PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using HydroDynamics Ishock?

Brown450R
01-21-2006, 05:58 PM
I'm thinking about using this for mx on my 450r. Anybody using this yet?

Colby@C&DRacing
01-23-2006, 08:54 AM
We have been testing the i5500 front suspension system and have been very happy with it. Look for a full test review soon. :)

Brown450R
01-29-2006, 06:25 AM
Is there enough ride height adjustability in the shock to get it low enough for mx?

Jersey450R
01-29-2006, 07:38 AM
there is ride height adjust. i have the complete i5500 kit on my 450 and just hit Hardrock in Ocala, Florida and Bartow as well. The shocks feel extremely good. the only thing i did was go 2 clicks up on the compression and 3 turns out on the rebound at Hard rock because it was real bumpy. I put them back to the factory settings at Bartow which was a flat sandy track with huge jumps.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid199/p5ec1c6bc230ea7c29c88a8b3183c7878/f0b03f67.jpg

also, check out the thread about my rebuild here.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=200619&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

pudamac12
01-29-2006, 10:24 AM
yeah but they are not triple rate spring and are not the best setup for mx. The arms are fine but for serious mx they are not the best buy by any chance

Jersey450R
01-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by pudamac12
yeah but they are not triple rate spring and are not the best setup for mx. The arms are fine but for serious mx they are not the best buy by any chance
dude, the main purpose and function of the upper springs on a triple rate shock or whatever are there to keep the bottom spring tight.

the shocks feel great, its the arms i'm worried about.

01-29-2006, 03:50 PM
The i-shock a-arms are top notch. They about as good as you can get for a +2 standard length shock setup. Unless you need ajustable castor, or you have to have long shock ....these are the arms to buy.

Pappy
01-29-2006, 04:02 PM

LMAO!

here buddy, take this nickle and buy a clue:p

pudamac12
01-29-2006, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
LMAO!

here buddy, take this nickle and buy a clue:p

hey look man I am not on this site to trash other people. I have better things to do with my time. Sorry your beliefs are not the same as mine but your entitled to believe what you want. And I have seen these shocks at the track and the quads simply don't handle the tracks as well as other setups. For woods racing and trails I have no doubt that these are a great setup. I am just saying for mx there are better choices. I have personally spoken with the guy who designed them and even he agreed that for mx there are better choices. And because of this fact they are now working on prototype long travel setups for mx. If they were good enough as is why would they be building something different. You tell me.

humblesquirel21
01-30-2006, 01:21 PM
what exactly does the camber and castor adjustments adjust i get rebound compresion and all that but i dotn understand what camber and caster are exactly does it have to do with the tilt of the wheel in or out and another question what is the theroy behind plus one foward why is it better to have the front wheels a little bit more forward

01-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Here is my best try....

camber - measured in degrees. usually want to run about 2 or 3 degrees of camber. This would look from the front of the quad like the top of the tires are closer to the frame then the bottom.

castor - also measered in degrees is the angle of the spindel. As you add more castor, or lean the top of the spindle back it decreases your turnning, and also feed back to the bars.

+1 forward - lengthens bike - also used to distribute weight to keep the front end down. I think years ago aftermarket suspension manufactures believed it balanced the chasis better.Some manufactures now believe there is no benefit to moving the arms forward on most bikes.

humblesquirel21
01-30-2006, 08:03 PM
thanx that makes sence and that also sounds right from what i have heard befor :)

Pappy
01-30-2006, 08:14 PM
hey look man I am not on this site to trash other people. I have better things to do with my time. Sorry your beliefs are not the same as mine but your entitled to believe what you want. And I have seen these shocks at the track and the quads simply don't handle the tracks as well as other setups. For woods racing and trails I have no doubt that these are a great setup. I am just saying for mx there are better choices. I have personally spoken with the guy who designed them and even he agreed that for mx there are better choices. And because of this fact they are now working on prototype long travel setups for mx. If they were good enough as is why would they be building something different. You tell me.

where there is a market to fill, someone will fill it. seeing they did not offer a LT set up, they needed one to gain entry into that market.

my comment was more based on your statement about the tripple rate springs. you obviously have the time, you just dont have the knowledge.....for if you did you would explain the testing you preformed on the different set ups to level your opinion, not merely base it on what you have seen. I can ask Gust to race on worn out monroe shocks from a 78 caddy but I think he would still hand me my d!ck even tho I would be on a QUAD rate :eek2: LT shock.

No offense taken from your post, none given in mine. But think before you start clamering about springs rates and downing a product that is a pretty decent set up.

IOWAracer
01-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Well said Pappy ^^^^^^^:devil:

Pappy
01-30-2006, 09:20 PM
I'd like to hear what jersey thinks about them arms, he seems concerned.

IMO, most of the standard arms on the market are outdated. riders of today are doing more just play riding then the top riders did on the track 10 years ago. Not hammering on anyones product in general, but standard $450 arms just dont seem to cut it these days.

pudamac12
01-30-2006, 10:32 PM
hey pappy no offense taken. What I meant to say about the triple rate springs is that they do allow it to sit lower for mx. I should have said this in my original post. And like I said I am sure the setup is good for woods and xc but I believe there are better choices for mx. That is all I am saying.

And I have ridden on both setups. I just figured I didn't have to explain every product that I have ever ridden. I now have motowoz shocks and I personally don't believe the I-shock could come close to my setup I have now. I have talked to a few local racers who had the i-shock setup for mx and they sold them to go lt. But once again it is all personal preference. I wasn't trying to bash the product just stating my beliefs.

Jersey450R
01-31-2006, 07:05 AM
I couldnt say more about these shocks. I think they feel great, act awesome in the rough stuff, and take big hits like the best of em. now, i do agree with pappy, the std. travel arms on the market today need a good reworking. something did happen to one of my arms but i'm not here to bash or destroy anyones reputation. Ishocks customer service is one of the best, most likely the best people i've delt with so far.

And oh yea, they have a few secrets brewing that i beleive i'm the only one that knows about. keep looking around there're site, it should be up in a few months. ;)

edit: now what i would consider in the future if my mishap should happen again would be to put my F8 shocks on maybe Houser or another std. arm just to see the difference.

Colby@C&DRacing
01-31-2006, 07:26 AM
We did alot of testing and comparson with this setup. We also collected some techical data during our testing to share with the members on here. I have ridden and serviced alot of shocks and feel that the Ishocks perform very well when you look at the fact that they are an entry level shock that performs way above entry level. I hope Harlen will have to time to get my test review up soon :)

Jersey450R
01-31-2006, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
We did alot of testing and comparson with this setup. We also collected some techical data during our testing to share with the members on here. I have ridden and serviced alot of shocks and feel that the Ishocks perform very well when you look at the fact that they are an entry level shock that performs way above entry level. I hope Harlen will have to time to get my test review up soon :)

Thtas what i thought when i started to ride these shocks, i said to myself..."wow, i feel like i'm riding an elka or axis shock" "I love these things"

01-31-2006, 08:53 AM
I think if you compair houser,laeger, and i-shock std length shock arms....they will all be about the same. Shocks do work great, but i am not hittin 50' gaps either. I rode the crap out of a z400 with this set up. wide open over the whoops handled great. Hit some good size jumps and landing in a whoop section....it soaked it up with out a problem. The bike was also really smooth over the chop. This combo will be more then most people need.

01-31-2006, 12:47 PM
You can look in the march Dirt Wheels and see Some new stuff from i-shock. Must be alot of people asking for long shock arms.......

adrenalinefreak
02-15-2006, 11:31 PM
Hey guys,

I should be receiving my i5500's sometime at the end of this week if my luck is good. I am currently running stock and I've bottomed out real good at least once and close some other times.

If I get them in and on this weekend and go for a ride I'll let you guys know. I push my bike pretty hard so I am really excited to feel the difference with suspension. Its the whole front end and guaranteed!!!

Jersey450R
02-16-2006, 05:57 AM
well, i used to bottom my stock fronts out a good 20 times a night at practice. you will be happy with the set up, most likely more than happy if you've only bottomed once do far.:uhoh:

your sponsored by ishock? what did they do for you?

adrenalinefreak
02-16-2006, 08:14 AM
they gave me one hell of a great deal!!!...once they get their new graphics I'll probably get a set...so far thats all we've worked out...

I've bottomed out several times on my quad but the worst yet was when it felt like I completely compressed my spine and neck...SHARP pains...I thought I was going to be done for a little while...I hit a jump and the height was about at least 10 feet, but the distance was about 30ft maybe more....not sure on the height, I was in the air for a very long time. I actually landed where the next hill was starting...nice huh...either way...I cannot wait to get them! And I am going to have them before Adelanto!!

bradley300
02-16-2006, 08:55 AM

thats hilarious, ive seen dual rate shocks out preform quad rates, and ssd shocks out preformed by non ssd shocks. more spings dosent automaticly make it a better shock, its all in the builders idea of how valving/springinf work together

TBD
02-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
thats hilarious, ive seen dual rate shocks out preform quad rates, and ssd shocks out preformed by non ssd shocks. more spings dosent automaticly make it a better shock, its all in the builders idea of how valving/springinf work together
Well said. Someone who actually sees outside of the box.

bradley300
02-16-2006, 10:10 AM
thanks! i'm young but i'm a sponge. i try to study and soak up most of the post that you, lazarus at gthunder and other suspension guru's make. i really want to learn as much about suspension as i can

spincr4hire
02-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by bradley300

Yeah, I got proof that. Laz took my fronts from triple to dual, and the rear from dual to single. Rides SO much better now, no comparison. Its all in the setup.

Chino886
02-16-2006, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by TBD
Well said. Someone who actually sees outside of the box.

But the magazine article said they were the best..........ha ha ha ha ha ha! My second cousin's brother's second aunt on my mother's side said that she has triple rates and she can jump 1,000 ft doubles in 2nd gear, half throttle with XYZ shocks! ha ha ha ha ha :D

Hey TBD, didn't we have a similar conversation in a post about 1 week ago.....:D

400grl
02-18-2006, 07:54 AM
Adrenilinefreak- you will bottom out even the best suspension if you land into the face of another jump like you did, or if you case a jump or flatland....

I'm sure you will love your new Ishock setup - I've seen these up close and they are sweet.......and your quad will feel so much better!! I might see you at the Adelanto GP if it's not too crazy there! LOL!!! Good luck!

tar
02-18-2006, 03:55 PM
how much do these shocks with a-arms cost

adrenalinefreak
02-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Picture before I put on the i5500 complete kit.

adrenalinefreak
02-22-2006, 10:58 AM
After I installed he i5500

Haven't had a chance to take it for a test ride yet. Probably do that on Saturday, the day before my race. we've got the tires on now and adjusted the tires (caliper) and hopefully it is aligned right!

adrenalinefreak
02-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by tar
how much do these shocks with a-arms cost

Full Retail on the i5500 complete kit is around $1800 give or take some depending on who you get them from. Not bad if you really break down and look at everything you need when you do your front suspension. For instance a lot of people forget about the brake lines and other stuff that does not come to mind.

Price out everything individually and see what it totals and then make your decision. I let you guys know what I think about them as far as riding goes after my race.

adrenalinefreak
02-26-2006, 11:06 PM
THANK GOD FOR ISHOCK!!!

Just got back from my race in Adelanto and I don't know what I would have done without the front suspension...I was getting bucked quite a bit but the front end absorbed some of it...(Still have stock rear shock)...

The whoops sections(most of the 11 mile track) were rough!! I was flying through them until my thumb was unable to push my throttle...not good....but I would rest it for a little and then right back on it....But the shocks handle very well...

I've never been on any of the other aftermarket shocks but for what it is worth...ishock is great and they give you everything you need in one kit for the whole front end!! Even the things that most people forget about or could use...For instace the brake lines and the really nice brake line clamps...

Anyway...I said I would report back on my feedback from the shocks after my race...I love them!

Yee-Haw_400EX
06-16-2006, 11:49 PM
hey pappy no offense taken. What I meant to say about the triple rate springs is that they do allow it to sit lower for mx. I should have said this in my original post. And like I said I am sure the setup is good for woods and xc but I believe there are better choices for mx. That is all I am saying.

And I have ridden on both setups. I just figured I didn't have to explain every product that I have ever ridden. I now have motowoz shocks and I personally don't believe the I-shock could come close to my setup I have now. I have talked to a few local racers who had the i-shock setup for mx and they sold them to go lt. But once again it is all personal preference. I wasn't trying to bash the product just stating my beliefs.

Pics?