, then as your front tires git the bottom of the transition get back on the gas and move in a C arc starting moving yourself backwards on the seat athen rising up till your almsot standing. The main key is too keep your shins/knee perpindicular to the ground, no matter the angle of your quad.

3) Once in the air let off the gas, then if your looking good then right before you land get back on the gas fairly hard(this will help with bad landing or square edge landing edges.

4) Be relaxed!!!!..already said that, but this is were most people mess up. If you get funny off the lip, having your body relaxed allows you to stay in the right position but then pull your quad back up to you into the right position. If you stiffen up youll move with your quad and it will be not pretty from there on out.

Hope this helps yah!!!!
CHAD

400exrules
01-24-2006, 07:59 PM
this is the biggest jump ive hit that i know of.....im not really scared of jumping big, well yah, im kinda scared of jumpin doubles and stuff but i've never really felt the urge to want to go jump something, i usually just ride trails. But on this trail, when you exit it to a big field, theirs a jump at the end of it, and i started hittin it, and it was fun as sh^t. felt like i was high as crap but i wasnt lol. i gotta start jumpin more, im startin to like it.

korniev
07-14-2006, 02:43 AM
aroracer72 is right. Also I would add it is a good idea to pull the clutch while in the air so the bike does not ge the influence for its rear spinnig wheels and axle. Let it go before landing though and hit the throttle. Also make sure you stay confident in the air (do not lose it if something goes wrong). Hit the brake to lower the front and throttle to put it up. It works, you just need to practice!

trick250r
07-14-2006, 07:31 AM
dont chop the throttle on a jump unless you have a pronblem with the nose coming up. just keep her smooth and steady... always gas on on the landings, you'll keep your momentum up.

xtullyx16
07-14-2006, 08:15 AM
I got another question also.. i have alotta small jumps like 10-20 feet and when im at the lip of the jump i rev my engine?? is this wrong and shoould I just keep a steady throttle??

trick250r
07-14-2006, 08:59 AM
i just keep on the gas, its more consistent than chopping the thorttle. also, NEVER tap your front brakes, always use the rear. by tapping the front brakes, you lose momentum and its a harsher landing... you can always get the rear wheels spinning again after you tap the rear brake.

MX MaNiAc 06
07-14-2006, 10:47 AM
Blipping the throttle on the face of a jump is just messy. I like to ride up to a jump about 3/4 throttle then just hold it pinned up the lip.

A good way to get a little speed on MX is go wayy faster than u need to be going at the jump then completely let off the throttle on the lip n preload. Ive tried it but its crazy. It takes a lot of skill.

400EXBill
07-14-2006, 12:28 PM
I had the same problems till a friend of mine told me to nail the throttle at the face of the jump. I hold about 1/2 - 3/4 throttle coming up to the jump and nail it at the face of the jump. In the air I will let off or blip the throttle and I'm back in it right before I land. The girlfriend was having the same nosedive problem till I told her to nail the gas at the face too. Fixed both our problems. I'm not sure about backing off the throttle before the face and then nailing it at the face. I would think you would loose all your momentum to carry you over by doing this. :huh

http://www.FullThrottleAssault.com/album_mod/upload/04.jpg

4punksdad
07-18-2006, 02:20 AM
whats a jump?

tp300ex
07-18-2006, 02:33 AM
go to the track and get some of the guys down there to help u...i did that and im pruty good at it now

250R-Dee
07-18-2006, 04:23 AM
Here are some videos of Doug Gust that I found on one of my old hard drives.

Helmet cam
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bz0z4pZKn3M"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bz0z4pZKn3M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mp8fjeu7qKg"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mp8fjeu7qKg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I have one of his snowmobile videos too if you guys want to see it.