PDA

View Full Version : Taking ur airbox lid off. Good idea or not?

Quadboy350
01-16-2006, 04:04 PM
I have herd from a number or people that taking ur airbox lid off it increases horsepower and lets the quad run smoother. Is this True?

Chino886
01-16-2006, 04:08 PM
run smoother, I don't know....breathe a little better, yes...

most people run without....I would not recommend running without in sand though.......

key4202003
01-16-2006, 04:36 PM
h*ll yeah do it, might have to bump up pilot jet, but put lid back on: when ridding threw watter, gooey mud, and heavy dust, sand.

JOEX
01-16-2006, 04:38 PM
Many real duners run no airbox in the sand;)

Quadboy350
01-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Guess its comin off!!

wcbomb
01-17-2006, 06:00 PM
HEY QUADBOY350, I know it's off the subject I live only 10 minutes outside of Martinsville. Ever go riding up at the airport off Drunkkards ridge behind Paragon.

hrc
01-17-2006, 07:21 PM
Well since your taking your lid off you should try getting a out wears cover.

Quadboy350
01-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Hey is it called Hobbs if it is yes that place is pretty good.

bwamos
01-18-2006, 09:00 AM
I haven't run an airbox lid for years. Run an outewears on your K&N and you'll have no issues.

I ran it XC (MHSC) lidless. No problems.

Just make sure to remove the drain plug underneath so it doesn't jsut fill up the airbox with water when it splashes in.

JOEX
01-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by fitethesystom
haha... the mechanic at my dealer said he see's so many people take the lid off to get more power and he says alot of the bikes that come in for engine difficulty is cause of that.... Just what I heard...

Sand in combustion chamber = ouuuuuuuuchhhhhhhhhh
Last time I checked sand was much more coarse than dust.

If sand is getting in the combustion chamber the air filter isn't working properly, isn't maintained properly or isn't installed properly.

JOEX
01-18-2006, 08:23 PM
It's preference.... That's what I heard, and I believe it. They put it there for a reason...Go tell a car mechanic you took your air box lid off your SUV to get more power, he would call you a friggin idiot, but I'll leave it at that....
Apples and oranges;)

ride_red666
01-18-2006, 09:41 PM
it lets it breathe easier, a bit louder, and more power. i took my whole airbox out of my truck and work at a mechanics shop.

400exstud
01-19-2006, 02:44 PM
You're one of the few people I know who would remove the airbox off a god damn truck engine. Doesn't sound wise... Your engines sucking @#$% in all day from the road and you dont think that will affect it?....... dude if your going to do that why dont you just get a better filter? you ever seen what A turbo looks like with some dink whos taken the airbox lid off thinking their getting powergains? yeah @#$% it right up... YOU MIGHT AS WELL TAKE THE AIR FILTER OUT, TOO!!

For the most part, all that the airbox does is protect your filter from water and sand. Therefore it isn't necessary on a street vehicle because all of the road particles are so small that they would just go through your intake anyway.:o

82CSMiata
01-19-2006, 07:16 PM
For the kid that doesn't really understand the point in airbox lids on cars and trucks. The main purpose for an airbox assembly on a vehicle is to route air from a cooler source and to muffle the sound entering the passenger compartment. When you remove the airbox lid on a vehicle, you are allowing it to draw air in from within the engine bay, which tends to be heated air, so a poor designed aftermarket kit can be a performance loss. It is the airfilters job to keep dirt and sand out of the intake tract. As far as your fourwheeler is concerned, the best thing to do would be to get a much larger and much straighter less restrictive intake pipe pulling air from up high in front of the atv, but since that is not really logical and removing the airbox lid allows that added air that the bigger duct work would allow, it is an easy free mod. I my self outlined the rear section of the lid with a dremel about three inches leaving it attached in the middle, then heated it so that I could bend it down, which allows the airbox to suck in extra air, but sorda sheilds the filter from heavy debris. I got the idea from an HRC kit lid on my brothers 450r.:ermm:

JOEX
01-19-2006, 10:05 PM
I thought we were talking about quads?:confused:

BTW, I agree with 82CSMiata's reply;)

peecout
01-19-2006, 10:28 PM
It's preference.... That's what I heard, and I believe it. They put it there for a reason...Go tell a car mechanic you took your air box lid off your SUV to get more power, he would call you a friggin idiot, but I'll leave it at that....
You should ask yourself if there are any aftermarket companies(ex. K&N), If they make a kit that eliminates the restrictive airbox found on most cars and SUV's. I think you'll find that they do and it does improve performance!
Now you can say you learned something today from ATVRIDERS.com

:D
Or better yet, do this and quit complaining about a dirty airfilter!! I'll leave it at that...

fitethesystom
01-19-2006, 11:55 PM
what u have there looks a little more my language.

400exrules
01-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Many real duners run no airbox in the sand;)

ya, drag racers and duners dont even run an airbox

and where did all these tards come from :huh

take your d^mn lid off unless your goin mud boggin and you will be fine, you wont die.....your quad wont self-destruct, its ok.........

Honda TRX250ex
01-20-2006, 06:17 PM
i took mine off today to see any change. but she spit and spudder like you wouldent belive and im to lazy to jet it so

Quad Boy 660r
01-20-2006, 08:48 PM
I say you probably should have took it off when you installed your pipe. It would def need to be rejetted,so it could have been done at one time. I took the lid off my Raptor, and could not tell a difference at all. Every quad is different.

Jason, are we going riding this weekend?

peecout
01-21-2006, 11:03 AM
I cant believe how much air my 400 demands when I blurp the throttle. I can see the Outerwears material suck down in the airbox. The material breaths really good too!

Bound4Dirt
01-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Apples and oranges;)

I also agree. I wouldn't either. a motor is a motor. It is the same ;)
Just talked to local shop and a 400ex was in there with no lid and he is now doing a new top end!! Sand got into the motor. He showed me the snorkel and it had sand. Not worth the 1hp it gives IMHO

ride_red666
01-22-2006, 06:49 PM
sand wont get past the air filter unless u hav a hole in it or the air boot clamp isnt tight enough. put a pre filter on it and you will be fine. aslong as you dont do any mudding or water skimming.

Honda TRX250ex
01-22-2006, 07:39 PM
yeah i wouldent say to do it. unless you have a outwears airbox cover. and if you do check the air boots and make sure that they are connected. and check your air filter too.

Pick
01-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Yo Peecout.....I was just getting ready to order one of those airbox lids. How do you like yours?

XCredrider
01-23-2006, 03:51 PM
how would not running a lid let sand in?? if you have a filter on there it will just get more sand on it. its not going to let it in. that doesnt even make any sense. that guy had a cut in the filter or not properly connected. i rode my 250r in fl with no lid and no intake snorkle either and i never had the slightest bit of sand in my intake. and all florida is is sand. this is with constant roost from racing other quads and my uncles 500 dirtbike ;)

300ex#4
01-23-2006, 09:15 PM
i drilled half inch holes in my airbox and it helped the power and airflow considerably. i was afraid of too much water or dirt gettin in if i took the lid all the way off and some of my buddys who took theirs off say that me drilling holes in my lid helped as much as them taking theirs off.

peecout
01-23-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Pick
Yo Peecout.....I was just getting ready to order one of those airbox lids. How do you like yours?

I love mine but I like it better than the one s on ebay. I just cut mine out of a piece of plexiglass. WORKS GOOD!

jeepcj5nut
01-24-2006, 05:33 AM
First of all let me say: I am not affiliated with Dial-a-jet in any way.
I have read this article though and it gives another position on the original question for this thread and thought it might make good reading.

Read at you own risk.... This may induce thinking!!! (http://www.thunderproducts.com/AirboxArticle.htm)

Again let me state that: I am not affiliated with Dial-a-jet in any way.

Back to our regularly scheduled brewhaha. :devil:

Shawn