PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good guitar and amp?

Punk'd
01-16-2006, 11:33 PM
Im looking for a electric guitar around $200 and im not just learning how to play. I have been playing for a while and im looking for something that I will not regret having.

The Ibanez GRG170DX seems to be like a good match for what im looking for.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/5/8/7/229587.jpg

Also.. Im looking for a good amp for around $60 and I know that wont go very far, but I found this 20watt one that looks to be nice.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/4/5/7/265457.jpg

Amp: $59.99-sale, LIST$139.00

Guitar: $225.99-sale, LIST: $342.84

If anyone could suggest something else or give me info on these products that would be great.

Thanks alot:)

pastfast125
01-16-2006, 11:48 PM
I used to have basically that same ibanez. I liked it when I first got it, and played it for about a year probably...but as soon as I got my new jackson, I never touched it again. It's ok though. Go to guitar center or sme store and try one out. And you're not gonna get much out of a 20 watt amp, I have a 60 watt tube amp, and I wish I had something better. But You are limited for the price your trying to stick with. My suggestion would be save up and get a better amp, but like I said, go to the store and try some stuff out.

XCAdam89
01-17-2006, 05:00 AM
Ibanez makes a good axe, but I'm not so fond of "Drive" amps. You should look into a crate or a Roland Cube 30. They will sound alot better. Also, on that particular Ibanez the middle pick-up might bother you, but it might not. Personally, a middle pick up always gets in my way, so I now have a Jackson with 2 EMG-HZ's.

urb'nyouthfilms
01-17-2006, 11:54 AM
i had the exact same guitar, great starter!

ShiftFMX
01-17-2006, 12:24 PM
I had almost the same guitar, but it was an RG. I liked it for a little while...then I wished I had something better. And If I were you, I would deffinatly try and save up for a nicer amp, such as a crate or fender amp.

And by nicer...I mean BIGGER!

Ruby Soho
01-17-2006, 12:38 PM
The guitar is decent, good beginners.

The amp, don't even go there.

Try out a Line6 or a Cube 30.

The 30 would be an awsome investment, its tube, which means louder.

Your best bet is to go to a guitar shop and try them both out

A good Idea is the Fender FM65R, it has great cleans, but the distortion isn't that great. So you buy a distortion pedal.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me or something, I can help you out

XCAdam89
01-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
The guitar is decent, good beginners.

The amp, don't even go there.

Try out a Line6 or a Cube 30.

The 30 would be an awsome investment, its tube, which means louder.

Your best bet is to go to a guitar shop and try them both out

A good Idea is the Fender FM65R, it has great cleans, but the distortion isn't that great. So you buy a distortion pedal.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me or something, I can help you out

I agree and Disagree.

A cube 30 would be great, but don't get a fender amp. I've had one, my friend's have had them and they have all crapped out. Get something decent. Spend some money on a good amp. My Squier Strat sounds pretty decent out of my crate amp, but nothing compared to my jackson.

Also, you might want to look into a Jackson guitar as well. I have the DXMG Dinky and I love it! I highly reccommend Jackson Guitars! Alot of rock players play either Jackson or Ibanez, but it's a preference. I'm sure the one you are looking at will be fine. If you want a whammy-bar though, I wouldn't get the tremulo that is on the guitar you posted, but a Liscensed Floyd Rose instead.

For a little insight into what I'm talking about, here's my rig:

http://myspace-536.vo.llnwd.net/00384/63/53/384173536_l.jpg

Ruby Soho
01-17-2006, 05:13 PM
I have a

Fender Fat Strat

Line6 Spider II 112 / Footswitch

Behringer Ultraroc 110

And Some Mics

I HAD, a Digitech Death Metal dist. Pedal, and the boss ds1.

Heres some crappy pictures

Ruby Soho
01-17-2006, 05:13 PM

Hondaexboy
01-17-2006, 05:18 PM
Go with the crate and the Fender squire guitar for beginner
the squire is a good all-round guitar too,I have a telecaster with a 120watt Crate...awsome

Ruby Soho
01-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Squier Telecasters are pretty good guitars.

Strats are... Well lets not go there:D

Since you said your not learning how, Id go with what you have picked out