PDA

View Full Version : cleaning my outerwears need quick reply please!!

yellow400ex05
01-19-2006, 08:14 PM
I need to know how to clean my outerwears prefilter, should i use the compressed air to blow out the dust and dirt or use warm water and some soap?

Also about mt K and N airfilter is it ok if i do the same thing I did for my stock foam filter? I let it rinse and soak in some warm water with some Pine Sol for maybe an hour or an hour and a half, is this okay to do?

I already have it soaking, but I would just like to know so i can clean it propely next time. and if there is a proper way to clean the K and N's tell me how to, like do i rinse them under a faucet with water?

sorry for all of the questions the only directions I really have are on a sticker on my airbox lid lol, and they weren't too good.

hondaracer31
01-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Get some regular K&N filter cleaner. The cleaning directions are on the bottle. And get some K&N filter oil too. The filter without the oil won't stop any dirt.

prepracing
01-19-2006, 09:10 PM
you can clean the outerwears with soap&water or pretty much any kind of cleaner or just blow it off if its only dusty. But the K&N needs to be cleaned with K&N cleaner or anyother kind of paperfilter cleaner.. I think Klotz makes cleaner also, and also recharged with paperfilter oil

300exOH
01-19-2006, 09:36 PM
I would be careful what soap you use to clean the outerwear. I used simple green to clean my outerwear airbox cover and it removed it's waterproofing. Before using the simple green I could run it under water and nothing would get through but after cleaning the water would pour right through.

prepracing
01-20-2006, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
I would be careful what soap you use to clean the outerwear. I used simple green to clean my outerwear airbox cover and it removed it's waterproofing. Before using the simple green I could run it under water and nothing would get through but after cleaning the water would pour right through.

Outerwears are not "waterproof" they are "water repellant" just washing it in general will wear off water repellant more and more with each wash no matter what you use. However you can by the water repellent spray in an aerosol can like you put on fabrics or even scotch guard it and that works great ! I have used both !

yellow400ex05
01-20-2006, 04:54 AM
Well, I fell asleep last night lol, and I let the filter stay in the water for the night. So what I\\\'m doing now is perfectly fine tho for the filter right?

so I only did this for the first time cleaning it so I\'m going to get the cleaning oil next time. I previosly got the K and N filter spray so thats all good.

yellow400ex05
01-20-2006, 05:25 AM
I am letting my K and N airfilter dry and i lifted it up and i saw like purplish stuff, I don\'t know what it is?

bwamos
01-20-2006, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Yellow250ex04
I am letting my K and N airfilter dry and i lifted it up and i saw like purplish stuff, I don\'t know what it is?

The purplish stuff is the K&N filter oil.

Use the K&N filter cleaner. Spray it on, let it soak for a couple minutes. Was the filter out with a hose (no high pressure tip, just let it run through with no pressure). ALWAYS wash it form the inside of the filter. You want the dirt to push out, not in. Let it sit and dry overnight. Then spray on K&N filter oil,or a gause type filter oil. Foam filter oil WILL NOT WORK, it is not tacky enough and will let dirt right through.

300exOH
01-20-2006, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by prepracing
Outerwears are not "waterproof" they are "water repellant" just washing it in general will wear off water repellant more and more with each wash no matter what you use. However you can by the water repellent spray in an aerosol can like you put on fabrics or even scotch guard it and that works great ! I have used both !

Water repellent is actually what I meant. That's good advice with the scotch guard stuff though. I thought about that but I wasn't sure if it would clog up the outerwear. Thanks for the info.

400exc
01-20-2006, 03:56 PM
i blow both of them out with a air compressor, then wash them with kerosene

Crazy Diamond
01-20-2006, 09:38 PM
1st of all. You are not supposed to SOAK a K & N filter in water or kerosene. The instuctions on the filter box tells you that. Brush off the dirt, Spray K & N filter cleaner on, let sit for 10 - 20 minutes and then rinse well with a steady stream of water. Then let it air dry for a day and then spray K & N filter oil on.

Rico
01-21-2006, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by 400exc
i blow both of them out with a air compressor, then wash them with kerosene

Gas or acid is better than kerosene....:huh

Use the proper cleaner or don't use nothing at all...:ermm:

yellow400ex05
01-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Ok well i cleaned it and let it sit for the whole day and made sure it was dry and I rinsed off my outerwear sleeve or w/e u call it lol i reoiled it the airfilter with the K and N airfilter oil and let it sit for 20 minutes and then i resprayed the white spots and let it sit again i dryed the outerwears completely and put it back on the airfilter put the lid on and I'm set to go.

And BTW next time I'll have to filter cleaner and do it right next time lol. Thanxs for the help guys and gals!

As long as it wasn't gonna screw anything up by cleaning it the way I did for only 1 time its all good here! :D

later.