PDA

View Full Version : atvs and dirtbikes

sdstevens22
01-17-2006, 07:43 PM
to those who have or have ridden both atv's and dirtbikes. what are the major differences in trail riding and jumping and just riding? i used to have a four wheeler and ride them all the time but dirtbikes are alot cheaper and i am considering a dirtbike as an option , what are your guy's opinions on this?

ZeroLogic
01-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Dirtbikes are fast cheap fun but hard to ride and you can't go everywhere on them.

Quads are fast expensive and really fun easy to ride and you can do anything with them.

Stick with a quad if you got the money.IMO

LT250Racer609
01-17-2006, 10:05 PM
i would say quads are easier to ride then a dirtbike to a certain extent....its by far harder to do a 120 foot jump on a quad then it is to do on a dirtbike

Not to mention when you crash a dirtbike 95% of the time its no longer in your way...when you crash a quad 95% of the time it IS in your way...quads follow you bikes dont

if your thinking about just riding around the house and having a good time i would deff. say a quad but if you wanna do MX a dirtbike is less critical then a quad is

Dave83
01-17-2006, 10:11 PM
IMO quads turn easier,bikes jump easier.Whoops are easier on bigger bikes.There is still that "I feel safer with 4 wheels" thing that I cant get passed.4 for me anyday

BLACKeR
01-18-2006, 05:13 AM
bikes are cheap power that comes with good suspention. but they kinda suck for just tooling around. you can get a bike almost anywhere, but there difficult to ride if its wet or sloppy out. you have to pay attention more on a bike. you cant just dump it out of a corner or youll be on your backside, and the rough stuff is very difficult at low speed. they are king at the MX track though.

wilkin250r
01-18-2006, 08:43 AM
Quads are easier to putz around on, and slow trail riding.

Bikes are easier to go fast, ride aggressively, and jump.

Honestly, it's kinda like a tricycle vs a bicycle. Quads are easier for beginners to learn on and ride, but once you advance beyond the beginner stage, you can do more on a dirtbike.

Eddiesanders250
01-18-2006, 11:21 AM
i pretty much only ride sand so a quad is the only way for me. dirt bikes are hard to ride in the sand

TheFontMaster
01-18-2006, 11:23 AM
I think it's just all personal prefference. You can be just as fast on ether a bike or quad on the MX track. At Unadilla this past summer, the pro quads were 10-20 seconds faster on the track than the the pro dirt bike riders were. It's really mostly personal prefference.

LT250Racer609
01-18-2006, 11:45 AM
they were only between 3 and 5 seconds of a difference at unadilla....

TheFontMaster
01-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by LT250Racer609
they were only between 3 and 5 seconds of a difference at unadilla....

I could have sworn it was more than that:confused: Were u there for that race, I see ya live in NY too.

EDIT: I just saw your profile, I plan on racing D3 c class this year.

LT250Racer609
01-18-2006, 12:05 PM
yah i was there...i would have been racing there too if i didnt have a broken wrist at the time....your gonna be running quad novice this year in D 3?

you can IM me online if you wanna talk to me more about district 3 and stuff....sxryder46

outlaw#9
01-18-2006, 02:57 PM
I was at that National also .. 3 to 5 is right . i got me a 3rd over all in the 30+ class with my 250r ! :D

sdstevens22
01-20-2006, 09:27 PM
so right now taking value into consideration like what you get for your money what do you guys think is the best way to go?

elchankoblanko
01-21-2006, 07:28 PM
I love ridin dirtbikes and quads the same but the reason i went with quads is because everyone and his brother races bikes so its kinds cool to be a little unique out on the track.

LT250Racer609
01-22-2006, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by elchankoblanko
I love ridin dirtbikes and quads the same but the reason i went with quads is because everyone and his brother races bikes so its kinds cool to be a little unique out on the track.

yup i totally agree...thats one of the reasons why i went with it too...my sister even rides a dirtbike....

most of the people i talk to that even ride/race dirtbikes say that they enjoy watching quads race more...its really just an opinion but personally i find quads way more entertaing myself too...