PDA

View Full Version : broken bolts

ride_red666
01-18-2006, 09:18 PM
so i was torqueing the valve cover bolts to half of what its suppposed to be at and one of the bolts broke, and two of the bolts stripped out the cylinder. has anyone elses done this? could it be cause from over heating and tweaking the alumnium? i have fixed the problem with heli coils.

NacsMXer
01-18-2006, 09:53 PM
That's nice you got it fixed. Yeah I accidentally did the same thing and misread my manual. I ended up tightening until the bolt twisted in half inside the head with a huge POP!

That 17 ft-lbs that is listed is for the center 12mm bolt on the head cover. The other 8mm valve cover bolts have NO torque value listed since they are intended to be just cinched down. I'm thinking that a regular ft-lbs torque wrench might be too large to get an accurate reading on such a small bolt. An inch pounds torque wrench might be more suitable, but what I do is just use a small 1/4 ratchet and snug each bolt down but not excessively.

Rico
01-19-2006, 06:57 AM
I"ve broke more got dam bolts on my 400ex than the law should allow, both in and around the motor as well as all over the frame...:mad:

I"M a master at using an easy out now...:o