PDA

View Full Version : 250r motor

250rider1
01-17-2006, 03:44 PM
ok im not nearly as intelligent with 250rs as you guys are so im going to ask you. its an 88 with a fmf sst pipe and k+n filter, rejetted stock carb, and i had a mild port job done. other than that the 250 motor is stock. i want to BOLT ON more power because i just had the engine rebuilt and i dont want to have to break it open again. Im thinking about reeds and maybe a bigger carb or maybe even a cr ignition. im in the slow process of building it into a mx quad but dont have the money to dump a lot into it right now because i just turned 16 and im tryin to work on my truck a little bit but i want the machine to be able to hang with the new 450s. what would you guys do if you had about 500-600 bucks to spend. also how hard is it to change to a cr ignition and is it worth it? thanks

E-ATV-Racing
01-17-2006, 04:32 PM
First off The SSt pipe is not the best choise for MX racing, the Fatty would be a better pipe. Try to find someone that wants to make a trade.

You won't gain a lot of power from the CR Ignition but the lighter fly wheel might help. In my opinion this is something you should wait on.

A larger carb will reduce your throttle response but increase the HP slightly.

Not much power increase from reeds but you can improve the throttle response.

If you really want to increase your power then you need to look to the head or increasing your displacement. If you get the head milled and reshaped you can increase your power, however you may end up needing race gas depending on how high you raise the compression.

If you want to increase your displacement, I might be able to help. I have a CT 310 kit that i am looking to sell. I also have a 36mm PWK that I would also sell. I you want more details let me know

It take more than power to win an MX race. You may consider putting you money into the suspension set-up. If you are running a stock set-up there is a lot to be gained here.