PDA

View Full Version : why Race cut?

korniev
01-18-2006, 12:56 PM
So guys could somebody REALLY explain to me what is the idea of cutting off your fenders. I heard it gives you much better control in the air.
I am not sure about that, all I know is that it give your quad a much better agressive look and makes the rider twice dirty.
Whats your opinion???

jiffers
01-18-2006, 01:07 PM
well my answer may sound stupid but it's how i see it
when racing you can see where your front wheels are and which way they are pointing but when you are going into the first corner with a load of other bikes it's nice to be able to see your front wheels

korniev
01-18-2006, 01:12 PM
Ye!! That souns like a good idea!! Do some of you know whether or not it helps with jumps???

hondaracer31
01-18-2006, 01:33 PM
On the new 450's it doesn't do much, the fenders don't catch much air. On my 400ex with full fenders, you couldn't keep the front end down when doing big jumps. With cut fenders I have much better control.

rollie
01-18-2006, 03:33 PM
i like the way it looks, i can see more, IMO it makes the quad feel much bigger

huffdaddy_400EX
01-18-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by rollie
i like the way it looks, i can see more, IMO it makes the quad feel much bigger

Looks does better on some quads but try to go through a nice mud hole or water hazard with race cuts on....instead of all the gunk ending up on the fenders it all ends up on you. :grr:

Rip_Tear
01-18-2006, 05:56 PM
The only real noticable thing it does it make it look better. I've never had problems figuring out where my tires were, or control in the air with full fenders. I haven't ridden much with "race" cut fenders so I can't really say I've noticed a difference.

Eddiesanders250
01-18-2006, 06:13 PM
It makes it look better..............

300ex_#387
01-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Really, with the race cuts I dont get to much muddier while riding. The times that it gets me muddier is when i take a turn, thats when it flings the mud on you. IMO its worth it it makes it look a ton better, but if your just a straight trails guy....just leave your fenders.

NacsMXer
01-18-2006, 06:30 PM
I did it for mostly for looks. Since I primarily ride MX, race cutting both my front and rear fenders made them much more rigid, less floppy on the bumps and jumps, and less prone to cracking. You have a lesser chance of the quad being influenced in the air by sudden wind gusts as well.

hondaracer31
01-18-2006, 06:32 PM
If I only rode trails, I would leave the fenders alone. But I only ride MX and on big (meaning 80' +)jumps it makes a huge difference.

korniev
01-18-2006, 11:25 PM
So you are saying it makes a huge differance in the air. Do you mean it is easier to whip it for example
?????

hondaracer31
01-19-2006, 05:40 AM
Well,maybe I just don't know how to ride, but....With full fenders, when doing big jumps, the front end was always too high. And no matter what I did, wieght transfer(push down on handlebars), Hit the back brakes, hit the front brakes(I know, I know. But has anyone actually tried it?)I couldn't get it to come down.
Now, with race cut fenders, I have TOTAL control of the quad in the air. Which is good, because, I prefer to land front wheels first on the downside, it's much faster.
Now, before all you kids tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm 38 years old, 250#(I know, anyone that big can't jump) and do "A" class jumps. Anyone who has seen me ride can attest to that.

spent21
01-19-2006, 07:15 AM
race cut fenders don't cake up with mud. if you go out with full fenders, get a good coat of mud on them, then go hit some tremendous jump and you'll crack them. not to mention how all the extra weight of the mud effects handling.

cb450r
01-19-2006, 07:53 AM
Another thing to think about.
For those who are widened out for MX racing your stock fenders are pretty much useless anyway because of your width:ermm:
It is a much cleaner look if done right IMO.

bud660r
01-20-2006, 07:07 AM
it really helps when you jump. i took the fender all the way off of my raptor and it flew through the air like a bird.

so yes race cut helps with air flow and air drag.

Roscopikotrain
01-20-2006, 10:52 AM
I cut my 400ex fronts fenders down, just for looks.
Im thinking about cutting wings on them so I can fly....
I really dont think that cutting your front fenders will make that big of deal when your in the air. a big wind gust....come on, who jumps their quad into a tornado.
I do agree that I can see my front wheels better and avoid rocks
and ruts. if its wet, i get muddy as soon as i go forward.

Dave

#8red
01-20-2006, 01:46 PM
yeah - theres just somethin' about seein' your front wheels - now if I ride a bike w/ front fenders intact it's real real weird

bud660r
01-20-2006, 06:17 PM
try it some time jump with the fenders on then take them off you will see a change BIRD MAN:D

ninis470
01-20-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
Really, with the race cuts I dont get to much muddier while riding. The times that it gets me muddier is when i take a turn, thats when it flings the mud on you. IMO its worth it it makes it look a ton better, but if your just a straight trails guy....just leave your fenders.

i have some turf tamers that i need to sell. i also have some grooved front tires. let me know if you interested....

TheFontMaster
01-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Like someone else said, if you have wider a arms, the tires are gonna be wider than the fenders, and your still going to get just as muddy. They also look better. I like how the quad feels with race cut fenders too, I have more room, my knees aren't hitting the fenders, and I like to be able to see my tires and front suspension. It really helps in rocks, and tecnical sections where you need to go slow and watch where you are going.

dirtrider_301
01-21-2006, 03:22 PM
Race cuts are for MX only. It cuts down on the air it catches but also more importantly holds less mud. The amount of mud that will accumulate under the fenders weigh alot. Hence shaving the fronts. If you ride anything but MX or just play ride keep them original.

dirtrider_301
01-21-2006, 03:22 PM
Race cuts are for MX only. It cuts down on the air it catches but also more importantly holds less mud. The amount of mud that will accumulate under the fenders weigh alot. Hence shaving the fronts. If you ride anything but MX or just play ride keep them original.

Mxjunkie
01-21-2006, 04:07 PM
I hated racecuts on my banshee I got fuggin covered every time I rode, the quad got covered, I allways got **** shot up into my helmet. to be honest I ride faster with fulls

400exracer511
01-23-2006, 07:10 PM
the biggest thing i like about having race cut is it helps me see landings, after having race cut, when i ride a quad with full fenders i feel like im blind when im in the air. Just my opinion

01-24-2006, 10:53 AM
your pushing air if u dont have cut plastic. and if u cut it u can see your tires and feel more n control. and mud colects under the plastik and can add alot of weight. and looks good cut

#8red
01-24-2006, 11:51 AM
at the works race last year (muddy as he!!) I learned a trick for the mud - try spraying wd40 on the underside of yer' rear plastics - I hardley had any accumulation at all - works great!!

quaddy87
01-24-2006, 01:38 PM
i'd definately go race cut.... For one if ur racing mx, when ur fenders get really muddy and u jump its going to put alot of force on the fenders and likely crack. I dont think u get much mudier especially if u have + 2 a-arms, the mud flies right by u cept when ur turning...it looks alot cooler too!