PDA

View Full Version : Ticking Sound...?

2006-400ex
01-19-2006, 02:32 PM
I was riding today.. had the quad about a month now.. ive changed oil in it once.. i went up 2 my friends houes for 2 hours maybe and let my 2006 400ex sit there... when i took off i noticed a ticking sound of some sort from the motor.. im wondering is this my valves..??(haven't been adjusted yet).. or something bad??? i checked oil b4 i took off and it was full and almsot new looking still..

thebigsd
01-19-2006, 03:04 PM
i bet its your valves i have a 00 440 ex and my valves have been ticking pretty loud i have taken it in several times to get them adjusted and it still ticks so im going to buy some new ones here in the future

Hondaman90
01-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Sounds like its either the timing chain or the valves.

2006-400ex
01-19-2006, 04:14 PM
i called local honda dealer and he said its either my "decompressor" or my valves .. im hoping its valves .. iuno

troutman561
01-19-2006, 04:37 PM
all 400ex's have a ticking to them tho, it could be nothing but how it is, but then again im not there to hear it so i couldnt tell ya if its louder than usual

NCexRider
01-19-2006, 04:49 PM
It is your valves. When you changed the oil the first time (after the first 20 hours) you should have had your valves adjusted. Your valves seat during the break in process and must be adjusted after 20 hours as I said before. This is a crucial service to the future performance of your motor.

rneal
01-19-2006, 05:58 PM
The ticking is from your timing chain being loose. The chain is either stretched or the tensioner is stuck or possibly bad.

Bullrider21
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
Your Quad is supposed to tick a little. It is actually really bad news if you dont here a tick. Get a set of feeler gauges and check them it will take you about half an hour its quick and easy

NCexRider
01-19-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by rneal
The ticking is from your timing chain being loose. The chain is either stretched or the tensioner is stuck or possibly bad.

I doubt that on a one month old 2006 400EX. Ask any authorized technician and they will stress the importance of a post break-in valve adjustment. I just bought my EX in September and my valves were rattling quite a bit before I serviced it.

bmurray
01-20-2006, 06:51 PM
valves.
just changed oil and adjusted my 05. Had about 10 or so hours on it. Much quietter now. But these XR400 engines do tick, just normal.

2006-400ex
01-20-2006, 07:17 PM
i took it 2 honda today and he said it didnt sound like valves or the decompressor.. unless it was stuck.. he said he also heard like an airleak somewhere in motor or soemthing iuno.. its all getting fixed uner warranty.. kinda sad.. i baby the 4wheeler and take awesome care of it.. and its in the shop more than i have rode it prolly lol... o well .. leaste its getting fixed freely..

m1ke
01-20-2006, 07:25 PM
far as i know ticking is normal man..

TRX_450
01-20-2006, 08:41 PM
mine does that when the oil needs changed...could be valves...and another thing is if i jus get on mine and giver hell itll tick....try warmin it up b4 u ride...no matter how hot it is outside..give it 2-5 minutes to warm up properly and see if that helps

2006-400ex
01-20-2006, 10:07 PM
NOOO this is a "loud" and distinctive ticking noise.. i know the sound they normally make.. but this is more noticable and it kinda sounds like airs leeking when i give it gas .. from somewhere iuno

yokeracer
01-21-2006, 04:25 AM
My 04 is 2 months old. I changed the oil last week, after filling her back up and starting the bike up, I heard a distinctive ticking noise too. I knew it had to be valves (brand new bike). So I read and re-read the article here about adjusting valves. It was easy as hell, took about half an hour. Sounds like it use to New:D. ....I just didn't have a way to get my bike up to the dealer for my first sceduled maintainance. Don't think I'll ever take it now. Should get my warranty money back:grr:

but seriously dude, read that article, it maybe somethin you would want to tackle next time u need a valve job.

yokeracer
01-21-2006, 04:28 AM
here's a pic of the bike when I was doin the valves.

My van was my garage that day.:D

2006-400ex
01-21-2006, 03:50 PM
i think it might be my carberator boot since u can hear an "air leak".. and ive noticed an amount of power loss.. so i hope thats just it

Rico
01-22-2006, 06:57 AM
I love how people jump right to telling someone the motor's blown, the timing chain is wore out, the timing jumped, the cam broke in half, blah, blah, blah...:rolleyes:

I see you live in OH. The weather is cold, the oil is not at the top of the motor so it will tick a little until the oil warms up and begins to flow properly. bad/old oil can cause this and valves needing adjusted will cause this. I see you have an 06 so it's probably just time for the first tune up. PUt some synthetic oil in it and it will help the motor a lot.

Also if the airboot comes loose from the carb you'll have more than just power loss it'll barely get out of it's own way. It will basically run like crap and you'll know 100% that it's loose, I garauntee that.

yokeracer
01-22-2006, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I love how people jump right to telling someone the motor's blown, the timing chain is wore out, the timing jumped, the cam broke in half, blah, blah, blah...:rolleyes:

I see you live in OH. The weather is cold, the oil is not at the top of the motor so it will tick a little until the oil warms up and begins to flow properly. bad/old oil can cause this and valves needing adjusted will cause this. I see you have an 06 so it's probably just time for the first tune up. PUt some synthetic oil in it and it will help the motor a lot.

Also if the airboot comes loose from the carb you'll have more than just power loss it'll barely get out of it's own way. It will basically run like crap and you'll know 100% that it's loose, I garauntee that.

...:huh when I changed my oil, it was warm outside. Started bike, loud ticking (oil level was where it's suppose to be). The next day, it started snowing. Two days later, still cold, decided to adjust myself (no way to get to dealer). Did the deed. Right when completed, rolled her out of the van and started her up. Mind you, it was cold as he11. She ran with no ticking at all, all but the normal sound.
....All I was sayin is that since his bike is brand new, he could be needing his first maintainance inval like me.

2006-400ex
01-22-2006, 10:18 AM
i changed oil myself and last time i took it in for recall they said they "heard for the valves" and they sounded perfect.. hah.. but its in the shop now getting fixed.. its a LOUDer ticking noise than normal.. i know the honda tick:P lol but its ganna be for free.. i have brand new honda oil or w.e it is in it.. still looks new ..and full.. also been putting premium gas in it .. read the manual and itsays not to run lower than 87 octane.. which is unleaded in them

van0000x
01-22-2006, 05:39 PM
PG. 82 of the clymer manual addresses a "clicking sound": This may be caused by a decompressor unit failing to disengage. Put a wrench on the crankshaft and rock it back and forth abruptly, this should release the decomressor unit if it is stuck.