PDA

View Full Version : Burning 3 Qts. Of Oil In One Week!...?

MODESEVEN
01-17-2006, 06:26 AM
I DO ALOT OF WHEELIES AND STREET RIDING.I DONT KNOW IF THIS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT,BUT I RECENTLY DID A OIL CHANGE AND NOW I HAVE NO OIL.I WAS WARMING THE QUAD UP,WALKED AWAY,CAME BACK AND THE HEADERS WERE GLOWING ORANGE!I KNOW THIS ISNT GOOD.
MY QUESTION IS;
-WHY DID I BURN ALL THAT OIL UP IN ABOUT 5 HOURS OF RIDING?
-DID I DO DAMAGE WHN I HEATED UP THE HEADERS?
-DOES THE 400 HAVE ANY OVERHEATING PREVENTION?

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR REPLYS.-MODESEVEN

bwamos
01-17-2006, 08:17 AM
1) You probably either have bad rings, or a bad seal somewhere, and the atv is actually squirting the oil out as you're riding. But odds are someone filled up the oil with the cooler empty, and didn't recheck the level after running the engine for about 30seconds.

2) Pipe should be ok.. but if your pipe got orange, your piston probably got white hot. You'd better check the piston and sleeve. Could even burn up the valves. (Do a leakdown test.)

3) No, none, nadda, it's air cooled.

fitethesystom
01-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Yeah I hear about the 400exs using oil quite a bit, but that definately sounds like something is wrong, I would open it up and see. ALWAYS check your oil at the beginning of each ride, and after. That's alot of oil consumption, I would go ahead and rip it off and bore (if needed), new piston & rings, gaskets, and maybe valves. But, before that, do the following: Compression test. (range for 400ex: 100-128 psi), do a cold compression test, then add one tablespoon of engine oil into the cylinder, re-do compression test. If your reading goes up with the oil then you have ring/bore sealing problem. If it does not, you have valve issues. Also do a leak down test, which can be done by your local dealer for $70 or so (1 hours labor) and you will know exactly what it is. Hope this helps.

MODESEVEN
01-18-2006, 11:47 PM
thanks.FOUND OUT.ITS NORMAL FOR THE HEADERS TO GLOW WHEN THE CHOKE IS LEFT ON FOR TO LONG.ALSO I DIDNT RUN THE MOTOR THEN CHECK OIL.THANKS.

fitethesystom
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
But how do you explain using 3 courts of oil per week?....thats NOT normal and I would STOP riding right away so you don't seize the motor up!

400exrider36
01-19-2006, 08:04 PM
my old 400ex went through a considerably large amount of oil as well...

bwamos
01-20-2006, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by fitethesystom
But how do you explain using 3 courts of oil per week?....thats NOT normal and I would STOP riding right away so you don't seize the motor up!

I don't think it was a consistent problem like 3 quarts in a week every week. I think he put in the oil, ran it, but didn't recheck level. It filled up the crank case, and oil cooler, leaving no oil left in the resivour tank.

fitethesystom
01-20-2006, 11:35 AM
400exrider36 did yours smoke?

400exrider36
01-20-2006, 03:13 PM
it did a little when i put it full out, but it wasnt too bad...

400exrules
01-20-2006, 04:10 PM
uhhhhhh........i keep 2 quarts in my 400, and it doesnt burn it. it say the same amount from when i put it in, to when it turns dark and i change it, and its a 1999.
I do occasionally get like one small puff of black smoke from the exhaust on start up, but thats about it

i say you have some serious problems goin on, either tear it apart immediately, or take it to a shop. DONT ride it anymore