PDA

View Full Version : anyone get a letter like this after selling a quad?

300exOH
01-19-2006, 09:58 PM
I got a letter the other day from the Ohio Dept. of Taxation. It is basically an audit asking me questions about a quad I sold a few months ago. It's basically asking how much they paid me for the quad and what condition it was in. Anyone else received a letter like this after selling a quad?

Just wondering why I would get a letter like this?:confused:

TheX1992
01-19-2006, 10:11 PM
I'm sure its something like when you goto the DMV and they ask how much you paid for your car, but it's illegal to understate the price because this is how they tax you. I'm sure they had some doubts about him saying he paid X amount of dollars for the bike.. I think you have 1 of 2 options.

1.) Tell them the truth. If he's lying, he will be caught and punished. But you did nothing wrong.

2.) Call the buyer and ask what he stated the buying price at, then tell them that price. Both of you will stay out of trouble.

Hope this helped.

300exOH
01-19-2006, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by TheX1992
I'm sure its something like when you goto the DMV and they ask how much you paid for your car, but it's illegal to understate the price because this is how they tax you. I'm sure they had some doubts about him saying he paid X amount of dollars for the bike.. I think you have 1 of 2 options.

1.) Tell them the truth. If he's lying, he will be caught and punished. But you did nothing wrong.

2.) Call the buyer and ask what he stated the buying price at, then tell them that price. Both of you will stay out of trouble.

Hope this helped.

That's what I was thinking. I have already contacted the buyer and he did "adjust" the price a bit. :eek2: I am going to tell them the price he wrote down on the title. I'm thinking they are sending out the audit because the price was a bit low for an '02 trailblazer. I can tell them the condition is a little worse than it really is so they don't ask any more questions. I hate to lie but I really don't want to get the buyer in any trouble since he was really good to deal with.

Thanks for the help.

TheX1992
01-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Good to hear.

bad01300ex
01-19-2006, 11:35 PM
why the heck did he go report the price anways:confused:

its just a freakin quad:rolleyes:

300exOH
01-19-2006, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by bad01300ex
why the heck did he go report the price anways:confused:

its just a freakin quad:rolleyes:

He had to in order to get the title put in his name.:ermm: :rolleyes:

01-20-2006, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
He had to in order to get the title put in his name.:ermm: :rolleyes: When we got my quad the guy was nice enought to say the quad was trashed and we got it for $1000 so we got a break on the title fee or w/e.

300exOH
01-20-2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by MXFourTwoEight
When we got my quad the guy was nice enought to say the quad was trashed and we got it for $1000 so we got a break on the title fee or w/e.

Yeah. That's basically what I'm going to do for this guy. I'm just going to put that it was in poor condition.