PDA

View Full Version : idle problem

ducman
01-18-2006, 03:34 PM
I am having a problem with my bike dying when I come off the throttle, bike will idle fine when sitting in neutral. The bike is a 04 all stock, any ideas?

huffdaddy_400EX
01-18-2006, 03:54 PM
Did you check all the normal stuff:

Carb (clean it out)
Air filter (dirt)
Air boot (secured to carb and airbox)
Plug (fouled)
throttle cable play

Holsh
01-18-2006, 08:18 PM
I would clean the carb and air filter

ltz400rider118
01-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Also make sure the vent hose from the carb isn't pinched

ducman
01-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Ok this is where it gets strange, when I first got the quad I needed some parts for the carb so I borrowed one from a friends KFX and this is where I first had the problem. I thought it was due to the carb being set for his engine, but when I put my carb on it does the exact same thing. The air filter is clean, and all the connections appear to be fine. I do not have a vent line on the side of my carb and I even put a little extra slack it the cable to make sure that I and returning all the way to the idle screw everytime.

huffdaddy_400EX
01-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by ducman
Ok this is where it gets strange, when I first got the quad I needed some parts for the carb so I borrowed one from a friends KFX and this is where I first had the problem. I thought it was due to the carb being set for his engine, but when I put my carb on it does the exact same thing. The air filter is clean, and all the connections appear to be fine. I do not have a vent line on the side of my carb and I even put a little extra slack it the cable to make sure that I and returning all the way to the idle screw everytime.

When you ride what setting is you petcock set to? PRI, ON, or RES? If it's set to ON when the probelm occurs try setting to PRI and see if it still happens. You could have a fuel pick-up issue.

ducman
01-19-2006, 05:53 PM
I believe it has happened when the petcock has been set to PRI and RES. The engine runs fine at any thing over idle but will die when I pull the clutch or if I let it set and idle it will die in about 15 or 20 seconds when warm.