PDA

View Full Version : Dune Riding 101

rooster300ex
01-19-2006, 01:35 PM
I did a search on dune riding safety and many more and i didn't find anything. i was lyin in bed last night and thought of this. i think we need some kind of dune safety riding 101, and all other forms of riding. i'll leave it up to other people to do because i really don't know everything there is to know about riding in the dunes safetly.

450RgETiRdONE
01-19-2006, 01:42 PM
Thats true, some type of safety riding tips. I know here in oregon there are several different things that you have to be aware of. When riding the dunes. Esp Florence!Or Winchester w/Huge hills. Going up huge hills, going down huge hills, and utilizing your front brakes with cordination of back brakes to just plan stop on a steep down grade, which way to turn when you have oncoming traffic. And even statisitics of alcohol related accidents, not wearing your helmets, over the hill, and head on accidents. Just to let people know. That was A GOOD idea. some one should put some stuff together. A lot of this is common scence. But I think -Volitare once said "Common sence isnt so common".

rooster300ex
01-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Yea it is common sense. Most people know to scope out the area they are riding, but most isn't everybody. just thought it was a good idea. i'm sure somebody on here has alot of knowledge on dune riding, it may save a few lives. you never know.

450RgETiRdONE
01-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Oh yeah, just the knowledge that pertains twards safety, and knowing of causes, and the results of ones actions can help! Just a little bit of facts, can help every one. Even the ones that think they know every thing.

dariusld
01-20-2006, 01:15 PM
Go here (http://forums.atvconnection.com/messageview.cfm?catid=19&threadid=430312&highlight_key=y&keyword1=water)

oldsandman
01-20-2006, 06:40 PM
A no brainer, ware your helmet!

Use a flag

Be aware of the limitations of the machine and yourself. Ride within them.

Ride with someone. Tell your campmates where you’re going.

Learn the area you are going to ride. Which way the prevailing wide blows. What side of the dunes are slip faces, saw tooths or where witches eyes may be. Talk to locals or other riders with experience in the area. Remember the dunes can change day to day.

Be aware of other riders, especially at dune crests.

Don’t stop where other riders can’t see you, your bike or top of flag.

Carry something to re-hydrate.

Carry some simple tools (leatherman works well). I always have some electrical tape; some zip ties, a small adjustable wrench, a tow strap I made from 1’’ tie down strap and a flashlight. A cell phone or radio can be handy too. I add things to that list depending on the location. At pismo I don’t carry much as the area is small and you can hike from anywhere back to camp. At St.Anthony I tend to carry much more including a sweatshirt, snack food, lots of liquid. Just remember the temps drop very fast when the sun goes down so be prepared if you happen to break down.

Spark plugs (a holdover from my 2 stroke days).

Make sure you know what is on the other side of the dune you are going to jump! Use a spotter at the top of the dune crest when jumping.

When riding in a group use an experienced rider to be the chase rider. He rides at the back and lets no one in the group get left behind.

When the lead rider, (or someone else in line) comes up to a steep drop-off or other hazard, raise your hand. This gives the person behind them notice that something is wrong.

DaleJrFan
01-22-2006, 02:21 PM
One of the most common excuses I hear abut dune related injurys is that "It's my first time to ride here/or in sand". If its your first trip to the dunes, ride with someone who knows the area and under no circumstances do you ride wide open across the dunes not knowing what your doing or where you are at. Between 12 and 3, the sun is straight up and dosn't cast any shadows so you can be riding along and ground your riding on just drop out from under you. It may only be a 10ft drop off, but in 4th gear, it could be a long,fast,hard fall. I get caught up in the ole "I know what I am doing" rut and about every other trip I make this mistake and it is a reality check to slow down.

My group is pretty good during the day, but most of our accidents come after the sun goes down. Use as much lights as possible on your quad(visi-whip,tire-flys,bright head lights). If you havn't rode your location during the day, damn sure dont show-up, unload, and try to rip it up at night, your going to get hurt! Even if you rode the night before on the same dunes, when the wind blows, the dunes change. The leader needs to ride smartly not going too fast and going up and down hills that are challenging during the day, if one person in the pack makes a mistake, the riders behind him will pay.

The last thing is dont do what everyone else is doing to look cool. People seem to try to outride the limits of their skills or quad has to offer just to impress everyone else and it leads to the E.R.(whick is sometimes a long way from the dunes).

450RgETiRdONE
01-22-2006, 02:55 PM
Exactly!!!!! That is probably the number one thing that people need to know.