PDA

View Full Version : installing a cam

09-28-2001, 05:12 PM
I just order a wiseco 11:1 piston and a gt tunder cam. I was wondering how hard it is to istall a cam. thanks

FlyinRed
09-28-2001, 05:27 PM
Ive done the cam, just loosten all of the bolts (leave the bolts in) on the valve cover and pull it streight off. Tie the chain to the cam gear and put tension on it. Note the position of the lobes right now! Remove the 2 cam bolts (you may have to rotate the engine) and pull the other end up. this should give you enough play to pull it out.

nakomis0
09-28-2001, 08:32 PM
yup, get a manual, follow the torque settings... shouldn't be that bad.

On thing to watch for is the timing chain lower gear,... just keep some tension on the chain, because I had the darn engine all done except the top cover and then that chain came off the teeth on that lower gear,,,,,,, what a pain , about 45 minutes with a magnet......but all in all not bad:)

09-28-2001, 09:40 PM
ALSO WHEN REINSTALLING THE NEW CAM IT WILL NOT HAVE THE COMPRESSION RELEASE BUILT INTO IT SO YOU WILL HAVE TO REMOVE IT FROM THE HEAD BUT ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS JUST REMOVE THE LITTLE PIN CLOSEST TO THE TIMING CHAIN STICKING OUT OF THE HEAD AND REMEMBER TO ALSO REMOVE THE SPRING BELOW IT BUT DO NOT DO NOT DROP IT INTO THE MOTOR. AS FAR AS CAM TIMING BRING YOUR PISTON UP ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP BEFORE REINSTALLING THE HEAD AND LEAVE IT THERE. NOW WITH THE PISTON ON TDC REINSTALL THE HEAD POINT ALL OF THE LOBES ON THE CAM DOWN AND ON YOUR CAM SPROCKET THERE SHOULD BE THREE MARKS ALINE THE TWO ON THE SIDES WITH THE TOP EDGE OF THE HEAD AND THE ONE IN THE MIDDLE STRAIGHT UP AND YOU WILL BE DEAD ON. HOPE THIS HELPS:D