PDA

View Full Version : Valve Springs ?

B@ckBoneBelgium
07-09-2002, 02:43 PM
Hello ,

In the fase that I am installing my HRC Kit , I have came up with a interresting question? In the HRC Manual they said nothing about changing Valve springs or even hardening your rockers . Well in the Kit there is a HRC Cam , with the compression release provided . The bore will be the stock bore , only the compression ratio is changed from 9.3:1 to 11:1

Now my question will be if I really need those Valve Springs ? If I need them witch brand should I get and why ( stronger , quality , etc ) .

I do not think I will need them because thinking the HRC cam is a drop in cam that compares to the Hot Cams stage 2 , but the HRC equals the Material being used on the stock TRX400 Cam . What do you guys think .

Tell me what you guys think or experience , because now the engine is still open and I could change now and not opening it again later .

tnx for your time ...

400exRacerX
07-09-2002, 02:45 PM
The HRC cam is a "drop-in" cam therefore you don't need stiffer valve springs or hardfaced rocker arms.

07-09-2002, 02:48 PM
Norms correct...most aftermarket cams will specify stiffer springs and hardened rocker arms if necessary,,if ya got the money and want to get them go for it,,but I'd leave er be..:D

DiceMan400
07-09-2002, 07:57 PM
I will have to disagree...... You may not need to have your rockers hardend but I would get better valve spings........ Look at it like this....... You have the engine open already........ I saves you from opening the engine again when the stockers crap out......

Evan
07-09-2002, 10:51 PM
Whether it needs them or not, its worth the 100 bucks to have em. Belive me I know after having the stockers fail. You will much rather pay 100 bucks than 800 right? I got mine from Sparks, comes with retainers. Hope this helps.

VarmintHunter
07-10-2002, 07:02 AM
I've had a HRC cam in my 400EX for two years now. I have the hardened rocker arms but used the stock valve springs up until three weeks ago. Three weeks ago I installed RD valve springs and titanium retainers. I wasn't having a problem with my valves floating, I just wanted to upgrade the springs. After installing the springs I did not notice any improvements in top end power or how fast it would rev up.

At the same time I upgraded the clutch springs to Barnett heavy duty clutch springs. That did make a noticable difference. I ride in the dunes a lot and my stock clutch was slipping often. I measured the plates and fibers and they were hardly worn. No more slipping with the new clutch springs.

Ketch
07-10-2002, 09:53 PM
B@CKBONEBELGIUM I think if it was necesary Honda would have them in the kit. If your rideing style makes you run upper end of the rpms range you might want to look in to it new spring that is. For the rockers you don't need that also. If the two parts that run together or no more than than five points different in hardness
they should be fine. The points are on the rockwell c scale. Imfo from a college coarse in metallurgy. :D Jimmy