PDA

View Full Version : Bare Performance Gusset Kit

Pappy
01-20-2006, 05:44 PM
I finally had a chance to use one of thier gusset kits and I thought I would post what all i found while doing the install.

The packaging is great, and looks nice and laid out well. I had already discussed this kit with Bare Performance and explained to them the differences I usually use when gusseting a frame. Be that as it were, i decided to not use the complete kit and I will explain further into this thread.

Pappy
01-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Kits are available for the 450R, YFZ450, Z400 & KFX400, the 400EX is soon to be added.

Retail pricing for the kits runs $68 + s/h and each kit contains enough laser cut gussets to handle the job. Directions and a part layout are included in each kit.

Pappy
01-20-2006, 05:48 PM
A diagram showing where each gusset should be installed is printed on the reverse side of the parts layout.

It is not easy to show exactly where the directions show to install the gussets, so if this is your first time, lay out every gusset and make sure you know where you will be installing it.

Pappy
01-20-2006, 05:49 PM
Prefitment of the gussets showed that they were cut very well and other then fine tuning them could easily be installed out of the packaging.

Prep is up to the installer, I prefer to sand away all paint from where I will be installing the gusset.

Pappy
01-20-2006, 05:51 PM
I chose to use 2 of the gussets in an area I prefer to have covered, and will add 2 of my own where the instructions state 2 more should be.

Any person with welding expierence can handle the installation.

Pappy
01-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Most areas that are normally gussted are included, and for the price, the kit will save headaches from someone cutting out thier own kit.

Pappy
01-20-2006, 05:54 PM
The left side lower subframe mount gusset is included, the right side is already strengthened from the factory on the 450R

Pappy
01-20-2006, 06:01 PM
There are 4 gussets that I did not wish to install.

2 are the large Bare logo gussets. In my opinion they are overkill and a smaller triangular gusset will take thier place. Keeping welding to a minimum I feel is required and the extra welds needs for them is unwarranted.

The second 2 gussets I did not install were probably one of the most important areas that needs addressed. These 2 gussets are mounted under the upper frame tube where the cast piece meets the main upper tube. The 450R is prone to cracking where Honda welded it together just behind the end of the upper engine mount. Once again, the supplied gussets in my opinion are too large, require too much welding and will still not prevent a crack.

With that said, I dont know if any gusset in that area will actually stop it from breaking. It is a design flaw and each company that makes gusset kits has its own way of dealing with it. I will make the usual surrounded gussets for that area that we have been using to finish up this frame.

All in all, the kit is priced very competitively. The ease of installation will be dependant on your abilities as the gussets are constructed so that only your frames welds may interfere with the precision of the fit. if your looking for a kit that is under the $200 range, you might want to give this one a look.

QuadRacer18
01-20-2006, 06:08 PM
:macho Thanks Pappy! You know of any companies that makes a guesset kit for a banshee?

Pappy
01-20-2006, 07:55 PM
not offhand,

if there is one made they have had quite some time to perfect it:p

QuadRacer18
01-20-2006, 08:04 PM
mine will still take a 450:devil:

96lapis coupe
01-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Could you post a picture of how you deal with the upper frame rail? Every 450 I know of that has been raced has cracked there, 1st on the right side then a few rides later the left side let's go. Thanks.

Pappy
01-21-2006, 03:05 PM
On ours, a piece of chromoly tube was split, then clamshelled around the area mentioned. I dont have any close ups but i will get one.

Rip_Tear
01-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Awsome write up Pappy!

Pappy
01-23-2006, 08:02 AM
close up of how we prefer to do them

gixer_boy99
01-23-2006, 09:08 PM
Hey pappy could you send me a copy of those instructions? If possible. Thanx

400exMO
01-24-2006, 07:56 AM
Do you happen to have a clue when the 400ex kit will be available.