PDA

View Full Version : Tire suggestions

QuadJunkies
01-17-2006, 11:08 AM
My Daughter has been having issues spinning out FT racing the last two races . Shes haulin butt into the corners now and She is not getting the traction she was before (beofre the stoker motor). She now blows the tires off :D Shes not hookin up as well and I would like to check into a LITTLE wider of a tire for some added traction . We also done a few minor clutch/roller and belt changes lately to make it run ever better

I know MY tires are WAY too big for it , is there a snow hog or shredder thats one size up from the 16 inchers??

This track is loose not packed. Even thought us grown ups run slicks , we would like to keep the minis with a knobbie tire.

thanks for your suggestions.

howmuchnow
01-17-2006, 01:12 PM
ya the snowhog comes in 18" but I dont think the width changes . I would try an 18 x 9.5 x 8 turf tammer for flat track or go with american racers

BradLoomis
01-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Depends on what you mean by going "one size up" on the 16" snow hogs.

16" snowhogs are 16.3" tall and 6.2" wide.
18" snowhags are 17.3" wide and 6.6" wide.

So if you are wanting to go taller into the true 18" area, their are lots of options available to you.

Carlisle, ITP and Greenball, all offer 18" tires up to about 10" in width so you shouldn't have any issues.

But if you are wanting to stay in the shorter 16" version... you might need to check into golf cart tires and modify them with either horse nips or an actual tread carving hot knife tool. The Carlisle Turf Master might fit the needs.

http://www.carlisletire.com/products/turf_handlers/turf_master/product_large.jpg

16 x 7.50 - 8 16.4" tall and 7.1" wide gains you an extra inch width on both tires without messing with your center of gravity or gearing. They also can be setup with their directional tread to aid in cornering.

I hope this might help you some Tina.

Just my 2 cents worth, Brad

QuadJunkies
01-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by BradLoomis

I hope this might help you some Tina.

Just my 2 cents worth, Brad

Well that gives me some options to work with . Thanks Brad ;)

I am avoiding slicks for a few difference reasons

And I would like to keep it low in height and a wider tire.

I think Ive seen that tire you posted the pic of before at the track once before.I didnt care much for it but hot knifing it might change my outlook :)

QuadJunkies
01-17-2006, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by howmuchnow
ya the snowhog comes in 18" but I dont think the width changes . I would try an 18 x 9.5 x 8 turf tammer for flat track or go with american racers

Im getting Amer. racers before she is :eek: :p lol

dirtmomma
01-18-2006, 08:42 AM
Tina have you tried letting air out of her tires??? I'm sure you have ;) I was going to suggest A/R also!! She could get them too hook I'm sure!!
You could check on a turf saver?? thats what we ran on our blaster forever & STILL do!!! They come in 18x11x8, more tire but more to touch the ground?!! How bout a turf tamer???? We put those on Trev's for the 1st race????
I'm wanting to get him a set of A/R for the rears on our clay tracks maybe for his BD who knows!!

Good Luck :D:D

QuadJunkies
01-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Tina have you tried letting air out of her tires??? I'm sure you have ;) I was going to suggest A/R also!! She could get them too hook I'm sure!!
You could check on a turf saver?? thats what we ran on our blaster forever & STILL do!!! They come in 18x11x8, more tire but more to touch the ground?!! How bout a turf tamer???? We put those on Trev's for the 1st race????
I'm wanting to get him a set of A/R for the rears on our clay tracks maybe for his BD who knows!!

Good Luck :D:D thanks DM

Troywas told to be careful on how big a rear tire werun . I guess its hard on the stroker? I think for short periods of time its OK but I dont want a taller tire just a WIDER tire foradded traction
yes, we mess with the tire pressure at almost all the races since the dirt is never the same ;)
That mini isnt getting slicks this year. I dont think she would know how to run them right off the bad,shes used to her knobbies. that might besomething for next year to think about but thats alot of dough for a local race .A knobby she could use year round and she could also maybe use this when the WORCS race came.
She has a set of rear Fast Trekkers but they are no way a good tire for FT racing in . She tried that and got away the 1st year racing on them but she was ALOT slower and didnt corner in them .

dirtmomma
01-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Hmmm now you have my brain working overtime :eek2: there has to be SOMETHING in the cheaper range for her to try wish we were closer we have a little of this & little of that LOL HEY this just popped into my head how bout some little H-tracks like I run on my 300 they are an 16" tire I do believe do you know what I"m talking abuot???????? Let me see if I can find a pic of them there HAS to be someone out there w/ an old 3 wheeler w/ these on it hahaha
OK I just went out & took pics of the tires I'm talking about I'll post them in a minute :D:D:D

dirtmomma
01-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Ok here we go sorry took them w/ my phone LOL but here you can get an idea of what I am talking about, these hook up AWESOME on the clay & I think they would work good for a mini also, they are 16" tall I do believe, they are definetly smaller than a 18" turf tamer!! Hmmm maybe we'll throw them on Trev's quad for next months race & try them out that owuld save US some $$ too :D

dirtmomma
01-18-2006, 11:46 AM
next

dirtmomma
01-18-2006, 11:48 AM
OK last one, sorry tey are FILTHY :o these are on steel wheels too!! But you can get an idea hope this helps :D

QuadJunkies
01-18-2006, 11:58 AM
How about for a Sandy loose track?? do they work for that ?They totally changed the dirt here this year and we no longer have blue groove or any clay :( Next race Ill get some pics of what Im referring to ..

dirtmomma
01-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
How about for a Sandy loose track?? do they work for that ?They totally changed the dirt here this year and we no longer have blue groove or any clay :( Next race Ill get some pics of what Im referring to ..

Well I think it would be worth a try to try & find a set to borrow maybe as for the sandy track IDK I think they would work but what the heck do I know LOL:blah:
Maybe you guys should try grooving her tires she has now???!!! Take a few lugs out here & there!! I nkow it SUCKS to spin out all the time :( been there done that on that darn blaster & MINE! My biggest thing was/is THROTTLE CONTROL :) she may have to work on that a little more now since she has more power, just a thought :) have her "work" her throttle thru the turn?? IDK hahaha if it didn't cost so much to ship tires I'd ship em to her to try :) maybe I can roll them down the pass & you guys pick em up @ the bottom LOL ;);):)

QuadJunkies
01-18-2006, 11:39 PM
She got the throddle figured out... PIN IT !!!!!!!!! :blah: :o :p :devil:

Shes starting to hit the rear brakes in corners now, shes acutally got a heck fo a style for a mini rider!:macho

I think the key right now is TRACTION.... The rest is all gravy .;)