PDA

View Full Version : Rear Shock Adjustment

OTLEYEX
01-19-2006, 05:15 PM
How many adjustments can you make to the stock 2003 400 ex shock. I figured out how to tighten downt the spring. What is the flat screw driver adjustment do on the shock. Also, is there another adjustment available by using a wrench on the bolt that the screw inside of?

Thanks for your help.

hondaboy400ex55
01-19-2006, 05:37 PM
the flat head screw is a compersion just read ur owners manual it tells you all about it

NCexRider
01-19-2006, 06:19 PM
Lower flat head adjustment for rebound damping, upper flat head adjustment for compression damping ( there are 2). Clockwise = hard, couterclockwise = soft.

OTLEYEX
01-20-2006, 05:46 AM
So if it seems like I am bottoming out on basic jumps which one would I adjust? Thanks again for all your help shared.

troutman561
01-20-2006, 09:25 AM
turn the screw clockwise to harden up the shock

SHARPMACHINE
01-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by NCexRider
Lower flat head adjustment for rebound damping, upper flat head adjustment for compression damping ( there are 2). Clockwise = hard, couterclockwise = soft.

I do not have an owners manual so I may be able to "tune" my shock some more.

////// QUESTION = What do most people do to improve from stock??? //////

thanks

01-20-2006, 10:59 AM
if you have ab ou 265 to spend send thte shock to gt thunder for a revalve and get his rear linkage...it will do wonders for you...

www.gtthunder.com

SHARPMACHINE
01-20-2006, 02:33 PM
I may do that (especialy if mine blows) , but how much better can the stocker be by trying to dial it in??????

Anyone tryed it or??

thanks

SHARPMACHINE
01-23-2006, 06:23 AM
ttt

SHARPMACHINE
01-25-2006, 03:43 PM
somebody must have adjusted their stock shock?????????????????????????????

XCRACER26
01-25-2006, 03:56 PM
I have a works rear shock that I will sell. $300 it is pretty new its on ebay here is the Item number 4607379007.

SHARPMACHINE
01-26-2006, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by XCRACER26
I have a works rear shock that I will sell. $300 it is pretty new its on ebay here is the Item number 4607379007.

Nope, just wanting some help to adjust my stocker (never adjusted one before).

XCRACER26
01-26-2006, 02:23 PM
that goes for every one then because I need money for the upand coming RACE season.

SHARPMACHINE
02-01-2006, 06:50 AM
Yes, I am looking to buy some front shocks, but was wondering if anyone could elaborate on adjusting the stock rear one.

anyone??

thanks

SHARPMACHINE
02-06-2006, 11:22 AM
pppppppppllllllllleeeeeaaassseee

04ex400
03-09-2006, 01:22 PM
I just got a pretty good article from Quad off road magazine on suspension set up. Here is a run down of what they had to say on the subject.

First thing you want to do is adjust the "sag" or ride height of your shock. Done with the preload adjustment. First find a buddy to help you with this and then do the following:

1. have your buddy lift up on teh grab bar until the suspension is fully extended with the tires still touching the ground. Then pick one point on the swing arm and one point on the frame or grab bar and measure the distance between them. (make sure to mark the two points so that you know exactly where they are for the next measurement.) Record this measurement.

2. Drop the quad back to the ground and push down on the grab bar to let the suspension settle into its normal position under its own weight.

3. Now measure the distance between the same two points as used above and record this measurement.

4. Now subtract the second measurement from the first, and the result is what they refer to as "free sag." According to the article, you want this number to be idealy 10% of the total suspension travel. For example, if your shock has 10 inches of travel, the free sag should be 1 inch.

Ok, now that the "free sag" is set up, you need to check the "rider sag." This is the more critical number and may require that you comprimise the free sag value slightly depending on your weight and the spring rate on your quad.

To set up the "rider sag" You will now:
1. Sit on your quad in a neutral riding position and have your buddy measure the distance between the two points you used above.
2. Then subtract this number from the first measurement you made, the one where your buddy was lifting up on the grab bar. You want the result to be equal to 30% of the total suspension travel of your rear shock. For example, if your shock has 10 inches of travel, it should squat down 3 inches when you are seated on it.

** As I said earlier, the rider sag is what is most important but once this is set you should double check your free sag. If the free sag is significantly out of range the spring rate is incorrect for your weight and needs to be changed for optimum performance.

Ok, now for the compression and rebound. I'll do compression first, and again, this is all from the article in Quad offroad magazine.

Ok, COMPRESSION on my 2004 400ex is adjusted with the flathead screw on the left hand side UPPER end of the shock. If you find your shock bottoming out frequently you need to set your compression harder, turn the screw clockwise. I think it has set positions and will click but I'm not sure I haven't messed with it yet on mine. In any case don't turn the screw more than probably an eigth of a turn at a time...it doesn't take much. If your quad never bottoms out and feels too harsh, you need to soften up your compression. Turn the screw counterclockwise. Again, a little is all you need.

REBOUND is adjusted in the same fashion, but using the screw on left side of the LOWER end of the shock. Here, the general rule is "the faster and harder you ride, the faster the rebound needs to be." Rebound damping controls how fast the shock extends after it is compressed. So, if you ride hard and fast, you may want to increase the rebound (turn the screw clockwise), however if you are not as aggressive or the terrain is not as rough, you may decrease the rebound (turn the screw counterclockwise).

Ok, I hope this helps you out...sorry it is so long but I thought it was a pretty good article and should be helpful.

*** The above information is taken from the April 2006 issue of QUAD Off-Road Magazine***

SHARPMACHINE
03-10-2006, 05:16 AM
04ex400,

Thanks alot! I will try to post back with results.