PDA

View Full Version : broken crankcase oil bolt!

oh34
01-18-2006, 12:41 PM
something is rong with my torque wrench and the bolt broke off at the threads....i rode for 5 minutes then noticed oil, so i think the vibrations along witht the way the flywheel spins caused the threaded part to turn all the way in falling inside...uggestions adn not to harsh comments appretiated

NacsMXer
01-18-2006, 01:03 PM
It is possible that the threaded piece vibrated into the crankcase, but what exactly makes you think that it did and didn't just fall out the other way?

I really wouldn't have ridden the quad after you snapped the head off the bolt, you may have shot yourself in the foot on that one. Could have easily just drilled a hole and extracted the piece with an easy-out no problem.

If you honestly think it went inside the crankcase, then i'm sorry to say that you'll have to split your cases to get it out :ermm: A chunk of metal that size can rain hell on your transmission.

Good luck with the diagnosis..

oh34
01-18-2006, 01:51 PM
i really hope its sitting quietly in a puddle of oil...im pretty ure i would have heard any dammage occuring..

NacsMXer
01-18-2006, 01:57 PM
I was going to say that too. You could just get a new bolt and ride it to see if you hear anything funny, but that would be at the risk of crunching that piece in between something if it is indeed still in there.

It's really sort of a quandry, so at this point I would say replace that bolt, top off the oil, and run it. Might as well just do that because if you start hearing some bad noises, you know the piece is still in there and you're going to have to tear it open to find the piece. If it did cause damage, then you will be able to repair it while it's already taken apart.

It's either that, or not run it at all, and tear it apart to look. That would seriously suck if there was nothing in there though :p

01-18-2006, 02:38 PM
why not just take the cover off and tip the motor up and see if it comes out, mabie flush the bottom of the engine out with somthin. cover takes 10 min to get off. just get a new torque wrech befor you put it back together.

NacsMXer
01-18-2006, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by mittimj
why not just take the cover off and tip the motor up and see if it comes out, mabie flush the bottom of the engine out with somthin. cover takes 10 min to get off. just get a new torque wrech befor you put it back together.

What cover are you talking about? The top valve cover? Pulling that off and inverting the motor might not do any good because that crankcase drain is on the left side of the motor and the only passage down to the crankcase is the timing chain passageway which is on the right side of the motor by the clutch. I'd say it's worth a shot like you said, but it may be unlikely that such a large threaded piece of metal would make it to the opposite side of the motor with all the internals in the way :ermm:

01-18-2006, 09:07 PM
no the clutch cover. it is like 10 bolts, comes off easy. just make shure you get a gasket first. putting it on can be tricky, make shure you get a good look at how the clutch thing is set up. with the little spring in there, can be tricky, tricked me up....

01-18-2006, 09:08 PM
ohh that bolt...

thot you where talking about the level check bolt...

take the other side cover off. that one is event easier. just make shrue not to pull on the wires.

oh34
01-19-2006, 10:56 AM
thanks for all the replies...my gasket it is in the mail along with a titanium hardware set...these forums rock my socks