PDA

View Full Version : New owner/rider have ?'s

NVRDUN
01-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Hi all, just purchased a 2003 Predator and I have a quick question. My buddy has a Honda 450 and told me today that I only need to use the clutch when shifting out of first. After that just shift away. I looked through the owners manual and did not find anything to confirm what he told me. Any truth to this or should I call Mythbusters?

XCpred
01-17-2006, 06:09 PM
If your friend does that with his 450 it wont be long before he is going to have to rebuild his tranny. Never shift without using the clutch. That is one of the worst things you could do. Now you don't have to let off of the gas when you shift.

wolffie
01-17-2006, 07:02 PM
^^^^
what xc pred said! always use the clutch. some guys dont use it if they are just "puttsin" around, but bad habits form!hope this helps man!:D

XCpred
01-17-2006, 07:29 PM
Even if you are just puttin around it is bad for the tranny. Next thing you know you will have chunks of metal in your oil and lose in your motor and end up frying the crap out of something.

MAaudioX10
01-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by NVRDUN
Hi all, just purchased a 2003 Predator and I have a quick question. My buddy has a Honda 450 and told me today that I only need to use the clutch when shifting out of first. After that just shift away. I looked through the owners manual and did not find anything to confirm what he told me. Any truth to this or should I call Mythbusters?

You have 2 options, use that clutch and enjoy a great quad. Or, do not use that clutch and spend $1000+ rebuilding the transmission. An 03' Pred is not a good bike to go around powershifting.

NVRDUN
01-17-2006, 07:55 PM
Thanks all! Thats exactly what I was thinking, but it has been about 10yrs since I have ridden anything. I thought maybe things have changed. Not to worry the two times I have taken out the Predator I have used the clutch.