PDA

View Full Version : Can you tell me the problem??

YZ400EX
01-22-2006, 02:22 PM
Here is what happened on a 350X motor while rippin up some dunes!! The intake valve snapped off, hit the piston, rattled around for a second or 2 and stuck in the head. It broke the end of the pug off and grinded it up a bit, smashed a good chunk out of the piston, but amazingly didnt even scratch the cyclinder..Anyone know where I can buy a cheap 350X head??

YZ400EX
01-22-2006, 02:23 PM
The sand is all over the motor from being pulled back out of the dunes after the engine locked completely up!! Here are some pics of the head..

YZ400EX
01-22-2006, 02:24 PM
I have never seen a valve snap off and stick in the head like this before..

YZ400EX
01-22-2006, 02:25 PM
I really dont have any plans of repairing this motor if I cant find a cheap head so if anyone is interested in an almost complete 350X engine let me know..The botom end and cylinder is still perfect..would just need a head and piston..

spent21
01-22-2006, 02:39 PM
at what rpm did this happen?
my guess is above 6000. what most likely happend is you floated the valve. the rpm's get pretty high, and the valve spring doesn't have enough strength to get the valve closed before the piston comes up and smacks it. it happens.

Cody_300ex
01-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Same thing happened to my 300ex motor, but I broke both of the intake valves. Tom Clarson said that from running a bigger cam, and h/d valve springs caused the valves to tighten up. He also said when the stock springs were in there the valves wernt going into the head nearly as hard or fast, therefore ripping the valve from the stem. Seamed like a very good explination to me.

Cody_300ex
01-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Heres what mine looked like

Cody_300ex
01-22-2006, 02:51 PM
piston and valves

Cody_300ex
01-22-2006, 02:57 PM
Another of the piston

YZ400EX
01-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Yea that does look alot like this motor, but mine has the valve stuck about 1/4" into the head..yours is pretty banged up also. This thing is stuck hard..I cant even get it out with pliers..I have no idea why it happened really..the motor was running fine and then all the sudden it was locked up..The motor wasnt even reving that high when it happened. I want to just buy a new motor and slap it in..This motor was just rebuilt only about 30 hours before this happened..Oh well..I dont wanna spend the time fixing this one..

Cody_300ex
01-23-2006, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by YZ400EX
Yea that does look alot like this motor, but mine has the valve stuck about 1/4" into the head..yours is pretty banged up also. This thing is stuck hard..I cant even get it out with pliers..I have no idea why it happened really..the motor was running fine and then all the sudden it was locked up..The motor wasnt even reving that high when it happened. I want to just buy a new motor and slap it in..This motor was just rebuilt only about 30 hours before this happened..Oh well..I dont wanna spend the time fixing this one..

Samething here, I had the idle turned up to about 1/4 throttle to let the battery charge and it ticked real loud, a clunk, and it shut off. One valve was just setting there, and the other stuck in the piston but I pulled it put by hand.