PDA

View Full Version : Truck problems....SILVERADO

TCracin440ex
01-17-2006, 02:13 PM
well like the subject says my truck is having a problem...this thing is pissing me off so bad im ready to stick it in middle of a mine field and just blow the hell out of it....my brake lights WILL NOT work at all...i just replaced the bulbs in the 3rd lamp because i took it off today and they were blown i figured that could be causing the problem...well go to hit the brake pedal, and its a no go...the brake lights will still not light up...the tail lights itself will light up when you turn the switch on in the truck....but when you hit the brakes they will not illuminate...somebody please tell me whats wrong with this damn thing before i go ape shyt and blow this pos all to hell

450RGNCC
01-17-2006, 02:18 PM
what year is it?

Camaroguy87132
01-17-2006, 02:25 PM
go to fullsizechevy.com join and ask that same exact question under the technical section..I can guarentee you will get an answer in an hour..

duke416ex
01-17-2006, 02:28 PM
I had trouble with my brakes a couple months ago. First, I guess you already checked all the fuses. My problem was teh wiring harness on the brake pedal had some wires cut. It is a little agrevating to get to, but it is just right above the brake pedal over the bracket. Check that.

Guy400
01-17-2006, 02:28 PM
On the surface it sounds like the switch is bad.

TCracin440ex
01-17-2006, 02:32 PM
ive checked all the fuses and relays...i know for a fact that the ignition switch is bad but i dont think that has anything to do with the brakes...

Guy400
01-17-2006, 02:42 PM
Follow the brake pedal arm up underneath the dash. You'll see a small push-button switch. That actuates your brake lights.

Atkins
01-17-2006, 02:54 PM
I wish I could help you, but my dad's F-250 has never blown a brakelight, so Ive never had to go through it.

TCracin440ex
01-17-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
Follow the brake pedal arm up underneath the dash. You'll see a small push-button switch. That actuates your brake lights.

ill go check in a lil while bout that...if it is then imma fuggin steal the switch off my moms tahoe...

duke416ex
01-17-2006, 03:04 PM
The switch is like 6 or 8 bucks if that's what it is. I put one on mine befor eI found the wires. Just check the wires when you pull the switch off, or check them before you pull it off.

KoolKwad400
01-17-2006, 03:07 PM
I have a 99 Silverado and would like to park it right next to yours when you blow it up.

If it is a newer model, you have 2 fuse panels that hold fuses for the brake lights. Check the owner's manual for locations. The brake lights run off a different fuse than the running lights. The first fuse panel is located on the left side of your dash, the other is under the hood behind the battery.

Most likely it is a fuse problem. The brake light switch is not common on newer trucks as it was on the older ones. When brake light switches are bad the lights usually won't shut off.

Look in the owner's manual and check the fuse labelled "Stop/Tail"

Good luck

Jerry

TCracin440ex
01-17-2006, 03:13 PM
this truck has just been probles on top of problems for me

first the motor went...had to get a new motor...then the new motor had a small intake manifold leak...nothing worth crying over....well then it turned into a big leak and the damn whole intake gasket blew, now ignition switch is bad, the hazzard lights dont work, the windshield wipers dont work like they are posta, the damn transmission is clicking, the fuel gauge dont work...the only thing im not really worried about with teh truck is the motor because it can throw a rod today and ill get a new motor to go in its palce tomorrow because i got a lifetime warrenty with the new motor we put in...no i take that back the first problem wont the motor....the first problem was fuel pump problems...the fuel pump would not turn on sometimes and if you wanted to get anywhere u had to get under the vehicle and reach up between the exhaust and driveshaft and wiggle the wires on the fuel pump...we fixed the fuel pump with a new pump and new wiring..then the motor problems came...

on one hand it would be cheaper for me to fix these problems and have a dependable truck...but im tired of fuggin with it and im ready to sell it and get another pickup

TCracin440ex
01-17-2006, 03:28 PM
ok i officially hate this mofo....i went and checked the brake switch like you said to do guy...i didnt see no switch at all....

koolkwad my truck is a 98 old body style...and i only got one fuse pannel under the hood and thats on the driver side near the fire wall....i looked at the diagram under the lid of the fuse box and i went to the one that says stop/hazzard(because my hazzards aint working either) and that fuse is fine...

TCracin440ex
01-17-2006, 03:34 PM
imma just keep driving it even with no tail lights til i either A get pulled over...im hoping soem idiot will rearend me and total the truck and ill sue for pain/suffering and get me a new 1 damnit...

bad as i hate to say this but.....::::GULP:::: my next truck might be a ford....i love chevrolet but this thing is a problem...

hell chevrolet wouldnt even honor the recall on my windshield wiper motor because it was a year newer then the year that was recalled...im liek wtf the 98s do it too...they said sorry sir only the 97's were recalled for the wiper motor....but you can pay to have your dealer fix it for you....pff like im going to eat the bill for something thats chevrolets fault....so now sometimes my wipers dont work....

underpowered
01-17-2006, 04:06 PM
same thing happened to mine. never figured it out, just ran a jumper wire to the switch from the fuse box. i had juice to the box but not out. the fuse was good so i just made it work. also my hazzards did not work when my brake light didnt work, fixed them and the hazzards work now too. Do your Turn signals work?

if you cant figure it out, do what camaroguy said and join Fullsizechevy.com and post it there. great site, very helpfull members.

Guy400
01-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Now that you say your hazards don't work either than that eliminates the switch. You've got some other electrical gremlin. Have you ever done a Carfax report on your VIN? You may find out this was an electrical nightmare from day one. I know when I was shopping for used vehicles for my wife I bought one of those 1 or 2 month unlimited Carfax deals. It was completely frightening what people and/or dealers were selling. I said forget it and bought my wife brand new instead.

Camaroguy87132
01-17-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
imma just keep driving it even with no tail lights til i either A get pulled over...im hoping soem idiot will rearend me and total the truck and ill sue for pain/suffering and get me a new 1 damnit...
well then just drive around and when you see someone behind ya just hit the brakes...

TCracin440ex
01-17-2006, 04:16 PM
the turn signals work....the parklamps work....but if you try to turn the hazzards on...the signal lights wont work

TCracin440ex
01-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
Now that you say your hazards don't work either than that eliminates the switch. You've got some other electrical gremlin. Have you ever done a Carfax report on your VIN? You may find out this was an electrical nightmare from day one. I know when I was shopping for used vehicles for my wife I bought one of those 1 or 2 month unlimited Carfax deals. It was completely frightening what people and/or dealers were selling. I said forget it and bought my wife brand new instead.

yep done that....the truck checks out clean....no accidents, nothing....before we bought it...it was used as a company vehicle...it was sold at auction to a dealer down here in appomattox, va...and we bought it from him in like 1999-2000 and have had it ever since....as a matter of a fact i have the carfax printout here in my desk drawer ive went over that thing with a fine tooth comb

250rider1
01-17-2006, 04:57 PM
heres the problem. its a chevy. sorry dude

AtvMxRider
01-17-2006, 04:59 PM
ok i officially hate this mofo....i went and checked the brake switch like you said to do guy...i didnt see no switch at all....

It has to have a brake light switch. Keep looking

TCracin440ex
01-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
It has to have a brake light switch. Keep looking

well now im higly doubting its a brake switch since the hazz lights wont work

AtvMxRider
01-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Do they flash or just come on and stay?

TCracin440ex
01-17-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by 250rider1
heres the problem. its a chevy. sorry dude

nah im doubting that is the problem with the truck...but i kno your problem...your a whistledick....if you didnt come here on my thread to offer advice...then dont flame

fast_enough
01-17-2006, 05:51 PM
nah im doubting that is the problem with the truck...but i kno your problem...your a whistledick....if you didnt come here on my thread to offer advice...then dont flame

amen, them ppl get on my nerves. My chevy is in the shop though, the computer keeps shorting out, and it wont let it stay in time. Talkin about aggravating

TCracin440ex
01-17-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Do they flash or just come on and stay?

they dont do nothin if you turn them on....

the haz. lights are just as dead as the brake lights....hell you could damn near shuv your foot thru the floor pan trying to get a brake light to show and youd have better luck trying to find a lepracon(sp) or a damn unicorn....cuz these brakelights/haz lights are dead

TCracin440ex
01-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by fast_enough
amen, them ppl get on my nerves. My chevy is in the shop though, the computer keeps shorting out, and it wont let it stay in time. Talkin about aggravating

your computer must have a virus......proally the trojan...LMGDAO!!

j/k man...but i do hate when your asking for help and they want to do something like say the problem is such and such when it has nothing 2 do with it

that would be like somebody who drives a ford saying....man my brake pads are wore out...and i said....well your problem is your driving a ford...thats a common problem...stuff is bound to break...

or when soembody is ridding a honda and has a problem with it and some yamaha owner says....well your ridding a honda thats your problem

TCracin440ex
01-17-2006, 06:04 PM
i have no idea what this problem can be...i think im going to take it to my grandpa tomorrow who is an electrician and let him tinker with it...because ive checked everything i kno to check...the bulbs are not blown, the fuses are not blown....if the one of the fuses were blown the ABS and/or the e-brake light would come on...anything that has something to do with brakes the abs or ebrake light will come on...

oh yea i also forgot to add....that when i turn on the park lights or headlights the buzzing noise dont come on anymore either when the key aint on or if the key is in the aux position

Tom TRX250R
01-17-2006, 08:27 PM
I have almost had the same problems with with my 98 Silverado with the 5.7L motor except having to replace the motor and wiper motor, though my friends 97's wipers didn't work. My brake lights weren't working about a year ago right before a trip to the dunes, I replaced the brake switch, its up underneath your steering wheel. And just a word of advice, it is a PAIN IN THE *****! to get to!!! It took me and a friend litterally 2 hours to do it just because your hands can barely fit in there and the little clip wouldn't pop off allowing it to release. After all that it ended up not being the brake switch! I took it to my local mechanic and found that it needed to be rewired due to some POS wired in the remote start/alarm wrong and had to run a new wire. Tell your grandpa to check the power running to the brake relay to see if you have power going to it. Is your fuel gauge working??? Mine quit working and I found the 98's are prone to stop, its the float on the fuel pump, you don't have to replace the entire fuel pump, its a $60 part but the bad thing is you have to pull the gas tank! Good luck man and keep us up to date on the brake lights!

TCracin440ex
01-17-2006, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Tom TRX250R
I have almost had the same problems with with my 98 Silverado with the 5.7L motor except having to replace the motor and wiper motor, though my friends 97's wipers didn't work. My brake lights weren't working about a year ago right before a trip to the dunes, I replaced the brake switch, its up underneath your steering wheel. And just a word of advice, it is a PAIN IN THE *****! to get to!!! It took me and a friend litterally 2 hours to do it just because your hands can barely fit in there and the little clip wouldn't pop off allowing it to release. After all that it ended up not being the brake switch! I took it to my local mechanic and found that it needed to be rewired due to some POS wired in the remote start/alarm wrong and had to run a new wire. Tell your grandpa to check the power running to the brake relay to see if you have power going to it. Is your fuel gauge working??? Mine quit working and I found the 98's are prone to stop, its the float on the fuel pump, you don't have to replace the entire fuel pump, its a $60 part but the bad thing is you have to pull the gas tank! Good luck man and keep us up to date on the brake lights!

yep the fuel gauge is shot too...i just keep track of my mileage with the trip-o...and ill be damned if ill ever drop that damn tank again ill just take the damn bed off before i take the tank out....last time i had pump problems me and a few buddys lifted the bed up and slid it back about a foot just enough for us to get to the fuel pump w/o having to drop the tank out...and before i rewire this whole damn thing ill sell it...

is your ignition switch bad too...these body style trucks are prone for ignition failure....the local shop told me that they have had SEVERAL old body style chevy pickups with this problem...

i want a 99-2002 silverado z71...i know if my truck goes....them 1000.00 wheels & tires are stayin with me and will go on my new truck

TacomaNC4X4
01-17-2006, 09:00 PM
www.fordtrucks.com

TCracin440ex
01-17-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by TacomaNC4X4
www.fordtrucks.com

your a whistledick too.....dont want no flamers on this thread....this was a thread to help me try to fig out wtf was wrong with my truck w/o some idiot saying...GET A FORD...or your problem is your driving a chevy

duke416ex
01-18-2006, 07:44 AM
Hey, that brake switch we were talking about is a little white square box, it is above a bracket that is under the dash. You should be able to follow the brake pedal up and then there is a rod coming off it that goes to the switch.

ballz2thewall
01-18-2006, 09:33 AM
Is there room in the mine feild for a 2004? Had mine two weeks and the traction pozzy took a dump. Sitting at a stop sign the other day and was doing 90 mph sitting, speedo took a poop now! I know how you feel!

KoolKwad400
01-18-2006, 09:56 AM
Not too sure what to tell you.....see if you got power on both sides of the fuse.....if no power on either side, the problem is somewhere between the pedal and the fusebox, I believe. It sound like you narrowed it down already, I'd go brake light switch. Don't really know how to change it, though, maybe you could get online help.

I hate to say it, dude, but maybe you oughta cut your losses now and get another ride.....:(

Sounds like the thing is an electrical nightmare, and that can get pretty expensive to fix. My 99 is in the shop right now, and the mechanic is having a hard time tracing down an electrical problem related to the fuel pump.

Piece of junk.

Going back to a Dodge as soon as I can!!!!

Jerry

duke416ex
01-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Going back to a Dodge as soon as I can!!!!

Jerry [/B]

03blownupex
01-18-2006, 10:15 AM

bad as i hate to say this but.....::::GULP:::: my next truck might be a ford....i love chevrolet but this thing is a problem...

hell chevrolet wouldnt even honor the recall on my windshield wiper motor because it was a year newer then the year that was recalled...im liek wtf the 98s do it too...they said sorry sir only the 97's were recalled for the wiper motor....but you can pay to have your dealer fix it for you....pff like im going to eat the bill for something thats chevrolets fault....so now sometimes my wipers dont work....

they wouldnt honor the recall on my dads truck either but we took a zip tie and pulled really tight and it has been working for a couple months.

TCracin440ex
01-18-2006, 12:05 PM
well koolkwad i was looking at a 99-2002 model (the bodystyle after mine) chevrolet silverado z71 5.3 ltr and found a 99 with 89k on it...its black and is clean as a whistle

popo
01-18-2006, 01:50 PM
...but i kno your problem...your a whistledick....if you didnt come here on my thread to offer advice...then dont flame

Ya.....way to tell the whistledick off.:D

TCracin440ex
01-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by popo
Ya.....way to tell the whistledick off.:D

thanks lol

KoolKwad400
01-18-2006, 02:33 PM
well koolkwad i was looking at a 99-2002 model (the bodystyle after mine) chevrolet silverado z71 5.3 ltr and found a 99 with 89k on it...its black and is clean as a whistle

Mine is a 99 X-Cab w/ 4.8L v-8, auto, third door, LS pkg (pwr windows, locks, cruise, tilt, air, all the other crap), bought it for just under $10K with 98K miles on it.
From what I am finding out, prone to electrical problems. My dash cluster crapped out, cost $450.00 to replace, the drivers side power window crapped out, cost $350.00 to fix, now the fuel pump crapped out, cost WILL BE.......about $425.00 to fix.

The truck is nice to drive, handles good, is comfortable, but not too durable.

I had a 97 Ram before this, and I loved the truck. It was a horse. I had very few problems with it. It got hit by a drunk driver 3 months ago and it was totalled.

The body shop I brought it to wound up buying the truck from me. The owner wanted to fix it for his kid as a birthday present. This is what it looks like now (just after it was painted). Almost wish I'd kept it.

Jerry

250rider1
01-18-2006, 03:33 PM
actually i got a toyota land cruiser that happens to be about as close as you can get to a tank and it has 140,000 miles on it and has never been in the shop for anything other than maintenance. im not rattin on chevys because i honestly love chevy muscle cars but lately there has been things on them that have prematurely worn out. my friends dad has had an 03 camaro and a 04 corvette that he has had fuses burn out after about 5000 miles. so dont start callin everybody whistledick and cryin.

TCracin440ex
01-18-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by 250rider1
actually i got a toyota land cruiser that happens to be about as close as you can get to a tank and it has 140,000 miles on it and has never been in the shop for anything other than maintenance. im not rattin on chevys because i honestly love chevy muscle cars but lately there has been things on them that have prematurely worn out. my friends dad has had an 03 camaro and a 04 corvette that he has had fuses burn out after about 5000 miles. so dont start callin everybody whistledick and cryin.

wow i guess your friends dad must feel special because hes the only one in the world with a 03 camaro

Rastus
01-18-2006, 05:33 PM
wow i guess your friends dad must feel special because hes the only one in the world with a 03 camaro

Haha. Where's the Owned smiley at when you need it. :D

I don't know what to tell you. Check to see if you've got power at the fuse and at the relay. When you put on the hazards, you should hear a clicking sound for the signal lights. If not, then you're not getting power to the relay or you aren't getting a switched power to actuate the relay. Yours may be different than mine, but I don't think it would differ that much. Where are your relays located at? Mine are under the dash on the driver side, all grouped together.

Have you tried checking the contacts in the fuse box? A good cleaning may help if you haven't.

You might also try looking at Chevytruckworld (http://www.chevytruckworld.com)
or
Fullsizechevy (http://www.fullsizechevy.com)
in the forum sections. I frequent both regularly, and if you don't find an answer outright you'll likely get an answer from one of the members.

Sorry for not much info, just trying to be of some help.

TCracin440ex
01-18-2006, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Rastus
Haha. Where's the Owned smiley at when you need it. :D

I don't know what to tell you. Check to see if you've got power at the fuse and at the relay. When you put on the hazards, you should hear a clicking sound for the signal lights. If not, then you're not getting power to the relay or you aren't getting a switched power to actuate the relay. Yours may be different than mine, but I don't think it would differ that much. Where are your relays located at? Mine are under the dash on the driver side, all grouped together.

Have you tried checking the contacts in the fuse box? A good cleaning may help if you haven't.

You might also try looking at Chevytruckworld (http://www.chevytruckworld.com)
or
Fullsizechevy (http://www.fullsizechevy.com)
in the forum sections. I frequent both regularly, and if you don't find an answer outright you'll likely get an answer from one of the members.

Sorry for not much info, just trying to be of some help.

any input is great....there is no clicking at all or anything when you hit the hazard lights, the contacts in the fuse box are clean...i dont think its a blown fuse or the brake switch because the abs/ebrake light would come on...

TacomaNC4X4
01-18-2006, 08:47 PM
you need to sell that thing and get you a ford, a f250 powerstroke. its a proven fact...the new chevys just dont hold up like the new fords. so do yourself a real favor and get rid of it before it causes more problems. when it comes to that electiacal stuff it could be anything. it could even be a loose ground somewhere or a short in the hardest to get to place. i dont know what to tell ya

TCracin440ex
01-18-2006, 09:19 PM
dude im not made of money...if i was to sell this truck flat out with everything i have on it id be lucky to get 11 out of it...so "selling it and getting a new truck" just aint the answer...i can probally fix the problems with this cheaper then what it would cost to get another 1...and if i do get another 1 it will be a chevrolet silverado....and the stereo type of the new chevrolets not lasting that long...thats a bs stereo type because every vehicle has its problems regardless...

i was talking to this one dude who had a brand new ford pick up f-150 and his rear or front suspension broke on it and he had never wheeled it or anything...for no reason

besides one thing i kno for a fact...a chevrolet is cheaper to work on then a ford by far...

86350x
01-18-2006, 10:14 PM
this truck has just been probles on top of problems for me

first the motor went...had to get a new motor...then the new motor had a small intake manifold leak...nothing worth crying over....well then it turned into a big leak and the damn whole intake gasket blew, now ignition switch is bad, the hazzard lights dont work, the windshield wipers dont work like they are posta, the damn transmission is clicking, the fuel gauge dont work...the only thing im not really worried about with teh truck is the motor because it can throw a rod today and ill get a new motor to go in its palce tomorrow because i got a lifetime warrenty with the new motor we put in...no i take that back the first problem wont the motor....the first problem was fuel pump problems...the fuel pump would not turn on sometimes and if you wanted to get anywhere u had to get under the vehicle and reach up between the exhaust and driveshaft and wiggle the wires on the fuel pump...we fixed the fuel pump with a new pump and new wiring..then the motor problems came...

on one hand it would be cheaper for me to fix these problems and have a dependable truck...but im tired of fuggin with it and im ready to sell it and get another pickup

Sounds like my old piece of ****. When it worked like it should I loved it, but even the new motor is starting to eat intake gaskets! I sold it to my dad cheap after I fixed it up, and put a new motor in it.

The intake isn't bad or warped either. I hope you get a good new motor, and don't have all of the problems I did. I'd tell you what I ended up replacing it with, but then this thread would turn into a spazz fest.:ermm:

TacomaNC4X4
01-18-2006, 10:23 PM
well all the new trucks are just not as tough as the older ones. the companys are tryin to get by the cheap way now so they make more money

Diedrich
01-19-2006, 12:06 AM
i got a 96 Z-71 and my brakelights quit working...i got a short in the wires somewhere..go reach under the back bumper and find the wiring harness and just wiggle it around..thats what i done to mine and they started working again...also there is a swith on the taillight that goes bad quite often so that could also be the problem

TCracin440ex
01-19-2006, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by 86350x
Sounds like my old piece of ****. When it worked like it should I loved it, but even the new motor is starting to eat intake gaskets! I sold it to my dad cheap after I fixed it up, and put a new motor in it.

The intake isn't bad or warped either. I hope you get a good new motor, and don't have all of the problems I did. I'd tell you what I ended up replacing it with, but then this thread would turn into a spazz fest.:ermm:

ive got a good motor...and if anything happens to it im not worried about that like i said ive got a free lifetime warrenty on it so if it slings a rod tomorrow i get a new 1 and a 400 dollar money refund to have another mechanic put the motor in the truck

tacoma...this i know man.....the older 1970s and 1980s chevrolet pick-ups were bomb proof...when i was a kid my dad had a 70 pickup 4x4 that me and him built...this thing was a hoss...it could take just about anything we threw at it

died....did all 3 of them quit working or only the tail brake lights...cuz my 3rd aint working either....

and this switch where is it at

BradB
01-19-2006, 01:14 AM
I have a 97 S-10 that the brake lights,hazard lights,and door dinger quit working in.. I checked the fuse and it was blown, so i put a new one in,and it blew within 5 minutes.. I guess it was a short in the trailer harness thing, cause i chopped it off,and put a new one on,and it hasn't done it since.. Not saying this is your problem, but I have a friend with a 98 Chev 1/2 ton,and it did the same thing, and it was the same problem. I know you said you checked the fuse, but make sure you checked the right one. The diagram on my friends silverado was confusing as all hell,and i checked the wrong one the first time..

TCracin440ex
01-19-2006, 01:33 AM
i checked the right ones bro...i have no idea what it could be im stumped by this....

popo
01-19-2006, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by TacomaNC4X4
you need to sell that thing and get you a ford, a f250 powerstroke. its a proven fact...the new chevys just dont hold up like the new fords. so do yourself a real favor and get rid of it before it causes more problems. when it comes to that electiacal stuff it could be anything. it could even be a loose ground somewhere or a short in the hardest to get to place. i dont know what to tell ya

Prove it?

250rider1
01-19-2006, 03:05 PM
my bad u r right it was an 02 35th anniversary but he got it in 03. and yah he did feel pretty good about the car but he likes his z06 better

TCracin440ex
01-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by popo
Prove it?

somebody got owned

thats the matter of opinion, because if the newer vehicles didnt last long everybody would be driving an antique...we have a 90 chevolet silverado....270k miles on it....runs like a top not 1 problem at all...transmission is getting a little weak after 270k mile...the motor dont knock, the motor dont smoke or tick...and the 90 has the same 350 w/o the vortech thowith the 4L60E transmission...

Ralph
01-19-2006, 05:04 PM
i think i know the problem...

does it have this? :D

http://www.mrtaillight.com/images/94CV999B.jpg

TCracin440ex
01-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
i think i know the problem...

does it have this? :D

http://www.mrtaillight.com/images/94CV999B.jpg

nope....it dont have bling bling chevrolet emblems...if it had a blue oval then it would be a problem

Ralph
01-19-2006, 05:15 PM
nope....it dont have bling bling chevrolet emblems...if it had a blue oval then it would be a problem

nvm then i dunno what the problem is then

TCracin440ex
01-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
nvm then i dunno what the problem is then

lmgdao

KansasKidd
01-19-2006, 05:49 PM
At least two of your mysteries have somthing in common. When you press on your break pedal, your hazards should stop flashing. I would suspect that your break light switch is probably the culpritt. My truck did the same thing. On this body style of pickup, the break light switch should be a white, rectangular plastic box. If it would help at all, i would suggest that you go to an autoparts store and ask for the switch, if nothing else, then at least you will know what you're looking for. As for the hazards not working, your switch is probably the culprit there to.

TCracin440ex
01-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by KansasKidd
At least two of your mysteries have somthing in common. When you press on your break pedal, your hazards should stop flashing. I would suspect that your break light switch is probably the culpritt. My truck did the same thing. On this body style of pickup, the break light switch should be a white, rectangular plastic box. If it would help at all, i would suggest that you go to an autoparts store and ask for the switch, if nothing else, then at least you will know what you're looking for. As for the hazards not working, your switch is probably the culprit there to.

yea i knew the haz are tied to the brake lights, but even when i dont hit the brakes and try to turn the haz lights on they wont work

KansasKidd
01-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Yeah i was thinking maybe a short in the switch is causing your hazard problems, but i could very well be wrong. Just tryin to throw some options on the table for ya.

Tom TRX250R
01-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Look directly underneath the steering wheel up by the steering column and you will see a little white box. I would definately try replacing the brake switch and if it isn't it, the part only costs about $8 so its not a big loss. Just make sure to have someone on hand with small hands to wedge the fingers up there to release the clip. To be able to see it you have to get upside down and basically have you head by the pedals looking up at the steering column, and you'll see it. Good luck man!

TCracin440ex
01-19-2006, 09:14 PM
is there anyway i can check the switch....i wonder if i pull the switch off my mothers tahoe and put it up in there will it work....its the same bodystyle and everything so it should correct

KansasKidd
01-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Well you can try, but my experience with that is that its almost impossible to get one of those off without breaking it. Of course i have anger managment problems to, i get pissed and start tearin **** up. You can try it, but it might cost you a brake light switch in the end.

TCracin440ex
01-19-2006, 10:56 PM
lol...i dont have patience for stuff like this either....esp if i cant find the problem and all odds are pulling against me...

prepracing
01-19-2006, 11:15 PM
after 3 days of no luck on the good ole' exriders forum, try somekind of chevy truck forum.... or just take it to a mechanic. From the sounds of everybody elses its a pretty common problem so they could probably track it down pretty quick before they had to charge a arm and leg to fix it :devil:

TCracin440ex
01-19-2006, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by prepracing
after 3 days of no luck on the good ole' exriders forum, try somekind of chevy truck forum.... or just take it to a mechanic. From the sounds of everybody elses its a pretty common problem so they could probably track it down pretty quick before they had to charge a arm and leg to fix it :devil:

shyt im tryin to avoid a mechanic in everyway possible because i do not want to be railed in the *** for a fix that me or either 1 of my family members can track down with just a lil time

TCracin440ex
01-20-2006, 08:45 PM
well its offical this truck is a pos....tonight the transmission went....it left me sitting onside of the road....the transmission aint doin nothin but grinding when you put it in gear....

Ralph
01-20-2006, 11:24 PM
well its offical this truck is a pos....tonight the transmission went....it left me sitting onside of the road....the transmission aint doin nothin but grinding when you put it in gear....

Oh, transmission.... sure its not a dodge?:blah:

TCracin440ex
01-21-2006, 12:05 AM
nope its not a goat....idk what the hell is wrong with the tranny...

prepracing
01-21-2006, 12:48 AM

maybe all those "muddin" trips weren't such a good idea afterall :devil:

TCracin440ex
01-21-2006, 02:49 AM
to be honest with you the mud i dont think had anyhting to do with it...and it aint like i would get the thing in soupy mud it was just a few puddles arround the house...

CTmxyfz
01-21-2006, 07:40 AM
mud wouldn't do that. My buddy had a 98 1500 and he romped the piss out of that truck. he detonated he tranny twice doing burnouts and what not. He said he smoked it, i take a look at it and that chit like blew up.

Anyway, i had this problem with my bronco. yes, its a ford and its an 87, but i had to have all the wired checked from the fuses to each light. low and behold, where the wires go through the firewall, they were frayyed and shorting out. Funny thing was though it was't causing the fuse to pop. See if you can get a skematic(sp?) of the dash/truck and starting tracking wires.

TCracin440ex
01-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by CTmxyfz
mud wouldn't do that. My buddy had a 98 1500 and he romped the piss out of that truck. he detonated he tranny twice doing burnouts and what not. He said he smoked it, i take a look at it and that chit like blew up.

yea thats my theory too...chevrolet wouldnt have put 4x4 on the truck if they didnt intend for it to be used in sticky situations....MUD, SNOW....ETC..

MOFO
01-21-2006, 03:18 PM
Mud itself could cause these issues, however I think it could be more due to vibration of the truck jumping around. If your like me when your messing around, your WOT and its not a smooth ride. With the age of the truck, something could have worked loose.

Like the guy said above, it could just be a wire that is grounding out, or you lost a main ground somewhere. This is probably your problem.

exrider07
01-22-2006, 09:51 AM
i just had the same prob with my jimmy. it ended up being the multi function switch. you have to take the steering column out to put it in.

Rastus
01-22-2006, 01:22 PM
Trans. on this type of truck (4L60E) have a median age of about 120K-140K miles. Some go alot longer and then some go shorter, it just depends on if you beat it and/or tow a lot. My guess is that something planetary related went out, which is why you get grinding and no movement. :uhoh:

Hope you get 'er fixed. If you get it rebuilt, definately get it beefed alittle and atleast get a shift kit. :D

Oh yea, TCracin440ex would ya clean out your PM box. I've tried sending you a PM a few times and no luck yet. :)

TCracin440ex
01-22-2006, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
Mud itself could cause these issues, however I think it could be more due to vibration of the truck jumping around. If your like me when your messing around, your WOT and its not a smooth ride. With the age of the truck, something could have worked loose.

Like the guy said above, it could just be a wire that is grounding out, or you lost a main ground somewhere. This is probably your problem.

i honestly dont believe mud is the culprit because i didnt mud with it alot....sure id splash arround but i didnt burry it...i believe the culprit was hot rodding it...

rastus...PM box clean

the guy who helped me get it out of the road said it sounds like the torque converter done chewed up....

im going to have a transmission specialist look at it this week...so he can tell me whats wrong with it....if its the torque converter then im going to get a new torquer for it....but if he says its the tranny im going to take my tax returns and get another one to go in there....i cant stand the fact of not bein able to drive my truck...i should have it up and running again within a week or 2...hell when the motor went we had a new motor in within a week

Rastus
01-22-2006, 04:52 PM
It could be the TC too. I guess you'll find out soon. :scary:

TCracin440ex
01-22-2006, 05:24 PM
yea im hoping so...

TCracin440ex
01-22-2006, 06:52 PM
well if it is the torque converter...what would a good torque converter to get...i dont want a stall or anything...because this is not a drag truck....this is my daily driver and i dont want something where if im sitting at the stop light its gonna take off like a damn bullet out of a gun....i dont want a stock either

TCracin440ex
01-23-2006, 03:12 PM
well the truck is at the transmission shop now...i should find out whats wrong with it in the next few days i hope to get this t ranny rebuild or fix on the raod sometime soon cuz its drivin me crazy not having my truck...it depressed me seein my truck bein drug down the highway by a wrecker

TCracin440ex
01-23-2006, 03:31 PM
i really appreciate all the comments and help guys...this truely is a great site...the brake/hazz lights can be put on hold for right now...i have a grandfather is an electrician and can probally trace the problem down in a matter of no time...right now my main concern is the tranny....because without the tranny and bein able to go....the brake and hazz lights are useless....i dont need them if the thing is going to sit in one spot lol...

Rastus
01-23-2006, 07:58 PM
I'd say you'd like a 2K RPM stall converter. The stocker is just plain way too low IMO. You can actually use a stock TC off a S-10/Blazer that has a 4L60E, they stall around 2K.

Whatever you do, if you have to get a TC, make sure it is a locking converter. For some reason, I don't believe that it's the TC. If it was it would grind all the time, instead of just grinding in gear. :confused:

TCracin440ex
01-23-2006, 08:57 PM
I'd say you'd like a 2K RPM stall converter. The stocker is just plain way too low IMO. You can actually use a stock TC off a S-10/Blazer that has a 4L60E, they stall around 2K.

Whatever you do, if you have to get a TC, make sure it is a locking converter. For some reason, I don't believe that it's the TC. If it was it would grind all the time, instead of just grinding in gear. :confused:

well it dont grind when its in park, but it grinds when its in Reverse, nurtrel(sp), and in all 4 gears

before the thing went out on me....it was already making a clicking/grinding noise...at first it only done it while it was in first gear, then once the tranny shifted into second and the rest of the gears it would stop....then it worsened and it got where it was doing it thru every gear...

ive also heard somebody say it could be the planetary(sp) gears

Rastus
01-23-2006, 09:51 PM
I'd say it's the planetaries too. :scary:

Get 'er built or switch to a 4L80E and forget about it. :macho

TCracin440ex
01-23-2006, 10:00 PM
im goin to rebuild er...proally with new planetary gears, new torque converter, and a b&m shift kit....hopefully with this or whatever else i might need to fix...im going to go aftermarket...so when i stomp on the gas...i aint gotta worrie about the damn thing breaking again

nosliw
01-23-2006, 11:03 PM
i'm sure you can get an allison 1000 to fit ;) :eek:

TCracin440ex
01-23-2006, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by nosliw
i'm sure you can get an allison 1000 to fit ;) :eek:

if im going to do all that im going to put a TH 400 in there with as much aftermarket shyt in there and have an unbreakable tranny

86350x
01-24-2006, 12:16 AM

My pos tranny went at 70 thousand, and it was taken care of. What I did was have it rebuilt a bit better. Cheapest way to go, and its been about 80k since. It does still do towing also.

I'd tell you about how much better the new truck is, but past posts show that this is a touchy subject.:ermm:

TCracin440ex
01-24-2006, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by 86350x
My pos tranny went at 70 thousand, and it was taken care of. What I did was have it rebuilt a bit better. Cheapest way to go, and its been about 80k since. It does still do towing also.

I'd tell you about how much better the new truck is, but past posts show that this is a touchy subject.:ermm:

yea i know a new truck would be the "wise" choice...but man i look at it like this...ive got a motor in the truck now with a LIFETIME warrenty...hell dealers dont even give that these days on brand new vehicles...as long as i own the truck ill get new motors free for life if they keep grenading....

2nd way i look at it...if i fix this transmission and which i am going to do...im going to use top of the line TCI or B&M parts...im going to make it where it will take the "abuse" that i put out weither it be 4-wheeling it, or hot rodding it...

3rd way i look at this....my truck is paid for...nobody holds the title to my truck but me...i dont want to forefit the extra money i can be dumping into other things i want because ill have to be making a new truck payment every month...paying with cash isnt an option here since i kno i dont have 30k to go drop on a brand new rig...and if a new truck was the answer i dont want to buy used because i really dont want to be buying somebody else' problems...

its not a touchy subject with me, its just i cant afford it...im only 19 years old and im not trying to fork out that cash every month when i got something that is very good and well paid for...and not only that im not even paying my insurance right now but it has been put in fine print...that i will be made to pay my insurance at one point...but ive been told that if i get me a new vehicle that my insurance premium will go up...and that means im going to ahve to start paying immediately....my insurance payment is 120 a month now....i believe i can swing 120 a month once i get on my feet and ish...im not trying to have to pay out full coverage because the bank still posses the title of my vehicle

TCracin440ex
01-24-2006, 10:11 AM
well the transmission specialist called me today and ive got good news

the good first: the transmission is fine...nothing wrong with it at all...

Now for the bad: my transfer case has done went out....any ideas what could have caused this....

Titanium
01-24-2006, 10:24 AM
I had a leak in my transfer case so thats what made mine go out.

TCracin440ex
01-24-2006, 11:40 AM
now im wondering what could have caused this transfer case to grenade..

TCracin440ex
01-24-2006, 11:43 AM
now i want to do something to the trans too now....idk if i want to get a shift kit or what...

Rastus
01-24-2006, 12:22 PM
if im going to do all that im going to put a TH 400 in there with as much aftermarket shyt in there and have an unbreakable tranny

You won't have OD, since a TH400 doesn't have it. :(

It's good news it was the transfer case. Usually you don't see those go out unless you don't check the fluid in it at all.
You shouldn't have much trouble if it's just the transfer case. :cool:

TCracin440ex
01-24-2006, 02:51 PM
You won't have OD, since a TH400 doesn't have it. :(

It's good news it was the transfer case. Usually you don't see those go out unless you don't check the fluid in it at all.
You shouldn't have much trouble if it's just the transfer case. :cool:

well yea transfer case is pretty eazy to change out...the transmission place today said these transfer cases aint that strong...i have no idea what could have caused this thing to go out...but ive already found a hell of a deal on a new 1...250 bucks w/ lifetime warrenty....

TCracin440ex
01-24-2006, 02:59 PM
so i can breathe a sigh of relief that my transmission is not screwed up....so the truck should be up and running in the matter of no time thank god

TCracin440ex
01-29-2006, 01:27 PM
well well well...been a few days since i updated this thread....umm...the goodnews is...the transfer case is GOOD...the bad news is the transmission is really shot...today we put the new transfer case in....and the truck is still f-ed up....hell you can push the damn thing with it in park...so we went ahead and dropped the transmission pan...and well what do you know i found hunks of metal in there some the size of small rocks...this damn transmission place i took my truck to dont know shyt....this idiot has been building transmissions for 20+ years and this moron didnt know that the transfer case is fine...this week im going to see if the place i got the transfer case will let me trade this transfer case in + more cash for another 4L60E transmission...this is so damn depressing i cant even see straight

tomorrow morning im going to go show this "transmission specialist" what i found in the bottom of my pan....

APK400exRacer
01-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Where is this place that you get all these parts with a life time warranty? Id like to know so when i get a truck i can use it.

TCracin440ex
01-29-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by APK400exRacer
Where is this place that you get all these parts with a life time warranty? Id like to know so when i get a truck i can use it.

cunningham brothers out of lynchburg, va....its a salvage yard but they are very very very reputable....

APK400exRacer
01-29-2006, 04:44 PM
Do they ship? Is all the stuff they sell rebuilt or just salvaged?

TCracin440ex
01-29-2006, 04:48 PM
they ship too...but all their mechanical parts they offer lifetime warrenty on...i know ive bought a motor from them they gave me a lifetime warrenty on it...i bought the transfer case from them....they gave me a lifetime on that....and im gettin ready to go back and get a transmission from them

TCracin440ex
01-29-2006, 06:21 PM
pics of some of the metal that came out of the bottom of my tranny today...in the middle is a penny to give you a scale size

TCracin440ex
01-29-2006, 06:22 PM

TCracin440ex
01-29-2006, 06:23 PM