PDA

View Full Version : Question about assembly lube

sly400ex
01-19-2006, 02:41 PM
I was at the local Honda dealer the other day, and the mechanic there recommended using 80-90W oil for assembly for my top end/ new cam rebuild. Would you guys recommend that?

alexmx22
01-19-2006, 03:13 PM
i just finished a cam job like 5min ago and we used Coastal engine assembly lube i dont know if just regular oil is cool to use because they are nothing alike.

NacsMXer
01-19-2006, 03:15 PM
You should pour a little of that oil up in the head, lube up the fresh cylinder wall with it as well as be using a good brush-on assembly lube on the cam before you start it up for the first time. I use Bel-Ray assembly lube I bought at the dealer, one can will last you a long time.

The assembly lube is key because it is very thick and will provide the new cam and rockers with enough protection before the oil has a chance to be circulated up there when the motor warms up ;) :)

zeppelin
01-19-2006, 05:07 PM
i have rebuilt a motor before with out it so it isnt really a nessecity ( motors were around way before assembly lube) so if your putting your motor togeher right now dont worry about it. but if your gunna go by the shop again before you put your motor back to gether i would definetly recomend it

2004exrider
01-19-2006, 05:31 PM
I just used normal Honda GN4 oil when i put my new cam in. Dont be afraid to use to much, that way you know everything has got a good coating.

Jimmy

bwamos
01-20-2006, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by sly400ex
recommended using 80-90W oil for assembly for my top end/ new cam rebuild.

Should work great. That's a very thick oil. It should stick to the cam / rocker pivot points well.

wilkin250r
01-20-2006, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by zeppelin
i have rebuilt a motor before with out it so it isnt really a nessecity ( motors were around way before assembly lube)

Yes and no. Before assembly lube, they just used regular motor oil.

ANY component in your engine that gets oil circulation, even a little bit, should have a coating of oil (or assembly lube) during assembly. This include the rockers, cam, timing chain, wrist pin, piston, cylinder walls, ect...