PDA

View Full Version : WILKIN I NEED YOUR HELP. Clutch basket

250R4EVR
01-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Hey i was just wondering how do i get the Big gear off the back of the clutch basket? Do i just beat it off with a hammer or pull out the sledge-o-matic? Theres gotta be some trick to it.

250r4life
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
yah just get the sludge hammer and just start pounding away on the whole thing, and eventually is will come apart perfectly... :D
actually if its what i think your talking about, you have to grind off the little circle things that hold it together, and it'll come apart... i believe they stick up there in the basket, and you have to grind them off...

250R4EVR
01-16-2006, 08:04 PM
are you saying grind the pin thinggys off ??? i cant damage this gear in anyway lol ive gotta reusue it. or do i have to do it ?

250r4life
01-16-2006, 09:56 PM
k, i just went and took a look at my crap... i threw a whole new clutch in my bike this last summer... im assuming you're throwing a new basket in... on the back of the basket & the gear there is a plate that sits between the teeth of the gear and the whole... there are 8 little hole things, and you have to grind those out and that will release the gear from the basket... you will do it on the outside, not in the clutch basket... that is the only way i know to get the gear off...

wilkin250r
01-17-2006, 12:45 PM
Honestly, I can't help you. I don't know, I've never had to take that gear off. And I don't have my quad apart at the moment to look at it and figure it out.

Maybe Beerock can shed some light on it, he's got a lot of experience with the clutches on these things.

250r4life
01-17-2006, 01:07 PM
i cant beleive you have the original clutch basket in there with a 340 kit. mine was all notched up when mine was just piped... like i said i redid my clutch this last summer and thats what i had to do. thats what the directions for the hinson basket said to do...

jas250r
01-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Hopefully this will help, I had to replace mine with a hinson basket about two years ago. The pin things I think are factory rivets, use a center punch to mark the center of the rivets and use a I think it was a 3/16 or 5/32 drill bit and drill to remove enough material from the rivet head that you can separate the clutch basket gear and the oem basket. If you have already bought a new basket or waiting for its arrival this should be close to how they will tell you to remove the oem basket. My hinson used flat allen bolts to hold the outer rind and gear and basket together. hope this helps

250R4EVR
01-17-2006, 03:41 PM
i honestly cant see drilling a hole or grinding on them gears, ill just have to wait and see what hinsons says when the baskit come in.

E-ATV-Racing
01-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Get out the grinder, that is the best way to get it apart.

machwon
01-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Those are factory rivets. I have done sereral this way with no problems.

I take a 4" angle grinder to the head of the rivet and carefully grind it flush with the steel plate. Then take a punch and knock the rivet out. Then you can attach your new billet basket (I assume that's what you're doing here). Your basket should have instructions to drill the rivets out but that takes forever.

BLACKeR
01-18-2006, 05:16 AM
your not grinding on the gear side, grind on the clutch basket. or you can drill the face of the rivets off. done this more than once...

rebelbanshee
01-18-2006, 02:15 PM
you are grinding on the gear side. there is a flat plate on tye back of the gear. You will get a new one of these with your ned basket. So just grind those rivet heads down flush, pull/ply the plate off and the gear will come off

04'400ex'er
01-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by rebelbanshee
you are grinding on the gear side. there is a flat plate on tye back of the gear. You will get a new one of these with your ned basket. So just grind those rivet heads down flush, pull/ply the plate off and the gear will come off Its been several weeks now since you cleaned your air filter.

rebelbanshee
01-19-2006, 02:12 PM
No, read my sig. It says I cleaned it last week! :D

beerock
01-25-2006, 08:46 PM
i grind em its the fastest way

250R4EVR
01-25-2006, 08:57 PM
could someone send some pics ? i dont understand how the new basket will attach after i grind them off,

250R-Dee
01-26-2006, 02:59 AM
The gear is attached to the aftermarket cage with bolts after it is removed from the stock cage.

beerock
01-26-2006, 05:43 AM
use red loctite! ;)

wilkin250r
01-26-2006, 09:27 AM
It's simple enough to explain. I've never even done it, and I understand it just by reading this thread.

The gear is held on to the stock basket with rivets. The only way to get it off is to remove the rivets. Well, you don't want to grind on the gear itself, because you need to use it again. However, the stock basket is junk, so it doesn't matter if you nick it with the grinder, right? So grind the heads off the rivets from the basket side, and punch them out.

The new basket doesn't use rivets, it uses bolts in the same place as the rivets. Be sure to use some heavy-duty loctite on them bolts, you don't want them coming loose.