PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered an HMF slip-on for 300ex, what else will I need?

DamnRock
01-17-2006, 09:33 AM
hey guys, I just ordered an HMF slip-on for my wifes 300ex... it's a birthday present so I want to be sure I have everything I need before I tell her about it otherwise it's a pretty lame present if it can't be used immediately.

So, the exhaust will come with the "required" jets and spark arrestor... I figured I'd get a K&N filter and outerwears...

is there anything else I will need? Is there a pilot jet, needle or other carb related part I will need? Should I run with the lid off with this setup?

Thanks in advance!

Rocky

300exOH
01-17-2006, 09:39 AM
You could pick up a 40 or 42 pilot jet to make it easier to start when cold. You will get a little more power without the lid but if you ride in wet/muddy trails then I would keep the lid on or at least pick up an outerwear airbox cover. HMF should be able to tell you whether their jetting recommendations are for with or without the lid.

ltz400rider118
01-17-2006, 07:13 PM
EAR PLUGS!!!:blah:

bwamos
01-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by DamnRock
hey guys, I just ordered an HMF slip-on for my wifes 300ex... it's a birthday present so I want to be sure I have everything I need before I tell her about it otherwise it's a pretty lame present if it can't be used immediately.

So, the exhaust will come with the "required" jets and spark arrestor... I figured I'd get a K&N filter and outerwears...

is there anything else I will need? Is there a pilot jet, needle or other carb related part I will need? Should I run with the lid off with this setup?

Thanks in advance!

Rocky

You should be fine with a new main jet, filter, outerwear and slip-on.

Stock pilot should be fine, most jsut screw the air screw out to far (for some reason people think opening up an "air screw" makes it richer???? It makes it leaner). Raise the needle 1 spot from stock (drop the clip).

Turn in the air screw until it seats (lightly). Increase the idle a little bit (about 200rpm) just for the tuning process so the engine is stable at idle. Start up the motor (safe, it's runnign rich now), let it warm up a little. Turn out the air screw 1/4 turn. The engine will speed up some. Give it about 15 seconds to catch up. Turn it out another 1/4 turn every 15 seconds until the last turn doesn't increase the engine speed. Turn it back in a 1/2 turn. (1/4 turn to get back to optimum, and a 1/4 turn for savtey). This will set your air screw perfectly. Now slow your idle back down 200rpm.

Oh, and since you have a stock header still.. I'd run lid on, until you replace the header.

oldskoolex400
01-20-2006, 09:37 PM
130 main jet 2 1/2 turns on the fuel screw and raise the needle 1 spot from stock (drop the clip). like he said and u should be good are u at a high alt.

drifterx
01-20-2006, 10:29 PM
I got a K&N, and a Dynojet jet kit for mine. I jetted exacly what they recomended, and it was dead on!

oldskoolex400
01-20-2006, 10:56 PM
depends on where you are none of us know what we are talkin about unless we are at the same altitutde just look at your plug black is rich white is lean u want it a golden brown color everybody will have different answers tho dont pay any attention really just adjust it to that it took me 2 or 3 mj changes to get it right

big bad beny
01-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Dont get a K&N filter they are junk and this is way. They suck in more air wich is more HP but they flow so much air they do not clean the air verry good there for sand and gret gets in the motor and then the silder will get skardj. Get a UNI or a Twin-Air