PDA

View Full Version : New front end and axle

armysig
01-18-2006, 01:12 PM
First off I'd like to say hi. I just found this site and forum and I have really liked what I have read.

Ok, this last weekend my buddy and I replaced my stock front end and rear axle.

To start off I went to Ebay and wanted to get a quality set of shocks. I don't mind buying new, but I just didn't have the funds to get everything new.

So. I bought a set of Elka resivior compresion adjustable shocks for about $450.00. Not a bad deal if you ask me. I think these go for about $750.00 and up.

Second. I wanted a good set of A-arms. I researched some of the well known companies out there. Such as Lonestar, Houser, and a few others. When it came down to getting the A-arms I went with Quadpartsguy which is a dealer for American Star Racing. The set of A-arms I bought were ASR-107PSP TRX400EX Pro Star Plus A-Arms +2, Up 1. for a price of $459.00, which at the time included a set of FREE twin brake lines!!!!! I think they were valued at $65.00
The main reason I went with this A-arm is because it comes with a 100% Lifetime Structural Warranty. It doesnt' matter what you do to the A-arm. If you run into a tree, crash on a jump, or what ever, the A-arms will either be fixed or replaced. All you need to do is supply $20.00 for the shipping.

For the Axle my buddy suggested I check out Rockymountian ATV. He told me there was a very nice rear axle that can run +2 or +4 configuration. So i though what the heck why not. I was very suprised to see that the Axle was about $200.00. I thought what a deal!!!

In all I spent under $1,300.00 on a pretty nice susspention, A-arms and axle. And an added bonus was the FREE brake lines!

My next plan is the rear shock, and some engine work. I have a feeling this is going to be about another $1,000.00 of work, but well worth it.

armysig
01-18-2006, 01:15 PM
The new rear Axle. ohhh look at the crome!!!

reichart90
01-18-2006, 01:18 PM
keep all the papers for the gforce axle somewhere safe.
mine is shaped like a banana. its seems some are good and some are bad. i have yet to look at the warranty in detail

armysig
01-18-2006, 01:19 PM
I forgot to buy the brake line clamps. So instead try some clear rubber tubbing and a zip tie!

spaz416
01-18-2006, 03:47 PM
nice deal on the shocks. i like your idea for the brake line clamps:cool:

huffdaddy_400EX
01-18-2006, 05:02 PM
When you decide to do the rear I would suggest an Elka conversion. I had it done on my stocker to complement my Elka fronts and it turned out great. Check with C&D Racing, they do a great job.

serpent
01-18-2006, 08:11 PM
how many inches have right now whith the new susp..?

armysig
01-18-2006, 09:12 PM
I have gone a total of 4" wider and 1" longer. I might have to switch out the swing arm to match the front end geometry.

blakefoote
01-18-2006, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by reichart90
keep all the papers for the gforce axle somewhere safe.
mine is shaped like a banana. its seems some are good and some are bad. i have yet to look at the warranty in detail

mine is all good!!! I have broke 2 swingarms and not even the slightest bend in my axle....and it has taken a load of crap anyways

01-18-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by blakefoote
mine is all good!!! I have broke 2 swingarms and not even the slightest bend in my axle....and it has taken a load of crap anyways

dont take much to break stock swing arms. I have broke one due to not changing the bearings, and the other one just plain snappeed.

01-18-2006, 09:56 PM
oh and thoes a-arms are alright, my buddie has them. Personally I pretty much hate them, the squeak and bind up like crazy, he is also running 450r shocks up front, they top out the hemjoints, causing them to wear fast.

but with elkas they shour be a-okay.

blakefoote
01-18-2006, 10:22 PM
well it looks sweet to me....JMO:o

armysig
01-19-2006, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by mittimj
oh and thoes a-arms are alright, my buddie has them. Personally I pretty much hate them, the squeak and bind up like crazy, he is also running 450r shocks up front, they top out the hemjoints, causing them to wear fast.

but with elkas they shour be a-okay.

I spoke to the guy at American Star racing about putting 450 shocks on my quad with the A arms I bought. His advice is not to do it. The A-arms are not designed to go with stock shocks. I know they fit, but he stated there would be binding and it's possible to weaken the Hiem joints from the stress.

I rode my friends Z400 that has the same A-arms that I have and I found that there were no squeaks, bindings or anything of that nature. It's just one of the reasons I went with this A-arm.

01-19-2006, 07:56 AM
I bet it is thoes 450r shocks. On his quad the squeaking is horrid, and it binds up and jerks the whole front end.

another thing is when greasing becareful not to snap the grease fitting off. I dono how hard it is to break it, but my friend broke the fitting on his. he is kinda a tool.