PDA

View Full Version : crf450 hybrid tranny

ninis470
01-18-2006, 12:49 AM
i have a question. do any of you guys who havehybrid crf's know if the transmission of a crf450x will bolt right up to the crf450r? i have a hybrid but i run out of gear's. great bike. was fun to build.thanks in advance...

and let's see some of those hybrids...

QuadRacer041
01-18-2006, 04:52 AM
i think they will fit right in, if i remember the cases are the same just internals are differnt.
try www.servicehonda.com or www.thumpertalk.com

ninis470
01-18-2006, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by QuadRacer041
i think they will fit right in, if i remember the cases are the same just internals are differnt.
try www.servicehonda.com or www.thumpertalk.com

thank you. how do you like your hybri. are you running lights on it. if so what stator are you using???

QuadRacer041
01-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by ninis470
thank you. how do you like your hybri. are you running lights on it. if so what stator are you using???

no lights i use it for mx but unless you run higher then stock wattage you should be fine with your stator.
you can try
www.trailtech.net for lights

deathman53
01-18-2006, 03:43 PM
I have one, I use 13/37 sprockets and I don't run out of gear, on a big mx track, yes I could run out of gear, but I mostly ride on tight mx tracks. I don't race, so I don't care. if you runout of gear, put on a 14t front or maybe a 36t rear. the crf450r motor was never dseigned for atv use, nor was designed for high speed straight aways, I doubt many guys the ride mx on them ever see 5th gear, some of your mx bikes now are 4 speeds, I had a husky tc610 that was a 4 speed. If you gear it, you should solve the problems. Baja designs sells a tranny for them, it gives the bike a lower 1st and a higher 4th and 5th, the dual sport and enduro guys used to use them.

ninis470
01-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
I have one, I use 13/37 sprockets and I don't run out of gear, on a big mx track, yes I could run out of gear, but I mostly ride on tight mx tracks. I don't race, so I don't care. if you runout of gear, put on a 14t front or maybe a 36t rear. the crf450r motor was never dseigned for atv use, nor was designed for high speed straight aways, I doubt many guys the ride mx on them ever see 5th gear, some of your mx bikes now are 4 speeds, I had a husky tc610 that was a 4 speed. If you gear it, you should solve the problems. Baja designs sells a tranny for them, it gives the bike a lower 1st and a higher 4th and 5th, the dual sport and enduro guys used to use them.

i'm running a 13/38. i'm not racing at all. just dunning. but with the crowd i ride with, you might as well call it racing. we play follow the leader and it get's very fast at times. i have a friend that installed a wide gear ration in his. he was telling me that i would need to install one. that's why i was asking about the 450x. cause this way i don't have to spend an arm and a leg for it...

deathman53
01-18-2006, 07:43 PM
wow its cost $900, why not try a bigger front sprocket first and see if that cures the problem, or makes it alitttle bit better. If you lose some bottom end, well,its alot better than spending $900 plus a complete engine rebuild. If you get a 36t rear sprocket, it will cost you about $50 and will be some improvement, if its not enough, get a 14t front, sure its not as good as the wide ratio tranny, but $80 verese $900+. Also think about this, how much would a 450x tranny cost, if it did fit? more than $900, I bet. Do the simple things first, if you don't like it, you are out some money, and you live with it. When you redo your motor, then get the tranny kit.

ninis470
01-19-2006, 01:40 AM
wow its cost $900, why not try a bigger front sprocket first and see if that cures the problem, or makes it alitttle bit better. If you lose some bottom end, well,its alot better than spending $900 plus a complete engine rebuild. If you get a 36t rear sprocket, it will cost you about $50 and will be some improvement, if its not enough, get a 14t front, sure its not as good as the wide ratio tranny, but $80 verese $900+. Also think about this, how much would a 450x tranny cost, if it did fit? more than $900, I bet. Do the simple things first, if you don't like it, you are out some money, and you live with it. When you redo your motor, then get the tranny kit.

actually i was just going to replace the gears if they fit as exact replacements. but that's just my thinking... my bike feels a little tall. but i 'm still going to run it the way it is right now. maybe when it get's later on next year maybe i'll try it. but for now i think that it will work. most of the time while we're dunning third and fourth do just fine on my 426. on this one i think that 3rd will work just fine. the power band on this motor is incredible. dsa they're awsome. they did the port and installed the cam on this crf...

deathman53
01-19-2006, 06:55 PM
my crf is ported and has a 488 kit, the stock cam is about the best out there for mx, I also have a tc shorty.

ninis470
01-19-2006, 08:26 PM
my crf is ported and has a 488 kit, the stock cam is about the best out there for mx, I also have a tc shorty.

how do you like the shorty vs. a regular exhaust. is it much louder? also i'm running a web cam on mine. i went with the stock piston so i could run pump gas. but i might start running aviation fuel mixed with marvel mystery oil. a frind of mine run's that and he loves it... my biggest fear is that my stator is going to sscrew the performance on this quad...

QuadRacer041
01-20-2006, 09:33 AM
heres mine

QuadRacer041
01-20-2006, 09:35 AM
another

ninis470
01-20-2006, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by QuadRacer041
another

nice quad. i'd post a pic of mine but i can't figure out how to shrink the pics to get them to fit... have any of you guys tried to add an oil cooler to the crf hybrids??

dangle
01-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Seems like it would be easier to play with gearing instead of the actual gears:confused: ....
BTW: I hate my tc exhaust... loud and sounds poo-poo... I don't know if I got a diff. model or what but all it is is a hollowed out/chopped supertrapp...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/zombiequad111/1.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/zombiequad111/3.jpg

I'm currently re-doing it.. new topend, custom exhaust, tires, white fullbores and quad tech seat...

Mike

ninis470
01-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by dangle
Seems like it would be easier to play with gearing instead of the actual gears:confused: ....
BTW: I hate my tc exhaust... loud and sounds poo-poo... I don't know if I got a diff. model or what but all it is is a hollowed out/chopped supertrapp...

I'm currently re-doing it.. new topend, custom exhaust, tires, white fullbores and quad tech seat...

Mike

i'm using a white bros. r4. i like it. it's loud. how loud, i don't have a clue... i'm going to run this thing for now the way it sits. if later i want more top end. well then i might have to get a wide ratio gear kit...

ninis470
01-20-2006, 06:53 PM
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/august42470@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=9b86&.dnm=5a9escd.jpg

dangle
01-20-2006, 06:55 PM
i'm using a white bros. r4. i like it. it's loud. how loud, i don't have a clue... i'm going to run this thing for now the way it sits. if later i want more top end. well then i might have to get a wide ratio gear kit...

How are you running the white bros?... any modifying?... You can seriously hear my quad for 2miles...

Mike

ninis470
01-20-2006, 06:56 PM
here ya go

dangle
01-20-2006, 07:01 PM
I got those same front tires/wheels layin in the garage.... We also have the same shocks and frame color:eek2: ... You know anybody that wants a tc I'll sell it for dirt...

Mike

dangle
01-20-2006, 07:04 PM
it'sw for a crf 450. i use'd a fmf power bomb trx450 header and they mated..

Well.. I've never heard of that approach but sounds good to me:devil: ....

Mike

ninis470
01-20-2006, 07:11 PM

Mike
here ya go

ninis470
01-20-2006, 07:12 PM

Mike

ninis470
01-20-2006, 07:14 PM

ninis470
01-20-2006, 07:20 PM

Mike

what jetting did you use on it

ninis470
01-20-2006, 07:21 PM
I got those same front tires/wheels layin in the garage.... We also have the same shocks and frame color:eek2: ... You know anybody that wants a tc I'll sell it for dirt...

Mike
tc shocks? fron or rear?

dangle
01-20-2006, 07:22 PM
That looks like it fits great:eek2: ... That's on a EX geometry frame right? I wonder if any other slipon would work...

After closer look those are tcs shocks... i've been up for too long lol... I'm running axis... I bought this bike with the tc on it.. I've got the bike all tore apart now so I can check if you need it...

Mike

deathman53
01-20-2006, 07:34 PM
the bike has alot of low end, it quite loud. I got it because at the time it was the only one I could get in a 2 week range. I had to order it unwelded so it could be fit on my lsr frame. about 1 1/2 months before I was going to florida, I got landed on and it took out the exhaust, I waited for curtis sparks to build one, I waited 1 month and they didn't even get started, I called TC and he had one in stock that he didn't weld , so he sold me a unwelded one, because the aftermarket no-link frames can be wuite weird with pipe fitment. It was completeed 2 nights before the trip to florida, more bad luck followed me to florida, chain came off and went into the motor, long story short, I bought a crf450r dirtbike, took the motor out and transplanted, so far so good with the bike.

ninis470
01-20-2006, 07:45 PM
That looks like it fits great:eek2: ... That's on a EX geometry frame right? I wonder if any other slipon would work...

After closer look those are tcs shocks... i've been up for too long lol... I'm running axis... I bought this bike with the tc on it.. I've got the bike all tore apart now so I can check if you need it...

Mike

i'm runnig axis on the fron and a tcs in the rear. just to let you guys in on a secret. i bought this bike (in peices that is) on ebay. i got what i could get and made it all work together. what didn't work is still sitting on a shelf in my storage cubbard. one day i got a wild hair anf six months later it's blue and gray. i know ablsolutly nothing about quads. just got into it about almost 2 years ago...

ninis470
01-20-2006, 07:46 PM
the bike has alot of low end, it quite loud. I got it because at the time it was the only one I could get in a 2 week range. I had to order it unwelded so it could be fit on my lsr frame. about 1 1/2 months before I was going to florida, I got landed on and it took out the exhaust, I waited for curtis sparks to build one, I waited 1 month and they didn't even get started, I called TC and he had one in stock that he didn't weld , so he sold me a unwelded one, because the aftermarket no-link frames can be wuite weird with pipe fitment. It was completeed 2 nights before the trip to florida, more bad luck followed me to florida, chain came off and went into the motor, long story short, I bought a crf450r dirtbike, took the motor out and transplanted, so far so good with the bike.

man that's some bad luck. out here in california there's no mx racing that i know of. also i'm scared of jumping. i'm 35 and never really did any of this before. :confused:

dangle
01-20-2006, 08:00 PM
man that's some bad luck. out here in california there's no mx racing that i know of. also i'm scared of jumping. i'm 35 and never really did any of this before. :confused:

Cali should be crawling with tracks:confused: .... I guess when you get into something.... you don't mess around when You get into something do you lol... full blown mx hybrid is more than hobby...

Mike

ninis470
01-20-2006, 08:07 PM
Cali should be crawling with tracks:confused: .... I guess when you get into something.... you don't mess around when You get into something do you lol... full blown mx hybrid is more than hobby...

Mike

i'm finding that out. i'm really only going to use this quad for dunning. i ride with a good group of guys who love the sand. i't's alot of fun. i think that we don't ride as much as i would like too. my son love's working on these. i've spent more time with him cause of the quads. i love it.

dangle
01-20-2006, 08:27 PM
i'm finding that out. i'm really only going to use this quad for dunning. i ride with a good group of guys who love the sand. i't's alot of fun. i think that we don't ride as much as i would like too. my son love's working on these. i've spent more time with him cause of the quads. i love it.

Doesn't get much more american than a family dune trip...

Mike

ninis470
01-20-2006, 08:42 PM
Doesn't get much more american than a family dune trip...

Mike
10/4... hey are you going to st anthony's father's day... i hear a bunch of people from this web site are going...

dangle
01-20-2006, 09:04 PM
10/4... hey are you going to st anthony's father's day... i hear a bunch of people from this web site are going...

St. anthony's is a grip away from me... Think something like 24 hours:( .... I'd like to go.. but not that bad...

Mike

ninis470
01-20-2006, 09:11 PM
St. anthony's is a grip away from me... Think something like 24 hours:( .... I'd like to go.. but not that bad...

Mike

14 for me. i'm going to have to teach my girlfriend how to pull a trailer so i can get some sleep. i'mn going to try and make it there for father's day. i hope...