PDA

View Full Version : Chain questions?

Mitch400EX
07-08-2002, 10:30 PM
I need to buy a longer chain for my new swingarm (+1.25). My question is do I have to go with an ATV specific chain (Like DID ATV 520 X-ring), or will a standard 520 motorcycle chain work without breaking? Info is greatly appreciated.

Castor-426ex
07-08-2002, 11:37 PM
really its up to you...i mean if you Are gonna buy a non o-ring 520 chain they cost like 20 bucks? but they arent great...after a couple of good rides your chain is gonna stretch...and its gonna be nasty....for a little more $$$$ you could put a high quality o-ring or X-ring chain on it, and not worry about it....youve got those sprockets to think about...crappy chain will hurt good sprockets...get the good stuff....

I put a regular 520 chain on my wife's Polaris...it broke after three rides.....

FAST400
07-09-2002, 04:30 AM
if i was u i would get a good o-ring chain.i still have the stock o-ring chain on my 400ex an its 2 years old,an still in good shape.

Ex'r Marlin
07-09-2002, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Mitch400EX
I need to buy a longer chain for my new swingarm (+1.25). My question is do I have to go with an ATV specific chain (Like DID ATV 520 X-ring), or will a standard 520 motorcycle chain work without breaking? Info is greatly appreciated. Like Castor-400ex, I too recommend an atv chain versus a motorcycle chain for the same reasons he stated. After I read your mods to your atv.... I highly recommend you get an atv chain!!!:)

Note: There are some good threads on here about chains and what name brand and style to get. (And for what they are, I do not find them to be expensive at all)

BTW Fast400..... You stated that you still have your stock chain and that it is in good shape after 2 years. I would highly recommend you take a look at the rollers for any cracks in them. That has been the first sign I saw of the chain going bad on the stock one. My 2 cents.

Mitch400EX
07-09-2002, 09:53 AM
Thanks guys, I'm definately going with an ATV chain. Being cheap won't fly with this one :)