PDA

View Full Version : valve cover problem

2002Honda400ex
01-18-2006, 03:13 PM
I had to change the spark plug yesterday but did not have the thin walled socket, so had to take off the valve cover to get a reguler socket down there. Went to put it back on and 2 valve cover threads are stripped where the bolts go into the cylender. anny ideas on how to fix it?

400exstud
01-18-2006, 03:20 PM
You went through all that just to change the plug?! Couldn't you have just picked up a new tool kit from your dealer?

94F450SD
01-18-2006, 06:39 PM
you can heli-coil the holes.you just need to know what sizethread you need to buy the heli coil kit.it comes with the thread inserts,tap and installation tool.not sure if it comes with the drill bit you will need though.they work sweet!i used them on the timing cover on my truck where my high pressure oil pump bolts to.you can get them at autozone and stores like that.you may have to pull the head off to get at the holes with a drill.make sure you clean all the metal shavings out before puttungit back together.a shop vac works good for that.have somebody hold the vac hose near the drill and tap as you work and itll suck up the metal shavings

or drill and tap for the next size up.