PDA

View Full Version : 400EX starter problems

ijustwannaride
01-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Hey everyone....I'm not familiar with Hondas, and I'm working on a buddy's 400ex for him. When I went to start the quad, it sounded as if the starter was spinning free; It wasn't catching or turning over at all (it's not the battery since I had it hooked up to my truck). So I pulled the starter cover off to see if any teeth were stripped, and they weren't. All were meshing fine. So, I pushed the starter again with the cover off, and the starter/gear was turning like it should, and was also turning the gear directly underneath it just fine.....the one with that spins free with the shaft. The third gear, the biggest one in the bottom-end of the motor, was also turning, but wasn't grabbing anything. It was just spinning free, and I though it had a one-way bearing on it to catch the compression of the motor and start it up. Is the one-way bearing shot or what?? Anyone had a problem like this???
Thanks....

ijustwannaride
01-21-2006, 01:02 PM
......nobody??

JOEX
01-21-2006, 08:35 PM
Moved this to the Powertrain section, might get a better response after teh weekend.

I don't know much about this but someone posted a similar problem recently, maybe a month or two ago? I think it was the one-way bearing.

You can try the dreaded 'seach' option, I know no one likes to:p I would but not enough time tonight:ermm:

ijustwannaride
01-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Dunno if anybody's reading this or not....I think I found what it is. It's the starter clutch, which is that one-way bearing I was talking about, I just didn't really know what it was called. So, if anybody else has these problems, check it out.

02-09-2006, 04:32 PM
i have a 2002 426ex with starter problems and it sounds like the starter is turing freely on it to and i was just wondering wat u did to fix it because i usally ride dirt bikes and got this quad and i had it for like 2 weeks and i wa riding down the road and it died and wouldnt start again for me and then wen i put it in 1st gear and hit the starter button it like goes like a power wheel or somthing
and if u no will u please let me no here real quick
thanks blake