PDA

View Full Version : first oil change?

450Rkiki
01-19-2006, 08:45 AM
whats up guys im new to this forum and to my new 06 450R. Im doing my first oil change and was wondering if i should change the trans. oil too? Also every how many hours should i change my motor/trans oil?.. The manual says every 100 hrs, is this right? Im using factory honda oil, should i consider something else?

woodsman250r
01-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Welcome aboard bro. Just to be on the safe side change the trans. oil as well, and if you have one put in a new oil filter. I know the manual says 100hrs but I would never go that long. I normally change mine every 4-5 rides or every 5-6 hours whatever comes first. I change the filter every other oil change as well. The Honda GN4 for the engine or trans side and HP trans for the tranny is great stuff and that is what Honda recommends, don't switch unless you have problems with it. Honda doesn't put their name on junk and their oil isn't any exception.

QuadRacer041
01-19-2006, 09:15 AM
just a little extra info, you can also use the same oil you use in your engine in your trans too.
i run amsoil 10w/40 in both sides.

Dave400ex
01-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Is that good for the trans to run the same oil?

woodsman250r
01-19-2006, 09:03 PM
Yes it is fine, the manual states you can use 10w40 in both the engine and clutch side. But I have also heard that a lot of people run the HP trans for the tranny side and that works great as well. But either way you shouldn't have a problem using the Honda or another quality oil in both sides.

walsh450r9
01-20-2006, 01:44 PM
You really need to stay on top of the oil changing part on the bike because thats when it all comes down to how long the engine will last. Change every 3 rides and clean your filter after every ride.

2MuchChi450R
01-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Def change it after about every 4-5 rides, same with the tranny. You can use the same oil in both sides, like Honda's GN4 or HP4, but I seem to get a little more out of my clutch by using the HP Trans in the clutch side, just make sure you don't use any oil with friction modifiers in your clutch side. After about the 5th oil change, you can switch to a synthetic, full or a blend, in the crank after everything is broken in. Make sure you do routine maitenance and you won't have any major problems.