PDA

View Full Version : Air filters

wagsracing
01-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Whats everyone running for an air filter. I was running K&N on my last quad and had no problems but I heared they let in to much junk and can damage the engine. Feed back would be appreciated

woodsracr940
01-20-2006, 11:14 PM
TWINAIR, WITH either a outerwear, or a twinair coverfilter

yamaherman1
01-21-2006, 08:11 AM
dont spend ur time lookin for a new filter keep ur k&n. they are the best period.

HondaRider250
01-21-2006, 10:36 AM
yeah id keep the k&n...they do let a lil dust in form what ive heard but i dont think its anything to worry about. i ride in missouri and in the summer its dusty as hell and ive had no problems. i also have a K&N powerlid airbox lid too so that might filter a lot of it too

Quad18star
01-21-2006, 02:49 PM
Sparks filter .

I don't know about K&N in a quad . I have them in my car and truck but I just wouldn't be able to trust it in very dusty conditions . To me nothing beats a foam filter that's well oiled up .

dopeyferree
01-21-2006, 03:46 PM
You should check out the Ready Racing filters, same quality filter as twin air but they come pre oiled and ready to install. They are only $10 at your dealer. For this price I will never clean another air filter again. They can be cleaned and reused like all other air filters but if you dont want to clean them just toss it and pick up another

wagsracing
01-21-2006, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the input

jbplayfz450
01-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Everybody has a story about how "my buddy" did this or that. So, here's mine: My buddy ran a K&N on his 450R and the dust that it let into the motor cost him a prematurly worn piston. And get this, Honda said it's due to misuse of the quad and wont cover it under his extended waranty....:eek2:

So I'll keep running my UNIfilter and not think twice about how my quad "might" have .5 more horespower if I ran a K&N.

Crackhead_Willy
01-24-2006, 09:23 PM
It depends what kind of riding you do, but I prefer UNI or Twin Air foam filters because I ride in wet and muddy conditions often. I ran a K&N in my old Raptor with the lid off and when the paper used to make the K&N filter got wet it would run like crap until the filter dried out. I have absolutley no problems riding in wet or muddy conditions with a foam filter:cool:

JMaN05
01-28-2006, 02:48 PM
i saw a little study in a magazine that the k&n's are actually bad!? they said that the k&n lets in too much dirt and ust and goes right into your engine. they said the foam filters are where its at and that they do not let in dust and dirt(or as much) like the k&n. but then i was thinking, what about a K&N with the outerware? i would think that would be pretty good and hold out dirt. especially since i keep my lid on! my personal opinion, K&N with outerware, i was never a big fan of foam's..

trx400exxracer
01-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by jbplayfz450
Everybody has a story about how "my buddy" did this or that. So, here's mine: My buddy ran a K&N on his 450R and the dust that it let into the motor cost him a prematurly worn piston. And get this, Honda said it's due to misuse of the quad and wont cover it under his extended waranty....:eek2:

So I'll keep running my UNIfilter and not think twice about how my quad "might" have .5 more horespower if I ran a K&N.

I agree i would get a twin air or a UNI

yamaherman1
01-29-2006, 10:22 AM
idk dude my cousin had to rebuild his motor twice cause his uni fell of his 450r. it didnt even matter how hard u tighted the thing down it would come off while he rode. there goes like 3000 down the drain.

K&N ALL THE WAY!!!

hokes
01-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Here is my first hand experience:

I run the Pro Design intake on my airbox. I have both the K&N and the Foam (made by UNI). I started with the k and n. Went trail riding the summer. It was dusty as all hell. You couldnt see the rider five feet in front of you. When i got home and cleaned the filter. I noticed some dust in the intake boot. So i took the carb apart and there was some dirt in there. So i ordered the Foam filter from Rocky Mountain for only 30 bucks. They both fit on the pro flow aluminum bracket.

The K&N will give you a little more air, which means that it wont protect as well. So i only use it in wetter(muddy) conditions and in the sand. Dont forget to use the outer wear. When it is dusty i throw on the UNI. I have had no problems since.

I have seen the sparks filter. It looks like the Pro Design foam without the other foam wrap. They are probably made by the same company.

hondaexryda
01-29-2006, 06:48 PM
Running FCI intake, its a K&N 6ply filter, havent tested it, but dynoed more throttle response, wider powerrange and 1-2hp more than prodesign

ran ESR which also is a K&N, ran flawlessly no problems, nice intake for the money

400exmatt
01-29-2006, 06:59 PM
UNI