PDA

View Full Version : 300ex help!!!!!!!!

badass300ex
01-18-2006, 07:35 PM
I just picked up my quad from the the shop , They put a web all around cam in and a stock bore high comp piston in. I aked the guy about the noise the motor is making and he said its normal. The noise is like a tapping clicky clangy noise . but when you give it a little gas it sounds like it goes away. Its only when its idel.but other than that it runs like a champ. He also said I have to break it in like a new motor 5 tanks of gas and just valves and I cant beat on it. Is this all true

bwamos
01-19-2006, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by badass300ex
I just picked up my quad from the the shop , They put a web all around cam in and a stock bore high comp piston in. I aked the guy about the noise the motor is making and he said its normal. The noise is like a tapping clicky clangy noise . but when you give it a little gas it sounds like it goes away. Its only when its idel.but other than that it runs like a champ. He also said I have to break it in like a new motor 5 tanks of gas and just valves and I cant beat on it. Is this all true

It is very true that the aftermarket cam will make a lot more noise than the stocker. The valves are shutting a lot faster. You will always hear a ticking.

Breakin is a little more controversial. Most people that have been doing motors for a while will tel you to warm it up for 5 minutes then break it in like you stole it, and give it heat cycles in proper intervals.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm is a common link to a well proven method.

And yes, you should check valve adjsutment after a few tanks of gas.

badass300ex
01-19-2006, 09:06 PM
Well I contacted web today and they told me the valves were adjusted wrong. They said they should be adjudted on the down siide of the cam what ever that means so I called the shop who did it and they said the bike was put back 100%. and then I tried telling him about what web said and he goes on about how long hes been working on these quads and he knows how to adjust valves and so on. Web said there should be no noise at all but alot of people say your gonna get a little . I rode it again for a few minutes and it still runs great .

ridinfool
01-20-2006, 09:22 PM
Well this is my 2 cents:
These motors are known for wearing the rocker arms,the new cam is lifting the valves more,and also keeping the valve open longer.What happens to these rocker arms is they begin to wear in two areas instead of one.They actually wear on each side of were they are suppose too which in turns makes a "tick".I'm not saying that this is what is wrong.But if this machine has alot of hours I would check this.
If you take your quad to a shop and have work done,and you have a issue, then the shop should address this.If this guy told you that this is normal(I'm not saying that you won't get some valvetrain noise with a aftermarket cam)I would take it somewhere else,because personally I don't think this guy is someone you want working on your quad.................
Again this is my 2 cents...................