PDA

View Full Version : 06 450R carb tuning

KWAD GAWD
01-18-2006, 07:17 PM
With a full exhaust system and good aftermarket air cleaner, you can have 47-48 HP from you stock engine, no HRC kit. HRC kit is great for MX, it adds to the top - but takes away from the mid and low. For woods, no HRC kit. Use a Baldwin woods cam instead - you'll be happy you did.

1. Running with NO airbox lid.
2. Accelerator Pump adjustment - Dremel groove and turn AP adjustor approx. 1/2 to 3/4 turn in. Test to make sure spray is strong and approx. 1.5-2 seconds long.
3. Replace stock needle with CRF 450 adjustable needle - Run on the 4th clip from the top.
4. 165 Main Jet.
5. 42 (stock pilot, no change).
6. #55 Leak Jet from (may come from Yamaha or Baldwin).
7. Run air fuel screw 2 turns out.
8. GNCC guys will benefit from a 39 Tooth rear sprocket.
9. Flywheel weight too may be beneficial for the woods.
10. Add a cam and you'll be up to 50 HP.

** ONE MORE THING - to avoid low battery problems, TRICKLE CHARGE - with a proper charger. Don't full blast it on HIGH! Trickle charge is a long slow charge that you may do for 6-8 hours at a time for best results. This a few times a week will keep your battery good and strong. DON'T OVERCHARGE! Overcharging will ruin your battery.

KWAD GAWD
01-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Cont'd....

Same MODs - without the CRF Needle, you're jetting will change.
Main Jet: 175
Pilot Jet: 48
**Air/Fuel "T Handle" from Scotts or Baldwin or White Bros. will allow you to fine tune your carb at the track without removing the carb. Great mod.
ALL THE ABOVE MODS WILL HELP WITH EASE OF STARTING and PERFORMANCE GAINS ACROSS THE BOARD, while keeping you engine basically stock and reliable without headwork or Titanium valves.

Just finished everything above and my bike completely rips.

RUN GOOD GAS!!

For pics and more detailed instructions go to:
www.hmfengineering.com - go to the FORUM section and look for TRX450R mods. There is tons of helpful info here.

Dave400ex
01-18-2006, 08:44 PM
So are you running setup #1 with the CRF needle? Also, how much is the Baldwin XC cam, that is actually what I planned to run, but was not sure if he had them for the 06 yet or not.

Is putting a Battery tender on the battery the same as mentioned and won't hurt it?

QuadRacer041
01-19-2006, 07:37 AM
so the 55 leak jet can only be bought from baldwin or a yamaha dealer?or does honda sell them also?

Colby@C&DRacing
01-19-2006, 07:53 AM
A lot of places sell the leak jets. We have numerous sizes and more on the way. We also have an adjustable needle.

KRMit
01-19-2006, 08:46 AM
Why would you screw the accelerator pump adjustment in when the HRC kit calls for screwing it out?

QuadRacer041
01-19-2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
A lot of places sell the leak jets. We have numerous sizes and more on the way. We also have an adjustable needle.

colby Pm me a price for the 55 leak jet and adjustable needle.
also your paypal info.

lou

Mobile Dyno
01-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Not to bash your thread but do you have dyno graphs of that? I have talked to top motor builders and they are getting 47-48hp on the 06' but it takes a cam to. I have seen 38-39 stock. Not going to get it with just an exhaust and filter or even with messing with the accelerator pump and leak jet. It takes a good exhaust, filter(no lid), cam, and jetting dialed in to get 47-48hp on the 06'. The 06' motor is more comlpex then the 04' 05'. Honda has stepped up some things with this motor to improve hp. Granted it it close to a CRF motor.

I also think the t-handle a/f screw is a bad idea to run, because I have seen it fall out. Luckly it was on the dyno and not on the trail. It moves to freely in there. Just trying to help everyone understand what you telling them

KWAD GAWD
01-19-2006, 12:53 PM
The "T Handle" adjuster can be held in place better with some clear blue RTV on the threads. This is an option for guys who really know their sh*t, and want to FINE TUNE at the track according to the temperature and elevation. It just saves having to take off the carb to gain access to the screw, by no means necessary for the average rider.

Starting at 39 HP - the HMF full system is giving me 6 HP off the bat... bumping up to 45. With the airbox lid off and a Pro Flow air filter system and carb mods and proper jetting and needle 47 HP is very reasonable estimate. This info came from a very reliable source.

KRMit
01-19-2006, 12:55 PM
I have the Zip Ty fuel screw and it's pretty snug.

KWAD GAWD
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by KRMit
Why would you screw the accelerator pump adjustment in when the HRC kit calls for screwing it out?
The AP is completely restricted from the factory. They have it set so it barely sprays for EPA emission reasons and things. Once you get a good groove in there, TURN IN, Clockwise 1/4 turn or so - then check spray (Make sure there's fuel in bowl). The stream should shoot under the slide AS SOON AS IT RAISES, but not hit the slide. The spray will shoot across the garage after this adjustment.

QuadRacer041
01-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by KRMit

i havent done this mod yet but ever place i read says turn it IN 1/4 turn

KRMit
01-19-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by QuadRacer041
i havent done this mod yet but ever place i read says turn it IN 1/4 turn I'll have to look at the HRC manual when I get home. I thought I remembered turning it out, but I may be wrong.

QuadRacer041
01-19-2006, 02:39 PM
http://www.hmfengineering.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1310

DanW
01-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by KWAD GAWD
The "T Handle" adjuster can be held in place better with some clear blue RTV on the threads. This is an option for guys who really know their sh*t, and want to FINE TUNE at the track according to the temperature and elevation. It just saves having to take off the carb to gain access to the screw, by no means necessary for the average rider.

Starting at 39 HP - the HMF full system is giving me 6 HP off the bat... bumping up to 45. With the airbox lid off and a Pro Flow air filter system and carb mods and proper jetting and needle 47 HP is very reasonable estimate. This info came from a very reliable source.

So if I add up the horsepower gain that every aftermarket company claims, I should come up with an actual hp rating! Wow! I just firgured out how to build a 60 horse '06R without even removing the head-SWEET! No more dyno time for me. I can't believe that we all waste our money on these dyno runs. :p

Get a grip man..... You can't trust the numbers until it's been tested on an actual dyno.

DanW
01-21-2006, 03:20 PM
And just so you know.... If you have an '06R, it already has titanium valves.

KWAD GAWD
01-21-2006, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by DanW
So if I add up the horsepower gain that every aftermarket company claims, I should come up with an actual hp rating! Wow! I just firgured out how to build a 60 horse '06R without even removing the head-SWEET! No more dyno time for me. I can't believe that we all waste our money on these dyno runs. :p

Get a grip man..... You can't trust the numbers until it's been tested on an actual dyno.
These horsepower numbers came from Baldwin last Thursday. Get a grip man... How would he have any clue about Honda engines and the power they produce? A mystery to me!! I just made all that up.

cjpoole1
01-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Mobile Dyno
I also think the t-handle a/f screw is a bad idea to run, because I have seen it fall out. Luckly it was on the dyno and not on the trail. It moves to freely in there. Just trying to help everyone understand what you telling them
If it falls out, it is usally because whoever put it in didn't pay atention when they took out the stock screw and lost something. It should have a small spring, washer, and o-ring on it.

DanW
01-22-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by KWAD GAWD
These horsepower numbers came from Baldwin last Thursday. Get a grip man... How would he have any clue about Honda engines and the power they produce? A mystery to me!! I just made all that up.

Was he drunk?:p

It's really tough to get more than 1-2 peak horse power from just a pipe. You might gain 5-6 hp at a certain rpm (over the stock pipe), but most likely not peak horsepower.

steve26
01-24-2006, 12:04 PM
DASA has dyno's saying that their exhaust nets a 6 hp PEAK gain... not just at one single point somewhere in the RPM range. So I am not doubting that at all.