PDA

View Full Version : 06' 450er carb issues

Lil90man!!
01-17-2006, 11:32 PM
Ok I've read quite a few people post about the hesistation problem with the new 06's. I went and picked mine up tonight and sure enough it does it. If you nail the throttle below about 3/4 throttle it bogs really bad then takes off like a rocket, kinda annoying considering i just spent over 6 grand on something that doesn't run right. Does anyone know the actual cause of this, i've heard up you pilot do this do that, but has anyone actually narrowed it down to what is ACTUALLY wrong other than i did all this stuff and it went away, as i'm not a big fan of tearing open the carb on a bike that's got less than 10 hours on it:P, i tried taking the baffles out of the exhaust and it seemed to do better, and alot of people say removing the air box lid helps too, but i race xc and no lid isn't a good idea for me. i'm going to the local honda dealership to see what they will do about it tommorow, but i've been there enough to know there probably gonna tell me its fine just ride it, they don't like working on anything. I even commented about it when i test rode it and the mechanic there assured me it was just bad gas. And i was just wondereing if anyone has figured out what is wrong with it, or gotten the dealership to fix it? sorry if it sounds like i'm ranting, its just the most annoying thing ever to buy a brand new bike and have it not run right.. thanks for any help!
Ben

ps. other than that THIS THINGS AWESOME!! lol:P

Jersey450R
01-18-2006, 05:26 AM
Should of bought an 05 dude, sorry.

nah, just playin, I've been hearing alot about this and the Boysen quick shot is almost a guaranteed fix for the 06' carb problem.

KRMit
01-18-2006, 07:03 AM
I think the HRC kit has removed that bog from mine. It may just be that the accelerator pump needs opened up some.

zakk54
01-18-2006, 08:10 AM
If you mean you cant stab the throttle from Idle, that is a Very Normal thing with the FCR Carbs!! I too thought I had an issue with my 04 YFZ and also a 04 450r that we put a FCR Carb on until I was educated by a motor guru on this subject!! You have to learn to roll the throttle on or keep the bike revved, somewhat like a 2 stroke! There is nothing wrong with your bike... Now if you have changed anything (Air Box lid off, Baffle out of the Exhaust, exc...) that may have a little effect on the jetting but you'll have to dial that in through trial and error.. Also, on my YFZ and the 450r we always run the Idle up a little higher!! This aids a ton especially during hole shots and tight cornering... Hope this helps!! If you need to, compare your bike to another that has a FCR Carb and you'll see what I mean! It is still BY FAR the best Carb for the bike!!! If you read the Interview with Doug Gust on the front page of this site about the new LTR-450 he mirrors what I'm saying here... The difference between Fuel injection and Carb through the whoops and Throttle Response, exc...

Mike B

eagertorace
01-18-2006, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
Should of bought an 05 dude, sorry.

nah, just playin, I've been hearing alot about this and the Boysen quick shot is almost a guaranteed fix for the 06' carb problem.

sorry the quickshot will not fix his problem, been there done that.
the hrc kit comes with leak jets, acc. pump tool and a different needle and etc. Hope he gets it worked out. btw, the hrc kit fixed all these problems.

Colby@C&DRacing
01-18-2006, 08:16 AM
The fcr carb will always have a bog if you rev it fast in nuetral, the bog can be fixed so this does not happen while riding. This is a jetting, fuel screw, pilot, accelerator pump issue. With the proper adjustment the bog will be gone. every atv, every situation is different.

Colby@C&DRacing
01-18-2006, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by eagertorace
sorry the quickshot will not fix his problem, been there done that.
the hrc kit comes with leak jets, acc. pump tool and a different needle and etc. Hope he gets it worked out. btw, the hrc kit fixed all these problems.

our 06 doesn't have the hrc kit and we adjusted the bog with out the hrc kit

eagertorace
01-18-2006, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by zakk54
If you mean you cant stab the throttle from Idle, that is a Very Normal thing with the FCR Carbs!! I too thought I had an issue with my 04 YFZ and also a 04 450r that we put a FCR Carb on until I was educated by a motor guru on this subject!! You have to learn to roll the throttle on or keep the bike revved, somewhat like a 2 stroke! There is nothing wrong with your bike... Now if you have changed anything (Air Box lid off, Baffle out of the Exhaust, exc...) that may have a little effect on the jetting but you'll have to dial that in through trial and error.. Also, on my YFZ and the 450r we always run the Idle up a little higher!! This aids a ton especially during hole shots and tight cornering... Hope this helps!! If you need to, compare your bike to another that has a FCR Carb and you'll see what I mean! It is still BY FAR the best Carb for the bike!!! If you read the Interview with Doug Gust on the front page of this site about the new LTR-450 he mirrors what I'm saying here... The difference between Fuel injection and Carb through the whoops and Throttle Response, exc...

Mike B

the bog shouldn't be there when moving at all and his does. Mine was the same way until the hrc kit was installed.
simple fix I think; 55 leak jet and hrc needle.

eagertorace
01-18-2006, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
our 06 doesn't have the hrc kit and we adjusted the bog with out the hrc kit

please post what you did then

Colby@C&DRacing
01-18-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by eagertorace
the bog shouldn't be there when moving at all and his does. Mine was the same way until the hrc kit was installed.
simple fix I think; 55 leak jet and hrc needle.

your correct the bog shouldn't be there when moving if properly jetted. but the 450r is lean from the factory to meet epa emmisions (sp) the problem is that the pilot and needle are lean enough but they restrict the accelerator pump circuit more. Like I said every atv with the fcr carb is different. I fixed mine with a bigger pilot and a quickshot. MY suggestion would be to start with the leakjet it is less expensive. Bog or no Bog the quickshot will have better throttle response and perform better in the mid range from idle to 3/4 throttle than the factory accelerator pump cover.

Prey
01-18-2006, 08:56 AM
what is the purpose/effect of reducing the leak jet size like the hrc kit does..............

Colby@C&DRacing
01-18-2006, 09:00 AM
it allows the accelerator pump chamber to build pressure quicker so that it can provide a shot of fuel sooner.

KRMit
01-18-2006, 10:32 AM
it allows the accelerator pump chamber to build pressure quicker so that it can provide a shot of fuel sooner.
So that's why the HRC kit comes with a smaller jet for that.

400excracer
01-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Colby,

Will a jet kit combined with the Quickshot solve the problem?

Prey
01-18-2006, 12:11 PM

C&D, like you i have the quickshot installed.......... (and bear with me cause i might be dumb/wrong) essentially i thought the quickshot effect was the same, to optimize pressure for a better squirt from the AP??

if i am right with my statement above and IYO, with the bike mod'd (HRC kit, sparks exhaust, sparks filter) does it make sense to leave the #55 leak in or can i/does it make sense to go higher on the leak being that the quickshot is improving the AP shot??

Colby@C&DRacing
01-18-2006, 12:28 PM
I feel you will see the most benefit from running the quick shot along with the 55 leak jet. The quick shot builds faster pressure by eliminating the air pocket in the pump chamber, if there is not any air to compress you will build fuel pressure instantly thus supplying a pump shot with the smallest of throttle movement. By changing the leak jet you will also be able to tune the pump shot, honda uses a 55 but you can get alot of different sizes by changing the leak jet you can fine tune the carb for your needs

QuadRacer041
01-18-2006, 03:13 PM
you guys need to do a search, this topic has been discussed a sh1t load of times already and like zakk54 and c&d this is a common thing with the fcr and can be easily fixed but some tweaking.

Dave400ex
01-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Good info Colby.

On another subject, have you found any fixes to the slow starting/not being able to give it gas when your starting it issues?